Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 17, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #7,474 of 9,173
Zx2 cradle docking station that I can transport Zx2 to pha3 and charge it together

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-Sony-Walkman-cradle-BCR-NWH10-for-NW-ZX2-ZX1-A10-F880-from-Japan-New-/221983939307?hash=item33af461aeb:g:Jr4AAOSwv0tVCs6K

It is cheap, useful, efficient, and also improve the sound quality

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #7,476 of 9,173
Nice.  I would own it as well if I had a Walkman.  Hopefully in your case, if you jump the gun to get the latest and greatest Walkman DAPs coming down the pipe, it'll fit.

First he will get the Z1r and mod the hell out of it....

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #7,478 of 9,173
Lol, no way :D I need to rob a bank for it. I am perfectly happy with modified Z7 :)

One question though, do you believe Sony that the golden plated copper housing of the new TOTL DAP is influencing the sound?

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #7,479 of 9,173
One question though, do you believe Sony that the golden plated copper housing of the new TOTL DAP is influencing the sound?

Short answer ?

Yes, but most likely not noticeable from the casing alone, and the sound differences is from other things more likely. Copper functionality alone here is just merely a shielding and the same as gold. The better the conductivity, the better the shielding. I doubt it is audible if it is just the shielding alone

Long answer ?

From my tinkering experiences ? Probably helps from the noisy environment but not much and is over killed . Looking at the shown pictures from the chassis and the circuitry though, the improvements come from grounding contact with the "copper-plated gold" the same thing on the casing but is isolated from the casing. The improvements come from these grounding terminals with better materials instead of Aluminum. The outer casing is more like a statements.

The next majority improvements would be the capacitors, resistors, and Kimber cables inside. This is where Sony impress on

So the changes are from the different components on the boards, and the casing chassis is just icing on the cake :) to make a statement "hey, I have the most expensive Walkman, yet"

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #7,480 of 9,173

I don't think @Whitigir would mind if I answer this.  I don't think it will be drastic but a copper chassis usually resulted in a warmer sound.  Not sure what gold would do to it honestly beside adding the sense of prestige.  Oh, yeah...I can hear the sound of my bank account breaking as well.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #7,481 of 9,173
I don't think @Whitigir
 would mind if I answer this.  I don't think it will be drastic but a copper chassis usually resulted in a warmer sound.  Not sure what gold would do to it honestly beside adding the sense of prestige.  Oh, yeah...I can hear the sound of my bank account breaking as well.

:) I agreed, Copper as conductive terminals or jacks or plugs generally carry this "warmth". If you look closely at the assembly, both Z and A is still using this "copper gold plated inner chassis, same thing on Zx2". Sony already made this statements

The Gold on the 1Z casing is a mean to show how Serious Sony is about "build quality". Gold protects the Copper from being tarnished and or oxidization.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #7,482 of 9,173

Lol, no way
biggrin.gif
I need to rob a bank for it. I am perfectly happy with modified Z7
smily_headphones1.gif

​No, I think is more the circuitry

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #7,483 of 9,173
I believe gold is not only impressive, but since it does not oxidize it is applied to ensure improved connectivity. I've seen some blemishes on regular connectors, but not on the gold stuff. Probably acts to reduce potential noise issues as the gear ages. Nice touch Sony, though not everybody wants to pay the price for "gold".
Enjoy your listening as I take my EX 1000's out for an afternoon sail!

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #7,484 of 9,173
Ok, back to the Z7. This phone is the first that I find so comfortable and rugged that I can lay in bed, watching movie, fell asleep with and still has room to wiggles. I take it on airplane, fly with me....etc...traveling.

For build like this, and the quality of sound ? And then the price ? It is un-beatable in my book yet. Not to mention the mods to bring it further. I doubt there is anything out there ATM can do all this and does not cost an arm and leg

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #7,485 of 9,173
Ok, back to the Z7. This phone is the first that I find so comfortable and rugged that I can lay in bed, watching movie, fell asleep with and still has room to wiggles. I take it on airplane, fly with me....etc...traveling.

For build like this, and the quality of sound ? And then the price ? It is un-beatable in my book yet. Not to mention the mods to bring it further. I doubt there is anything out there ATM can do all this and does not cost an arm and leg

I agree, I use mine laying on the sofa where I have my CD Player and amp on a stand !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back