Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 28, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #1,156 of 9,173

My comment was more directed at "ecosystems" than Sony.  I get name branding and I get the value of Sony's products (I am buying the headphones after all) but I consider most attempts to build 'eco-systems' suspect.  This is especially true in audio where interoperability is the norm, specs were defined long ago and there's almost zero value in re-inventing things that already exist. I usually read "ecosystem" as an attempt to tie consumers into buying multiple products from a single company instead of choosing the best pieces, regardless of manufacturer.

Sony hasn't gone down that path (yet 
wink.gif
) and I am betting that these cans will do as well with other equipment as with the PHA-3.  Mostly its sour grapes that I have to craft a balanced cable instead of using the one touted in the sales pitch.

Get both ! 
biggrin.gif

I understand exactly where you are coming from!  Perhaps the Canikon shootout has spread from the photography world to the audio one.  
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,158 of 9,173
I think Sony failed with the balance cable. It's 2 mini type connectors, non industry standard. This means it will be difficult to plug into virtually any balanced headphone amp available other than Sony's own.

Removable cable right, just throw money at a cable manufacturer

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #1,160 of 9,173
  I think Sony failed with the balance cable. It's 2 mini type connectors, non industry standard. This means it will be difficult to plug into virtually any balanced headphone amp available other than Sony's own.

I do not think that balanced connections for headphone where all that  standardized. In the past it used to be dual three pin XLR's like what pros use. Now it means 4-pin XLR. Pros do not use 4-pin XLR's as interconnects except for power connections usually. Both Audeze and HiFiMAN uses different connectors for the headphones themselves, not standardized. The one other headphone that I am considering is the HE-560 which does not come with balanced connectors standard. HiFiMAN does offer a  4-pin XLR  cable with a single ended 1/4 adapter for extra cost. The Sennheiser  flagship the HD800 does not come with a balanced connector. The new OPPO PM-1 flagship headphones also does not come with a balanced connector standard either. You just have to make one yourself with the balanced connector you wanted. You could see if someone can make a  4-pin xlr cable or an adapter for the Sony Z7 balanced connector.   

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,162 of 9,173

Perhaps Moon Audio can do something about it?

Lemo connectors that was assembled in Qualia 010 would be nice too.

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,163 of 9,173
Nomax, does the Z7 tend to have a wider soundstage or a deeper soundstage?

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #1,166 of 9,173
  A Sony rep told me today that these will be debuting in N. America at RMAF.

Also, these will probably be available to demo at most Sony Stores (at least at the ones that didn't get shuttered 
redface.gif
).

I live near San Diego and I would happily make the drive to the UTC or Fashion Valley stores to hear the Z7's for myself!

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #1,167 of 9,173

My comment was more directed at "ecosystems" than Sony.  I get name branding and I get the value of Sony's products (I am buying the headphones after all) but I consider most attempts to build 'eco-systems' suspect.  This is especially true in audio where interoperability is the norm, specs were defined long ago and there's almost zero value in re-inventing things that already exist. I usually read "ecosystem" as an attempt to tie consumers into buying multiple products from a single company instead of choosing the best pieces, regardless of manufacturer.

Sony hasn't gone down that path (yet 
wink.gif
) and I am betting that these cans will do as well with other equipment as with the PHA-3.  Mostly its sour grapes that I have to craft a balanced cable instead of using the one touted in the sales pitch.

Get both ! 
biggrin.gif

While I would generally agree, I don't fault Sony in this instance because there really isn't another alternative. As stated, balanced headphone connections are already a bit 'non-standard'. If Sony wanted to make a portable balanced system, that's even more non-standard, and other balanced portable gear also use weird connections. Since the cables can easily be replaced I don't consider this a big deal at all.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,169 of 9,173
I will be in Japan in early Nov and it looks like the MDR-Z7 will be on my shopping list. Though I have to convince my wife for the spending.

I have been waiting Sony to come out with an improved version of the XB1000 with its bass not overwhelming the mid. It looks like the MDR-Z7 will be the one.

I like the bass quality of my HE-500. But there is nothing can do bass better than a large diameter dynamic driver for live pop music. After all, large diameter dynamic drivers are what you find and "hear" and "feel" in live concerts.

My experience tells me the key to bring the most from Sony headphones/IEMs is to drive them with an amplifier/DAP with the lowest possible output impedance.  Those Sony titanium/aluminum/sapphire coated driver diaphragms are extremely sensitive and scale up with every bit of dampening factors. My Meier Audio + SA3000 give the output the best vocals out of all my headphones with good recordings/vocalists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back