Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 5, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,397 of 9,173

Both of them (Z7 and LCD 2F) having similar darkish sound, though Z7 is slight brighter. LCD 2F is still more forgiving (hard to find any other high end headphones as forgiving as 2F, in fact I found none) and at the same time 2F win in term of cleanness and speed, but I think it's because of their planar nature. Z7 is win by far in term of spacious and (for me it's FAR) more accurate to produce imaging in my head. Z7 is more a relax headphone while 2F is more impactful. Both have full bodied vocal with good bass punch.

For my songs preference like Norah Jones, Chie Ayado, etc, I will choose Z7 anytime, but I totally understand to people who prefer electronic or metal/rock songs would prefer 2F. So yeah, both of them are comparable in term of sound. (But Z7 is far far more comfortable to wear)

I still find it interesting that there are really two camps here, one that feels the MDR Z7 is on the darker side of neutral, and others who feel it falls on the side of brighter :/ 

This is most likely because its like really close to neutral and we probably can consider it neutral at this point. The Focal spirit Professional is considered neutral by a lot but if anything its on the bright side and not the dark. This is reading like its just south of neutral or more like the focal classic. If there is a rule for where neutral treble is lemme know.

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #1,398 of 9,173
I wish that Sony had put this kind of build quality in the ma-900. Dual exit removable cable with a little nicer materials and pads and it would have been a real contender. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,399 of 9,173
Were the Z7 driven by ZX1/PHA3? I feel all recent Sony DAP/Amp are all having dark sound signature. So it could be the reason the Z7 sounded dark.

Tested using some sources from zx1, pha3, direct form ipod, and even direct from my phone (Nexus 5)

Yep, I agree that sony dap have tendency to darkish sound, but not for their pha2 or pha3.

I still find it interesting that there are really two camps here, one that feels the MDR Z7 is on the darker side of neutral, and others who feel it falls on the side of brighter :/ 

I think some factors like perception, song's recording, and set up can play role here. Just to add info, music that I played to test Z7 are: Norah Jones, Celine Dion, and Fredrika Stahl.

General perception that I got in show, mostly people said Z7 is like a supercharged Sony MDR 1R, which is not bright (in my perception).

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,400 of 9,173
  I wish that Sony had put this kind of build quality in the ma-900. Dual exit removable cable with a little nicer materials and pads and it would have been a real contender. 

or pads like this I know you gotta have that on your desk somewhere?

That is one headphone though I have been scared to try because I am in doubt of its clarity. I wonder if its clearer than the x1. Also that is the only thing I wonder about this headphone is transparency. If the z7 has transparency better than most closed backs, isn't too thick sounding in the mids then I should really get it. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #1,401 of 9,173

What they should've released back in 2011 was an update to the MDR F1.

Imagine that 70mm driver in a MDR F1 chassis...

To those who can read Japanese, MA900 also has magnesium frame, aluminum headband and grill. Housing is ABS (meh... it should've been magnesium too like MDR 7520)

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,402 of 9,173
I wonder how the z7 sounds compared to the upcoming Alpha Dog Prime. Z7 certainly looke better imo.

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,404 of 9,173
  The Alpha Dog was quite nice the last time I heard it. I wonder what changes did Dan did with the Fostex driver on the Prime version.

Watch the CanJam preview video.  Jude mentions "more like the Alpha Dog prototype which was more reference"....

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #1,406 of 9,173

Watch the CanJam preview video.  Jude mentions "more like the Alpha Dog prototype which was more reference"....

I'm half expecting dan to just release his own headphone here soon, not even use the ole Fostex Driver, but start gettin into something really high end. When and if that happens I'll be super happy! Not to say that the Alpha Dog isn't a nice can, but I think an entirely new Chasis and driver wouldn't be too far fetched from him

Back to the Sony, yea the MDR 1R was kinda warm, and that is tru about recording quality, but yea I just need to hear this one honestly 

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #1,408 of 9,173

Oooo, interesting! Did you document your experimentation with photos and have you shared your results here before? I would think the DIY forum would love a thread on cup modding.

Well, I did just now. Please look at my signature for a link to the thread.

The Audio Technica ATH-ES10 has been a long-standing project of mine. I think... at this point, mine would sound closest to a portable L3000. It does have a lot of bass punch and quality for a portable headphone, and my HE-560 has been left behind quite a lot these days.

yeah that would be interesting. gotta say that the ath-l3000 teardown was forensic.

Indeed. It confirmed some of the things I tried.

Both of them (Z7 and LCD 2F) having similar darkish sound, though Z7 is slight brighter. LCD 2F is still more forgiving (hard to find any other high end headphones as forgiving as 2F, in fact I found none) and at the same time 2F win in term of cleanness and speed, but I think it's because of their planar nature. Z7 is win by far in term of spacious and (for me it's FAR) more accurate to produce imaging in my head. Z7 is more a relax headphone while 2F is more impactful. Both have full bodied vocal with good bass punch.

For my songs preference like Norah Jones, Chie Ayado, etc, I will choose Z7 anytime, but I totally understand to people who prefer electronic or metal/rock songs would prefer 2F. So yeah, both of them are comparable in term of sound. (But Z7 is far far more comfortable to wear)

Oh my... wait...

Did you just say Z7 sounds like LCD-2F, only slightly brighter and a lot more spacious? And it's more relaxed than LCD-2F?

I'm placing my pre-order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back