Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Aug 8, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #7,278 of 9,173
I can take all kinds of sound characters. I love the Z7s, but yes I do confirm their bass is significantly thicker than neutral, but I can adjust to that. My BeoPlay H6s are the opposite of the Sony's, brighter and leaner in bass, but I can adjust to that as well.
Even if I think the H6s are superior with classical music, I enjoy the Z7s (booming bass) almost as much with classical.
This may sound silly, but I think in practice headphones with a bigger than neutral bass have more all-round, genre independent capabilities than a neutral voiced pair.

I would agree it's a bit "thick" but not boomy per se, now a V-moda Crossfade LP, talking about drowning in bass.
I also agree that the Z7 is far more versatile than say my AKG Q701 which has very little low bass capability, [yet many would describe it "neutral" ] and easily distort complex and heavy bass lines like with most metal, or progressive metal music,but it is great with Jazz and upright bass or double bass lines. The Z7 will easily handle any of those without issues.

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #7,282 of 9,173
I'd have to put Pixies Doolittle as one of the best records to listen to on my modded Z7s, though Surfer Rosa is a close second in terms of Pixies albums. Doolittle has a low noise floor, some quite parts juxtaposed with savage grunge, crazy lyrics only Black could come up with. It's crisp, easy on the distortion, and a lot of bang all at the same time and I love it on the Z7s. I also love the early recording of Ceremony 1981 by New Order, on the 2005 Singles album.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #7,283 of 9,173
I know the are very different headphones, but has anyone compared the Sennheiser HD598SE to the Sony MDR-Z7?

The Z7 are currently available where I live for an accessible (not cheap) price and the HD598 are the only headphones I own known to be high quality and very nicely regarded here on Head-fi

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #7,284 of 9,173
Yeah I have both of these headphones. The Senn 598s are pretty good headphones, they were my first Senns and why I ended up getting an HD700 later, which I adore. They're comfortable headphones with perhaps more detail than the Z7 if you'r not driving the Z7's from a PHA3 in balanced mode or off a tube amp. However they don't have the kind of bass impact that the Z7s can have. The Z7's are much darker. The Drivers on the Z7 are 30mm larger so they can scale up to much more impressive volumes without distortion. 

However, I like the 598s, a fantastic bang for buck. You're talking about 150 dollar cans vs 450 dollar cans tho (street prices)

Given a choice I'd always choose my Z7's over the 598s. Now that I have the 700s, I really should sell the 598s.

I did like the 598 sound signature tho. They sound quite different to the Z7

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #7,285 of 9,173
I just picked up a pair of mint condition Z7 from a local head-fi'er yesterday. It has been a while since I've made an audio purchase but after hearing them with the PHA-3 at the audio show, I needed to purchase one.

Needless to say, I am beyond delighted with the headphones. Absolutely breathtaking with my PHA-3. The PHA-3 people say is warm, however, this makes the Z7 sound even smoother and more refined on every level. The PHA-3 plays on the Z7's strengths rather than trying to alter the sound.

Next step is the Kimber Balanced upgrade.

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #7,286 of 9,173
  Yeah I have both of these headphones. The Senn 598s are pretty good headphones, they were my first Senns and why I ended up getting an HD700 later, which I adore. They're comfortable headphones with perhaps more detail than the Z7 if you'r not driving the Z7's from a PHA3 in balanced mode or off a tube amp. However they don't have the kind of bass impact that the Z7s can have. The Z7's are much darker. The Drivers on the Z7 are 30mm larger so they can scale up to much more impressive volumes without distortion. 

However, I like the 598s, a fantastic bang for buck. You're talking about 150 dollar cans vs 450 dollar cans tho (street prices)

Given a choice I'd always choose my Z7's over the 598s. Now that I have the 700s, I really should sell the 598s.

I did like the 598 sound signature tho. They sound quite different to the Z7

The HD700 and Z7 is the perfect combo. Match made in heaven if you ask me. Polarizing sound that can complement every situation. I have reached my end with headphones with my HD800 and Z7.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #7,287 of 9,173

The HD700 and Z7 is the perfect combo. Match made in heaven if you ask me. Polarizing sound that can complement every situation. I have reached my end with headphones with my HD800 and Z7.

Ordered my Z7 today, so I am eager to prove out that statement 
L3000.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #7,288 of 9,173
  I just picked up a pair of mint condition Z7 from a local head-fi'er yesterday. It has been a while since I've made an audio purchase but after hearing them with the PHA-3 at the audio show, I needed to purchase one.

Needless to say, I am beyond delighted with the headphones. Absolutely breathtaking with my PHA-3. The PHA-3 people say is warm, however, this makes the Z7 sound even smoother and more refined on every level. The PHA-3 plays on the Z7's strengths rather than trying to alter the sound.

Next step is the Kimber Balanced upgrade.

The balanced Kimbers for the Z7 are amazing. The bass is tightened up and overall, there is a dramatic improvement when used with the PHA-3. Go for it! 

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #7,290 of 9,173

Ordered my Z7 today, so I am eager to prove out that statement 
L3000.gif

I'll be curious about your Z7 impressions on your Woo.  I've wondered if they play well with tubes.  I don't know why, but I've thought the Z7 is a "solid state" kinda headphone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back