Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 19, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #2,116 of 9,173
This is where I haven't heard them feel the need to chime in. He doesn't even know what wet, dry or even rolled off is and he's saying it's better than the th900. Does he maybe mean the mids are more forward. The th900 doesn't have a crazy dip in the mids. So what is it that makes them better if I could ask

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #2,118 of 9,173
Ditto. Therein is the only "weakness" thus far. Cable is too long for portable use. And yes, I think these could be used portably.

mwahaha, I talk it Orgeonian has also mastered the walk ;3

For God's sake get off of it you guys lmao. The roller coaster didn't start with me I was just the first one to express my concern and try to get more answers for me and the other people curious about these.

Well if you remember, I commented about the HypeOcoaster a few weeks back, and Jude didn't feel there was a lot of hype for it atm [I think he's caught onto how much hype there is/was]

Any who, still hoping to hear these soon. Nice to see the measurements up. Yea the Mid Dip ain't to grand but the Pad Roller Squad will get there hands on them soon, and we might start to see some better pad options arrise 

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2,119 of 9,173
Finish looks so nice, and I'm sure it's very comfortable as well.  Sadly, the bass distortion looks horrible.  Purrin's measurements correlate with the Seeko measurements very well.

The distortion graphs are completely different, both in results and how they are displayed.

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #2,120 of 9,173
I will never understand why people actively try to undermine people, its a damn hobby that we're supposed to be enjoying. Quit ruining it for everyone.

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #2,121 of 9,173
The distortion graphs are completely different, both in results and how they are displayed.

The frequency graphs are very similar, that's what I was trying to get at.  Both distortion graphs show huge nastiness in the bass as well.

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #2,122 of 9,173
Uh yeah how about actually looking through Seeko's archives. THD values (<40hz or so) seem atleast double for any headphone compared to other legit measies. Obviously there's some funky coupling going on and/or extremely loud volumes.. funny how people come to conclusions fast just seeing a random graph. POAR BEISS WHOA!!

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #2,123 of 9,173
I will never understand why people actively try to undermine people, its a damn hobby that we're supposed to be enjoying. Quit ruining it for everyone.

I think some people get lost in trying to find the perfect sound, the end game headphone. This is something I personally believe cannot exist and think owning a few key sound signatures will work out better.

To be completely honest, the fact that we can reproduce sound in a 1:1 like fashion to anything in real life still boggles my mind in its impressiveness. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #2,124 of 9,173
Dry and mellow is Sony's current house sound methinks.

Not really my cup of tea. But I doubt I can resist the Sevens in the long run.

Perhaps some modding to get them sharp and juicy. Gotta be careful with those 70mm drivers though. They can hit quite unforgiving with the wrong mods (lesson learned from MA900 and XB1000). I want to keep those fine hairs in my cochleas for a couple of more years.

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,127 of 9,173
I'm baffled that Sony makes such a big deal about the Z7 reaching 100kHz (well outside our hearing range, I know) when the Seeko graphs show them taking a huge dive after 10kHz. I thought that was just the way Seeko graphs look, but the graphs for the Sennheiser HD600 (hardly a bright set of cans) shows a much smaller drop: http://www.seeko.co.kr/zboard4/zboard.php?id=m_phones&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=74

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,128 of 9,173
It does appear so. Z7 has a lot of sonic similarities to the 1R (although 1R seems to fall apart at higher volumes). Mellow is a good word to describe.

Good to know. I haven't heard the 1R, but both the Z1000 and 10RC fits that description. Sony seem to have a concept going.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony has retired their famous Golden Ear and replaced him/her with a panel of average consumers.

Edit: Should clarify, I'm not trying to bash Sony in any way. They've went through a lot of hardship and now they need to be competitive in the marketplace. And I think that what's good for Sony in these dire times will be good for the headphone evolution in the long term.

So good on you, Sony, but I'm still anticipating a Real Flagship from you, beyond your latest Top-of-the-Line Models.

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #2,129 of 9,173
i liked Z7 SE out from UDA-1 more than balanced out from PHA-3

gs1000.gif

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,130 of 9,173

I knew it!

I think I posted somewhere in this thread (or the MA900 thread) that the Z7 will measure similar to MDR MA900 but with extended sub bass and a slight notch up in the highs.

Notice the slight 1kHz dip?  That's also characteristic built-in into MDR MA900.

I think people who love MA900's sound and want that MA900 signature sound when they go outdoors will LOVE MDR Z7!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back