Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,426 of 9,173
So despite whatever ban you have. What does it sound like to you. Are they asking too much or is it a good sound for the money.

Honestly holding back impressions is a sin around here. You can get banned for not sharing impressions. J/p.

Okay, it sounded fantastic.  First, it isolated incredibly well, with an instant perfect seal (I wear glasses).  The SONY concept store is quite noisy and crowded, but I had to double check that it wasn`t one of the active noise cancellers I had put on by mistake.  The track that was playing (I didn`t check the bit depth or format) was kinda predictable female vocal jazz audiophile stuff; not Nora or Diana Krall, but another one of the familiar voices I can`t recall right now.  It was quite a sparse arrangement, maybe vocal + trio, which is a sure bet for showing off black backgrounds and soundstage.  It sounded really good - but seriously, I only listened for about 5 minutes and even then I could sense the people waiting were getting impatient.  I will say that it seemed to present a lot larger soundstage than the 1540, which I have demo`d on many occasions, and at length.  But any other impressions I have about the sound would be too placebo`d to have merit.  Suffice it to say, I am really interested in these.  They`re approximately the same price as the 1540s here in Japan.   

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #1,427 of 9,173
So despite whatever ban you have. What does it sound like to you. Are they asking too much or is it a good sound for the money.

Honestly holding back impressions is a sin around here. You can get banned for not sharing impressions. J/p.

Okay, it sounded fantastic.  First, it isolated incredibly well, with an instant perfect seal (I wear glasses).  The SONY concept store is quite noisy and crowded, but I had to double check that it wasn`t one of the active noise cancellers I had put on by mistake.  The track that was playing (I didn`t check the bit depth or format) was kinda predictable female vocal jazz audiophile stuff; not Nora or Diana Krall, but another one of the familiar voices I can`t recall right now.  It was quite a sparse arrangement, maybe vocal + trio, which is a sure bet for showing off black backgrounds and soundstage.  It sounded really good - but seriously, I only listened for about 5 minutes and even then I could sense the people waiting were getting impatient.  I will say that it seemed to present a lot larger soundstage than the 1540, which I have demo`d on many occasions, and at length.  But any other impressions I have about the sound would be too placebo`d to have merit.  Suffice it to say, I am really interested in these.  They`re approximately the same price as the 1540s here in Japan.   

I am starting to see the confusion about these. They isolate well but leak some. Thanks for the impressions. And great job.
I wonder if the price will be closer to the shures in the US ever. I thought ai was priviledged to be in america until I joined head-fi

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #1,428 of 9,173

I think this is a good way to sum up every one's impression thus far, which... my biggest issue with the LCD 2F which I spent a week with in my home and on my rig, was just too laid back for my tastes, combine it with my HM801 and it was no me gustah at all 

Buts it's any enjoyable sound, though to be honest I never felt the LCD 2F lacks anything in terms of 3D imaging, well... the colored frequancy response made the image a little blurry at times if there was a busy passage, which has a good bit to do with the some what recessed upper mids,

that aside though it imaged nicely, but moving on... and actually with the big 70mm Drivers [and honestly the LCD 2 F was HUGE, like it's a pretty big can. I never did measure the diameter of the Driver Houseing

but a More Balanced LCD 2F sounds like a winner for a Sony Headphone, hearing that it's a touch more relaxed than the LCD 2F worries me, as I felt that was too relaxed for my tastes, still though... I dunno the cosmic energy just feels right... assuming the MDR Z7 has a simmilar sound to the LCD 2F, the addition of more treble and a touch more spacious sound... I think the universe is supporting that statement... that or I'm getting really tired and delusional

but I'm going to sleep on that idea... and see how I feel in da morning. But, if the MDR Z7 can bring that same... relaxed yet detailed sound that the LCD 2F had, I could see it being a real winner. Combine that with a better sound stage and image and again, I could see the MDR Z7 being a real winner!

I never EVER felt the LCD 2F was "warm" 

for me it was dark, in that the lower mids n bass were a touch more forward that the  upper mids and treble. For me "warm" denotes excess decay, where as dark sound, bring a your bass n mids forward, without the "extra" deay. 

so again, I'm kinda diggin the idea of the MDR Z7 being a "dark" can,
I mentioned it in my review, but I was really blown away at how much detail the LCD 2F had, despite it being SO laid back. For me it really defines the "dark" sound signiture. Very relaxed but it had tons of detail!]
So again, I can see the MDR Z7 having that darker sound sig, spacious imageing, a touch of forward ness in the low mids n Bass maybe a slight dip in your upper mids [no peaks] with a peak in your treble, maybe around 9k just enough to give it a touch of brightness, a touch of nice treble energy 

The question though is will there be a peak in the mids? around 1500 hrz or so, that peak realitive to the dip in upper minds on the LCD 2F made it sound wonky to my ears, voices sounda kinda interesting, not NEARLY as bonkers as the HE 400, but still "different" 

Eitehr way , time will tell. But I might move the "assumed" sound sig of the MDR Z7 from the "warm" camp to the "dark" camp, and try to get a listen on it when I can. As "dark" cans intrigue me, 

and one last comment on dark, Curra him self described the mids on the NFB 10ES2 as being "dark" in relation to the "warm" mids on the NFB 10 [or what ever balanced model was like $100 less than the 10ES2]

But... his statement was very accurate, my hm801 is Warm, my NFB10ES2 is Dark. Both have impressive sound stages though the darker NFB 10ES2 is much faster, 
if your not into reading my thoughts, then here's the "tldr" summary

still... I am now intrigued by the MDR Z7, with this latest comparison of it to the LCD 2F 

Y' know...

If you want a lively, neutral, and slightly brighter headphone than the LCD-2, there's the HE-560.

In fact, the HE-560 is exactly just that... a super lively neutral headphone.

I have been trying different amping requirements and see if I can somehow satisfy them, but as in light of new impressions about the Z7, I may just let my HE-560 go because a more spacious LCD-2 will have far more head time with me than anything else in existence.

I was into lively sounding cans for a while, but as I grew older, I have come to appreciate a more laid back, gentle, spacious, and detailed presentation of the sound that I'm getting. In fact, aggressive headphones like the HE-560 tend to get a bit sibilant to me now for some reason.

Even my ES10, which has always been my perfect sound signature, has started to sound too forward as of late.

October 18 in Japan.  My guess is around the same time in U.S.

Great. So next paycheck indeed.

If it truly sounds like a more spacious LCD-2, I wouldn't mind paying full price.

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #1,429 of 9,173

Y' know...

If you want a lively, neutral, and slightly brighter headphone than the LCD-2, there's the HE-560.

In fact, the HE-560 is exactly just that... a super lively neutral headphone.

I have been trying different amping requirements and see if I can somehow satisfy them, but as in light of new impressions about the Z7, I may just let my HE-560 go because a more spacious LCD-2 will have far more head time with me than anything else in existence.

I was into lively sounding cans for a while, but as I grew older, I have come to appreciate a more laid back, gentle, spacious, and detailed presentation of the sound that I'm getting. In fact, aggressive headphones like the HE-560 tend to get a bit sibilant to me now for some reason.

Even my ES10, which has always been my perfect sound signature, has started to sound too forward as of late.

Great. So next paycheck indeed.

If it truly sounds like a more spacious LCD-2, I wouldn't mind paying full price.

you know it's crazy but the HE 4 as of lately has started to sound a touch grainy, the HE 560 is a worth while upgrade,

but I still need a Closed back can, the HE 560 doesn't do my any good for portable use, I'd like something to compliment or upgrade my W1000x, I have no itention of using a closed back at home, or an open back on the go. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,430 of 9,173
I ordered the whole lot, PHA3 plus Z7 with stand and Kimber (both balanced and single).
Kaneda is a great guy, i have bought from them before and the price seems amazing compared to what is listed in the UK, so lets hope for smooth custom's clearence after 18 oct.
Cant wait now
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #1,431 of 9,173
Sorry for my ignorance. What or who is Kaneda? Is that pricejapan.com or from Japan.co.jp?

Congrats on the awesome setup!!

I ordered the whole lot, PHA3 plus Z7 with stand and Kimber (both balanced and single).
Kaneda is a great guy, i have bought from them before and the price seems amazing compared to what is listed in the UK, so lets hope for smooth custom's clearence after 18 oct.
Cant wait now:tongue_smile:

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,432 of 9,173
Kaneda is the guy who acts as your proxy at Pricejapan. Great place to do business with IME

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #1,433 of 9,173
  you know it's crazy but the HE 4 as of lately has started to sound a touch grainy, the HE 560 is a worth while upgrade,

but I still need a Closed back can, the HE 560 doesn't do my any good for portable use, I'd like something to compliment or upgrade my W1000x, I have no itention of using a closed back at home, or an open back on the go. 

I don't think the Sony Z7 would be a good alternative, either. It's too big for a portable headphone, and its impedance suggests you need a pretty decent portable rig, or DAP.

Then again, I have seen this dude use an LCD-2 Rev.2 as a portable headphone (yeah, seriously), so what do I know?

I still use my trusty ES10 for portable duty. Soundstage is not massive, but bass sure is. Sometimes I wish my HE-560 had that much bass.

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #1,437 of 9,173
Kaneda, what do you see? KANEDA! What do you see? KANEDA!

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,439 of 9,173
Only chance of hearing them is in Japan I guess?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back