Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Aug 21, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #7,306 of 9,173
been awhile since my last post, having the Z7 for 1.5 years now and he already serve me very well, the only thing that i change is the cable.
reading the back page there was several easy mod that caught my attention, one of them is about modding pad, i might try this in the future.
oh btw is there any info about replacement pad for the headband? mine already got sign of cracking, well the earpad also got small cracking but as far as i know it's easier to find the earpad than the headband.

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #7,307 of 9,173
Well I finally took the plunge, to be more exact: I already have it for over a week, I have bought a new TEAC UD-301 DAC/amp to pair with my headphones. And yes, as expected initially I didn't hear differences with my old set up (iMac > Musical Fidelity V-DAC II > Marantz PM 7200 headphones output), but after manically comparing and hearing nothing I just settled with the new set-up for a week and I can definitely tell the difference now: the bass is stronger and tighter, soundstage has opened up, not bigger but imaging is improved and well everything sounds so engaging right now. I have coupled my TEAC DAC to my Marantz integrated amp as well and the sound I get is the same sound I got out of my Marantz paired with my Musical Fidelity V-DAC, so apparantly the DAC section of the TEAC doesn't seem to do anything better, the amp really does though.
Still, for some albums the familiar sound out of my old Marantz (which is a bit more relaxed) seems preferable, and it is nice to still have this option at hand, but I think in the end I will just settle with the TEAC

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #7,308 of 9,173

Quick impressions: 

I haven't made it to classical or jazz yet, so the comparison continues... we'll see how they do against my HD-700s with favorite classical tracks. This comparison I may make with the SS amp for the Z7 and the Woo with the HD-700 (the latter combination is a killer setup for classical).

The Z7s are fantastic jazz cans, IMO.

I've been listening to Sarah Vaughn's "Desert Island Discs" (2000 remastered, HD Tracks) and Betty Carter's "Finest Hour" (2003, CD). Great presentation of vocals and the standup bass seems to have just the right presence and positioning.

Then moved on to Miles Davis "Sketches of Spain" (1997 remastered, SACD) has a nice spaciousness to the sound with fantastic headphone imaging - almost speaker-like. The backing horn section on the opening track is vivid - sharp, loud and completely smooth.

I keep coming back to imaging - I wonder if the larger drivers and closed cups are responsible for this, but these 'phones really replicate a speaker experience - especially with more intimate recordings, like most of the jazz I own.

I've been listening a lot to the HD-650s, because they work so well with my Woo + vinyl rig. When I first started listening to the Z7s I found my ears "pulling back", if you know what I mean, as if I am hearing something behind me; I am so used to the 650's three-blob soundstage.

I need to do more classical critical listening... my initial samples weren't pleasing, to be honest, and I don't think these cans are going to displace the HD-700 + Woo experience for classical, which demands a more open and expansive soundstage.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #7,310 of 9,173
Well I finally took the plunge, to be more exact: I already have it for over a week, I have bought a new TEAC UD-301 DAC/amp to pair with my headphones. And yes, as expected initially I didn't hear differences with my old set up (iMac > Musical Fidelity V-DAC II > Marantz PM 7200 headphones output), but after manically comparing and hearing nothing I just settled with the new set-up for a week and I can definitely tell the difference now: the bass is stronger and tighter, soundstage has opened up, not bigger but imaging is improved and well everything sounds so engaging right now. I have coupled my TEAC DAC to my Marantz integrated amp as well and the sound I get is the same sound I got out of my Marantz paired with my Musical Fidelity V-DAC, so apparantly the DAC section of the TEAC doesn't seem to do anything better, the amp really does though.
Still, for some albums the familiar sound out of my old Marantz (which is a bit more relaxed) seems preferable, and it is nice to still have this option at hand, but I think in the end I will just settle with the TEAC

Congrats, I have the same DAC as well, and the built in amp is very good IMO.

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #7,311 of 9,173
Funny, at first I thought: "Did I post two pictures of my TEAC and Z7s?"
Great to see I am not alone in my appreciation for this beautiful amp/DAC!

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #7,314 of 9,173
You have to provide links or it aint real... :wink:

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #7,315 of 9,173
i think @dweaver is right but damn the excitement always owns me
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #7,319 of 9,173
Looks sweet :). But that open design while probably nicer from a more spacious sound perspective will also mean less isolating. It will be interesting to see how it sounds though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back