Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 6, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #7,411 of 9,173
  I was just reading on the Z1R thread how the Z7 couldn't hold up to the HD800, HD800S, LCD-3, and HE1000.  Well Duh!  All those are triple or quadruple the price of the Z7 (or more depending how you shop).  Seems a bit of an unfair expectation.  I was going to respond, but I feared the dreaded "They're Sony, if they wanted they could crush all those at the Z7 price"...

Yes sad to see this, really like the Z7 in sound pretty much neutral and huge soundstage yes BIGGER THAN the XBA-A3 for classical music lover who has got every thing from ear-percng highs to mid centered headphones Ughhh and the other extremet bassy ones (also ughhhh), i think the Z7 budget-wise will be my end-game set, for $700 (originl pricing) they have exceeded my expectations. Just cannot afford the new Flagship.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #7,413 of 9,173
  I was just reading on the Z1R thread how the Z7 couldn't hold up to the HD800, HD800S, LCD-3, and HE1000.  Well Duh!  All those are triple or quadruple the price of the Z7 (or more depending how you shop).  Seems a bit of an unfair expectation.  I was going to respond, but I feared the dreaded "They're Sony, if they wanted they could crush all those at the Z7 price"...

And all those are open-back. Most audiophiles prefer open-back anyway, so how are the Z7s able to compete? Ridiculous.
The Z7s sound excellent straight out of a smartphone, I don't see this happening with the HD800s or LCD-3s. With the Z7 you get an all-round pleasing yet higly resolving sound without the need for careful system matching and tweaking.
But I think this is what most head-fiers desire in this hobby: the need to tweak, to upgrade, to never ever settle with something they like, because then they are stuck with music only...and the hobby ends :)

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #7,415 of 9,173
Finally, the first person to really see Z7 as what it is. It is not opened back, and it still perform wonderful

I think Z7 are semi-open or perhps 1/4-open? but yes you can heard noise from outise (if the oise is suficiently loud)

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #7,417 of 9,173
So, I finally received my Z7!!! Please continue reading for a super-short review:

They're awesome!
Sure they're huge but they're also very comfortable.

I haven't listened to them a lot since I got them just yesterday afternoon, but the short time I spent listening to some tunes (mostly metal, rock, and some older stuff like David Bowie and Earth, Wind and Fire, I don't go for "audiophile" music) and they sound awesome. Also, they are the best cans/IEMs I've ever owned.

I hope to get some more time with them today after work to better listen to them. I don't do much comparisons between my equipment because it's exhausting and don't trust my "listening" memory very much. Besides, I believe most of my equipment has their own "strength" compared to the others. Just for the curious, I also own an HD598SE, Momentum On-ear, XBA-4, Fiio EX1 and some other irrelevant gear.

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #7,418 of 9,173
  So, I finally received my Z7!!! Please continue reading for a super-short review:

They're awesome!
Sure they're huge but they're also very comfortable.

I haven't listened to them a lot since I got them just yesterday afternoon, but the short time I spent listening to some tunes (mostly metal, rock, and some older stuff like David Bowie and Earth, Wind and Fire, I don't go for "audiophile" music) and they sound awesome. Also, they are the best cans/IEMs I've ever owned.

I hope to get some more time with them today after work to better listen to them. I don't do much comparisons between my equipment because it's exhausting and don't trust my "listening" memory very much. Besides, I believe most of my equipment has their own "strength" compared to the others. Just for the curious, I also own an HD598SE, Momentum On-ear, XBA-4, Fiio EX1 and some other irrelevant gear.

Hey fella keep me updated! i wanna know if my store impressions are correct, tody i get my XBA-Z5

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #7,419 of 9,173
I'm sure you'll find your new Z7's to be great on their own. Congratulations on getting them.
Don't worry about distinguishing between music and "audiophile" music, since so much "regular" music was very well recorded that it is really the "audiophile" music. Well, maybe not the old Van Halen stuff. -that was fast and furious production.
The hi-res music you can buy may be more in the realm of theory more than practice for most of us. David Bowie music is plenty good, as is most classic rock music.
Your Z7's will let you hear a lot of the background sounds in the recordings, which I think is pretty hi-res!
Enjoy those cans, man!

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #7,421 of 9,173
WHOA XBA-Z5 sound sooo BIG AND EXPANSIVE for an IEM and just a few hrs burn in time WOOOOW Toccate, adagio and Fugue in Do majeur BWV 564 OMG thi cathedral feeling for real and is not Hi-res, a humle 16/44 flac

and the seemgly dry BWV 541 got his Airy and revrbly feeling tho is a small chruch in germany i think, these recordings are from the hanssler classics Complete BACH edition

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #7,422 of 9,173
Hi, i'm new to this forum. i would like to ask if there's any earpiece that sound quite similar to z7 bass? (currently using w50, bass a bit too thick and thinking to change to a hybrid cable)

my current setup now is uda-1 > z7. i'm thinking of changing my z7 stock cable to a copper, will it make the bass more darker or heavier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back