Oct 11, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #1,562 of 9,173
They have just turned up on the SONY Australia site
smily_headphones1.gif

Not as bad as I thought.
http://www.sony.com.au/product/mdr-z7
$800au

Not bad. My prediction was ~1000 AUD.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #1,563 of 9,173
Shipping charges were not bad. Altogether with the PayPal fee they asked to payback it was $576

That`s pretty much exactly what I`ll be paying here in Japan, fresh out of the oven....

Well done.  

Does anyone know if the import fees are covered by PriceJapan or their shipper? I seem to get hit for them randomly when ordering from Asia, depending on the vendor.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,564 of 9,173
  Just got back from RMAF the Sony Z7 is a no show and the several Sony people I talked to have no idea when it will become available in US.  I was able the hear the Sony MDR-1A but that is all SONY offered at the RMAF. I had  a good time checking out other headphones including obravo the HE560, HD700 and others. I canceled my Amazon order on the Z7.

That's disappointing.  I have a feeling either Amazon was given incomplete information, thus started accepting orders.  Or Sony under predicted demand.  Either way, very disappointing....

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,566 of 9,173
  Oppo PM-3 closed planar magnetic?  

My Z7 vs Shure 1540 competition just got more complicated

You can probably ignore the Oppo, if the PM-1 and PM-2 are any indication

Which they probably are as I don't see how Oppo could have engineered a new driver already

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #1,567 of 9,173
I just had this press release emailed to me:

http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-expands-hi-resolution-audio-line-with-three-new-headphones-portable-headphone-dacamplifier-and-headphone-cables/

And the MDR-Z7 parts:

MDR-Z7 Hi-Res Headphones

The MDR-Z7 headphones meld ultra-responsive audio performance, a solid, thoughtfully designed aluminum structure and lush, ergonomic, enfolding comfort for an unparalleled listening experience. The relatively large 70 mm HD drivers deliver a sound wave similar to that of a loudspeaker, ultimately distributing a highly natural sound from super-low bass response to ultra-sonic frequencies, and providing the listener with an immense feeling of space to ‘feel the air’ as if they were listening to music in a live venue. Lightweight and responsive Aluminum-coated Liquid Crystal Polymer diaphragms also provide uniform sound production across all frequencies without coloration.
Additionally, the Z7 features a 4-wire structure that uses separated ground cables to minimize crosstalk between left/right channels and supports balanced audio connectors while silver-coated OFC cable strands reduce signal transmission loss. The MDR-Z7 also includes a balanced output cable (2m) for improved signal separation with the option of plugging into a compatible, audio amplifier, such as the new Sony PHA-3.

Made in Japan, the MDR-Z7 exudes quality and precision workmanship. The pressure-relieving, ergonomic urethane ear pads were designed using the latest 3D sewing in order to keep the square shape of the internal cushion from crushing or hardening. There’s also an Inward Axis structure that utilizes a slanted swivel axis design to bring the pads closer to your ears, for improved stability, better bass response and long-term comfort.

Pricing and Availability

MDR-Z7 Hi-Res Stereo Headphones will be available in October for a suggested retail price of $699.99 at Sony stores and other authorized dealers nationwide.

Technical Specifications

MDR-Z7

Type: Closed Dynamic
Driver Unit: φ70 mm, Dome type (CCAW Voice coil)
Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW
Frequency Response: 4 Hz ~ 100,000 Hz
Impedance: 70 Ω (at 1 kHz)
Power Handling Capacity: 2,000 mW
Plug: Gold-plated stereo miniplug (headphone cable), Gold-plated miniplug x2(balanced-connection headphone cable)
Mass (exclude cable): Approximately 335 g
Supplied Accessories: Headphone cable(3m), balanced-connection headphone cable(2m), Gold-plated plug adaptor

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,568 of 9,173

On the PM-3 thread, Oppo's rep already said they are using a different driver for the PM-3. Now whether the SQ tuning would be the different is another story. In fact, it is too early to assume unless you have other source of info.

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #1,570 of 9,173
So pretty much the "balanced cable" will be useless except with a PHA-3?

Well, I've gotta hear the Z7 first. If it sounds as good as it is, then I won't mind getting the PHA-3...

Now to wait until next week and see if PriceJapan can somehow honor the good good deal that they're currently setting the Z7 at.

Oh, and I'm seeing that the price is steadily climbing on PriceJapan. It's at $558 now without shipping.

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #1,573 of 9,173
  The "bad boys" are 2.5mm plugs for balanced as I see it. Not sure if Sony is using 3.5mm instead.

Yes, and I assumed the Z7 cable used the same twin 2.5s.   But now I realize I must be wrong, because all 3 outputs on the PHA-3 are the same size.  So unless it has a single 2.5 balanced jack and twin mono-2.5 jacks, they all must be 3.5....  Strange, because they are 2.5 at the headphone end.  Can`t find any specs on the cable or amp about connector sizes.    

Bummer.  I like that RAL dac/amp.

d

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #1,574 of 9,173
Yeah, bummer.

I guess I can spend those extra minutes to whip up a dual 3.5mm mono to single 4-pin XLR adapter so that I can plug the Z7 into my desktop amp. That wouldn't be a big deal.

The big deal now is the sound. I'm expecting great things from Sony.

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #1,575 of 9,173
I don't want to have the PHA 3, but it's so sexy

And bummer, the headphone connection are not simple jacks, they look like screw-in jack that is custom tailored to the Z7.
I thought that the cheap REAN connector I have would do...

The kimber cable looks fancy by I would rather do it myself.

One week left...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back