Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 19, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #2,088 of 9,173

For the plugs that go into the cups: Tip = positive; Ring = negative. Sleeve = not connected (or possibly only to the shield on one end).

Hi Currawong - Are they push in connectors (to the cups) or some type of "push in then twist lock?"

For some reason those grills on the connectors look like they are meant to twist

Thanks in advance

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #2,089 of 9,173
Oct 19, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #2,090 of 9,173
What is awful about them?

To me, they look a bit uncontrolled. Dips and bumps where I wouldn't want them to be. :wink:

That along with pretty high distortion into the bass. I expected the bass to be much cleaner due to them being a flagship sealed can. I'm a measurements guy and those graphs dont look good, I will await Tylls measurements as a reference point though.

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #2,091 of 9,173
I'm definitely liking the impedence/phase graph. People should not have a problem with their gear no matter what it is

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #2,092 of 9,173

That's the weirdest FR graph I've seen in .... ever?
Going by that alone I'm probably not going to like these... curious to see how the more prolific and familiar measuring folk plot this one.

You may are looking for uncompensated one. Look one below.

Thing to know: Seeko's measurement, Goldenears's, purrin's and Tyll's compensated measurements are different regarding how raw frequency is being compensated. They are all made differently.

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #2,093 of 9,173
  No, not at all, Balanced amps use phase cancelleation to reduce the amount of distortion, as each of the signals runs polar to it self on the Positive an negative signals. Thus when the orignal signal is split anything added by the amp is removed once the signals are combined again, hence is why it's a balanced signal. So balanced amps are usually cleaner sounding than SE, this is nof ofc a standard, as a poorly built balanced amp can still be noisy, but when done right a balanced rig should b and will be cleaner or have less overall distortion. The other thing to keep in mind is will you notice the differance? Some of the TOTL SE amps already have very low distortion an therefor running a fully balanced circuit may not yeild any real improvements

I was talking specifically about the CEntrance HiFi-M8.  Though you might be correct about most or all home rigs, it doesn't fully apply to the portable powerhouses.  Most have way more power in balanced, due to circuit tricks that send full power to each ear (honestly its mostly above my head).  This also applies to Sony's PHA-3.  Michael Goodman specifically said his device is only impedance balanced, and that there is not the normal power drop going back to single ended listening...

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #2,094 of 9,173

You may are looking for uncompensated one. Look one below.

Thing to know: Seeko's measurement, Goldenears's, purrin's and Tyll's compensated measurements are different regarding how raw frequency is being compensated. They are all made differently.

No, I was actually talking about the compensated one. 
I also know they all have different ways of measuring and compensating, hence my comment about waiting for more measurements from the "more prolific and familiar"... I should have been more clear as I was vaguely referring to Tyll, Goldenears etc.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #2,096 of 9,173
caught up with this thread....huffpuff

all/most of my cans sound diff on diff gears...

someone will get a EUREKA on this Z7 out of a certain setup...lets wait.
popcorn.gif

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #2,097 of 9,173

Dry, yes, airy, less so. More bass, less treble, though you could plug the ports to reduce it somewhat.

I'm agreeing with this simple description so far, and I'm moving up the food chain to this (well lateral considering the TH600s and RS1e), whereas Currawong is moving "down" to these.  That has to be worth something.

I'm really getting curious about what the Kimber Kables would bring to the table, because I might be craving just a bit more treble.  I'm still convinced the best of what the Z7 has to offer must come from a Kimber Kable fed PHA-3.  Maybe only Sony engineers would agree with me on that, but heck its nice to be agreed with by someone......

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #2,098 of 9,173

I wasn't trying to start an argument or imply that jude is being paid to advertise for certain equipment. I mean he is positive about everything, sooooo... that is either alotta dollas or just a personal positive outlook on everything.

Its called being an optimist.  He likes to point out the upsides of gear more then downsides.  If you know that, I see zero harm.  If you hear whats important to you mentioned by Jude, then maybe it should be on your radar.  Not "drop what you're doing and grab your wallet"....

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #2,099 of 9,173
  Hi Currawong - Are they push in connectors (to the cups) or some type of "push in then twist lock?"

For some reason those grills on the connectors look like they are meant to twist

Thanks in advance

They are standard 3.5mm plugs, but the cable has loose sleeve which is threaded so they can be screwed onto the cups.

What is awful about them?

To me, they look a bit uncontrolled. Dips and bumps where I wouldn't want them to be.
wink.gif

That along with pretty high distortion into the bass. I expected the bass to be much cleaner due to them being a flagship sealed can. I'm a measurements guy and those graphs dont look good, I will await Tylls measurements as a reference point though.

I think the scale of that graph makes it look worse than it would if it were on Tyll's usual scale I think. Most dynamics that measure fairly flat right down to 20 Hz end up having rising distortion though, so I don't think it is that big a deal. However, the mid-bass is very fast and tight. Totally opposite of most closed non-planar dynamics that have a strong bass showing.

I just plugged them into the HPA-01 too, which brings out the deep bass more due to the impedance bump at around 30 Hz. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2,100 of 9,173
Sony , reveals a full system from tip to tale , not only that but a true hybrid a real Ripppa ! At the price Of only a flagship. With the obvious message use me all , able to play there own formatt, high res, and it sounds that way, to somebody who has herd so much gear it would make your head spin, and we are not at cause for celibratation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back