Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 5, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #1,381 of 9,173

But the cups are not isolated from the drivers acoustically. At low enough frequencies, the plastic enclosure becomes irrelevant and any movement of the diaphragm would start affecting everything that is connected to the housing, including the ear cups. Also notice how the leather also protrudes slightly and into the part where the ear cups are connected to the plastic housing? That's your cue for damping the mechanical connection.

It looks pretty, but I don't think that's the only thing it does.

A good test would be to take one of Audio Technica's other headphones that have a similar structure and put leather where it matters and see if there is indeed a difference. I have tried just that with the ATH-W1000, and leather does improve its bass response appreciably. I lack the ability to make an aesthetically pleasing cover for the wood ear cups, but I wouldn't doubt that doing so would have had an even more pronounced effect since covering just the insides of the ear cups already makes so much of a difference.

But anyway, yeah, I'm interested in the Z7 as well. A 70mm driver won't need any acoustic trick to reproduce great bass, and then it's up to Sony to tune the rest of the other ranges. Knowing their previous products (CD3000, R10), I think we can expect greatness, but probably not at the level of the R10.

Yea, back on page 88 I did my impressions of the Z7.  Speaking with the chief sound engineer Mr. Nageno, it was understood that the Z7's would not replace the R10s, as they were designed with completely different philosophies/targets in mind.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #1,382 of 9,173
  Speaking with the chief sound engineer Mr. Nageno, it was understood that the Z7's would not replace the R10s, as they were designed with completely different philosophies/ targets in mind.

I welcome that the engineers at Sony are attempting something unique with the MDR-Z7. Historically Sony has taken an iterative approach to product creation; it took Sony more than half a decade to refine the EX series before they released the MDR-EX1000.

Given that the Z7 represents that first of a new headphone series/ paradigm for Sony, it might be a little premature to even consider that the Z7 was could even usurp the R10's performance.

Also @thatonenoob was the XBA-Z5 IEM available for demo at the "Feel the Air" event? If so what did you think of them? Judging by the retail price I think it's safe to assume that they're a direct replacement for the EX1000s.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #1,383 of 9,173

I welcome that the engineers at Sony are attempting something unique with the MDR-Z7. Historically Sony has taken an iterative approach to product creation; it took Sony more than half a decade to refine the EX series before they released the MDR-EX1000.

Given that the Z7 represents that first of a new headphone series/ paradigm for Sony, it might be a little premature to even consider that the Z7 was could even usurp the R10's performance.

Also @thatonenoob was the XBA-Z5 IEM available for demo at the "Feel the Air" event? If so what did you think of them? Judging by the retail price I think it's safe to assume that they're a direct replacement for the EX1000s.

Well you're in luck! 
biggrin.gif

My impressions for the Z5 is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/733404/sonys-new-2014-flagship-iem-xba-z5/165

For some reason...the Z5 sounded like the Z7 sound sig in IEM form, except with harder hitting bass and slightly stronger mids.  

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,384 of 9,173
Oh, nice I must have missed that. : )

Interesting how you described the Z5 having a similar sound signature to the Z7. The Z7's diaphram material is the same ALCP used for the Z5's dynamic woofer after all. Does the rendering of the treble with the Z5 compare to the Z7? Or are they more extended/ sparkly? 

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #1,385 of 9,173
  Oh, nice I must have missed that. : )

Interesting how you described the Z5 having a similar sound signature to the Z7. The Z7's diaphram material is the same ALCP used for the Z5's dynamic woofer after all. Does the rendering of the treble with the Z5 compare to the Z7? Or are they more extended/ sparkly? 

*Tests water*

My impressions were done in a live environment, so I'm not sure how accurate they were (don't worry, I'll be getting to a full review later on!). Looking back, I actually felt that the Z5's treble was step above the Z7s.  There seemed like there was more sparkle to the Z5's treble (better clarity too).  People were complaining about the Z5's bassy nature, so I'm not quite sure what happened...(perhaps my ears are failing). I don't want to make my impressions seem like they are be-all and end-all, especially since the Z5's and Z7's were both mounted on different setups/volumes, etc.

The Z7 seems to be particularly receptive to sound sig changes on different setups. 

When I get a review unit, I will run some tracks of my own, and draw a more complete conclusion then! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #1,386 of 9,173
Originally Posted by Bill-P /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A good test would be to take one of Audio Technica's other headphones that have a similar structure and put leather where it matters and see if there is indeed a difference. I have tried just that with the ATH-W1000, and leather does improve its bass response appreciably. I lack the ability to make an aesthetically pleasing cover for the wood ear cups, but I wouldn't doubt that doing so would have had an even more pronounced effect since covering just the insides of the ear cups already makes so much of a difference.

Oooo, interesting! Did you document your experimentation with photos and have you shared your results here before? I would think the DIY forum would love a thread on cup modding.

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #1,388 of 9,173
  Yes, I have seen this thread. Thank you for the information, photos and impressions, very nice work !
 Is Sony MDR Z7 sound signature in your opinion similar to any of  Audeze LCD 2 models ?  ( I´m asking because you have experience with  different LCD 2 versions)
Is Sony MDR Z7 comparable (in terms of sound quality) to any of LCD 2 versions ?

Both of them (Z7 and LCD 2F) having similar darkish sound, though Z7 is slight brighter. LCD 2F is still more forgiving (hard to find any other high end headphones as forgiving as 2F, in fact I found none) and at the same time 2F win in term of cleanness and speed, but I think it's because of their planar nature. Z7 is win by far in term of spacious and (for me it's FAR) more accurate to produce imaging in my head. Z7 is more a relax headphone while 2F is more impactful. Both have full bodied vocal with good bass punch.

For my songs preference like Norah Jones, Chie Ayado, etc, I will choose Z7 anytime, but I totally understand to people who prefer electronic or metal/rock songs would prefer 2F. So yeah, both of them are comparable in term of sound. (But Z7 is far far more comfortable to wear)

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #1,389 of 9,173
Were the Z7 driven by ZX1/PHA3? I feel all recent Sony DAP/Amp are all having dark sound signature. So it could be the reason the Z7 sounded dark.

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #1,390 of 9,173
popcorn.gif

Been Demoing Shure 1540 and Fostex TH600 as I really need a closed quality HP.  I`ve had a huge hate-on for SONY for the past 13 years, due to several run-ins with the notorious `Sony Timer` (ie, the thing effing breaks/dies 13 months after purchase).  But perhaps it`s time to rescind my ban.  

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #1,391 of 9,173

Both of them (Z7 and LCD 2F) having similar darkish sound, though Z7 is slight brighter. LCD 2F is still more forgiving (hard to find any other high end headphones as forgiving as 2F, in fact I found none) and at the same time 2F win in term of cleanness and speed, but I think it's because of their planar nature. Z7 is win by far in term of spacious and (for me it's FAR) more accurate to produce imaging in my head. Z7 is more a relax headphone while 2F is more impactful. Both have full bodied vocal with good bass punch.

For my songs preference like Norah Jones, Chie Ayado, etc, I will choose Z7 anytime, but I totally understand to people who prefer electronic or metal/rock songs would prefer 2F. So yeah, both of them are comparable in term of sound. (But Z7 is far far more comfortable to wear)

Thanks for a reply and comparisions ! What has been said so far about MDR Z7 makes me think, it might be the right headphone for me. I´ll do an audition, when it comes to my country. Hopefully in November/December it becomes available and then I´ll post my impressions. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #1,392 of 9,173

I still find it interesting that there are really two camps here, one that feels the MDR Z7 is on the darker side of neutral, and others who feel it falls on the side of brighter :/ 

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #1,394 of 9,173
Jude briefly shows the Z7 in his CanJam preview video, which you can find on the front page now, and also under head-fi TV...around 33:30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back