Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 18, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #1,936 of 9,173
Oct 18, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #1,937 of 9,173
  have a chance to demo this today at Australia av show, used with ak100/e12 combo, the sound is "unbelievable terrible". I had very high expectation and was very close to buy one from pricejapan but fortunately i did not.
Mid is thin, treble lacking detail, too much bass without control and very shallow extension. Overall feel like listening to Akg k701 with sound stage cut-off and Beats style bass boost, needless to say way too overpriced imo

I already said this....kinda.

Using a Cowon and an e12 was very bad compared to the display setup which included the pha-3 and kimber cables. It was enough to walk away from the purchase. But I'm a basshead.
The bass is tight. Leans more toward a planar in accuracy and by that i mean accelerated decay which assures the driver can deliver the next piece of musical data on time  . Does an aluminium coating make a difference? Yes...clearly. Impressive feat
 If I bought an audiophile can it would be the T1 (just my personal taste of what Hi-Fi is as opposed to an HD800 which I wouldn't ever buy)
The full Sony setup playing Boston's "Foreplay" was maybe the best sonic experience I have ever had with a headphone. I wrote that in this thread.
Trying my Cowon and e12 was such a complete downgrade and that's on me. The lack of bass hangtime is on them but it's not geared toward me.

These cans need a good feed and they were not kidding when they said this is Hi-Res. If the file is HQ and played through good gear to the drivers your golden. If you play mp3 with a mid level DAC (Cowon/iphone/android) using an e12 your not gonna be pleased.

You get what you pay for. ....clearly...(pun intended)

EDIT

Question for Oregonian

1st Congrats
beerchug.gif

Using my setup with a big push at 35 and 55 Hz didn't go well. If you find the sweet spot can you please share. There are no freq response charts which I sometimes question anyway but you got big bass can collection so you can hear and share where exactly these go wild?  Serious question.

Thanks in advance

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #1,938 of 9,173

One of the Denons. The others will likely be too neutral for your tastes.

so u prefer the denons over the z7

No, I didn't say that. I'm saying FOR YOU that you would most likely prefer the Denons (or maybe TH600s, which are much the same thing as the D2000/5000) considering your taste in music.

The bass is tight. Leans more toward a planar in accuracy and by that i mean accelerated decay which assures the driver can deliver the next piece of musical data on time  . Does an aluminium coating make a difference? Yes...clearly. Impressive feat
 If I bought an audiophile can it would be the T1 (just my personal taste of what Hi-Fi is as opposed to an HD800 which I wouldn't ever buy)
The full Sony setup playing Boston's "Foreplay" was maybe the best sonic experience I have ever had with a headphone. I wrote that in this thread.
Trying my Cowon and e12 was such a complete downgrade and that's on me. The lack of bass hangtime is on them but it's not geared toward me.

These cans need a good feed and they were not kidding when they said this is Hi-Res. If the file is HQ and played through good gear to the drivers your golden. If you play mp3 with a mid level DAC (Cowon/iphone/android) using an e12 your not gonna be pleased.

This is quite a good description of them. So far, I'm finding the bass, mids and treble a bit like each were tuned separately by three different people, rather like a Mazda RX8 looks like three different people did the style for the front, sides and rear. Now my borrowed damping trick has fixed the mids I'm starting to like them quite a bit.

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #1,940 of 9,173

No, I didn't say that. I'm saying FOR YOU that you would most likely prefer the Denons (or maybe TH600s, which are much the same thing as the D2000/5000) considering your taste in music.

ok can i plz ask it in another way, which is close to the lcd2 sound but with more bass

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #1,941 of 9,173
If someone's only heard it for a couple of minutes it doesn't help people like me that spend significant amounts every time something of interest is released..

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #1,943 of 9,173
If someone's only heard it for a couple of minutes it doesn't help people like me that spend significant amounts every time something of interest is released..

I heard these 6 times and 4 were with my set up. Listening time is more than anyone on here besides owners I am pretty sure.  The shortest was 15 minutes? and that was the first listen. Folks do reviews on cans they do not even own and that drives me bonkers so I get it but that dude mentioned an e12 and I had that same experience so I added my opinion. This is not an owners impressions thread. That will be started by Oregonian maybe and hopefully it is filled with owners well thought out impressions with hardware and settings sharing for potential future owners.

This is an announcement thread of a new release.

I agree a sit down....or 6  with a can does not make one a expert<<<whatever that is as it is alwys opinion though longer periods lend to more detailed and mature evaluations.

These are 70mm drivers and I'm a basshead. Using an e12 with an average DAP doesn't appear to work well on the bass front.

Just my 2 cents.

Honestly I'm just interested at the bass's strong point as 6 listens is not enough. Oregonian might be able to point a sweet spot out and help me so I'm trying to learn.

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #1,944 of 9,173
The Z7 has been compared to planars, old Denons, high end Sennheisers HD700 etc etc... which I'm fine with...
but I'm feeling that not everyone interested in the Z7 have heard any of these for comparison, especially newer/younger headfiers or those typically working with smaller budgets.

I want to know how the Z7 compares to the most popular and highly regarded closed headphones such as B+W P7, NAD HP50, Senn Momentum, Beyer DT770 etc.

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #1,945 of 9,173

I already said this....kinda.

Using a Cowon and an e12 was very bad compared to the display setup which included the pha-3 and kimber cables. It was enough to walk away from the purchase. But I'm a basshead.

EDIT

Question for Oregonian

1st Congrats
beerchug.gif

Using my setup with a big push at 35 and 55 Hz didn't go well. If you find the sweet spot can you please share. There are no freq response charts which I sometimes question anyway but you got big bass can collection so you can hear and share where exactly these go wild?  Serious question.

Thanks in advance

thanks for your note,

however using the same set up with other cans yielded very reasonable results, at least i need to feel some potentiality, for example i always hated and regret buying hd800 but i always agreed that it best almost any cans in technicality and scalability.

ak100 is not the best but not the worst source, competitive in $600 dap bracket, adding a bit more for e12, the combo has the same value as the phones, and i used all flac 16/24 bit files for testing.
if i need to squeeze out another couple of hundred dollars for the cable and extra thousand for pha3 over $800 rrp, i dont see the point of getting this phones since there are many that could easily outperform this.
If it was in $500 bracket then somehow i could understand, but we are talking about the new $800 flagship headphones.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #1,946 of 9,173
  Hey guys, "new" user here so I'm not sure if deal discussion is allowed within a headphone discussion thread.

Anyhow, I figured for those who are deciding whether to get these or not...perhaps a lower price might be entice you (fellow Canadians)
While Sony is selling at $699, this also applies for other stores like B&H and Amazon. NCIX also had it at $799........however, I was browsing at that site again and now it's selling the Z7 for $529.99 CAD. After tax price comes to about $600. 

I hope the link works, and I hope I'm not upsetting anyone either. 

http://www.ncix.com/detail/sony-mdrz7-ultimate-hi-res-headphones-d9-102838-1707.htm

Thanks for the link, that's a fantastic price for us Canadians!

Just for reference, they also have the PHA-3 on for $749 CAD and the XBA-Z5 on for $490 CAD. I'm really tempted to get both the Z7 and Z5 to try, the PHA-3 is tempting as well but it's MRSP is such that I didn't pay much attention to it so I need to read up on it.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #1,947 of 9,173
Unboxing video, with close-ups of the drivers, pads and the rest. If you're not viewing this on Youtube and don't see the annotations from 8:39, there are a few mistakes: The cups are metal, not plastic. I was fooled by the coating. I only worked out how to get the pads off after I made the video and I forgot to take out the cables and show the nifty screw-in plugs.

elnero: Agreed about the PHA-3. Tempting that it was, I need another DAC/amp like I need a hole in the head, as good as it may be. I think it was a sensible idea to offer a complete package though for audiophiles and (potential) enthusiasts. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,948 of 9,173
Thanks for the link, that's a fantastic price for us Canadians!

Just for reference, they also have the PHA-3 on for $749 CAD and the XBA-Z5 on for $490 CAD. I'm really tempted to get both the Z7 and Z5 to try, the PHA-3 is tempting as well but it's MRSP is such that I didn't pay much attention to it so I need to read up on it.

+2

Solid deal! I have the 7520's and am trying to justify this purchase. But by the sounds of the last few pages of posts I need to also upgrade my gear. Which is something I got away with not doing when I bought the 7520's.

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #1,949 of 9,173
.... Pairings. Which means I will need to try it out with my desktop stuff if I'm to get a good idea on what they will provide to me.

Good thing my current amp is small tiny(GeekOut 450), but I will probably need my laptop too... Oy

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #1,950 of 9,173
Thick and dark
frown.gif
doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I class the HD650 as thick and dark as I would like to go, how to they compare ?

I'm actually hoping for this a bit.  I wouldn't mind the Z7 sharing enough of that trait, that it would allow me to let my HD650s go on too someone else....

I'll start listening to mine shortly.  I just wanted a last listen to my loaner RS1e, before they have to go back to TTVJ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back