Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 28, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #1,142 of 9,173
Sarcasm these days
biggrin.gif

etysmile.gif

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #1,143 of 9,173
And will it sail aloft on gossamer wings, gently nudging the falling comet that is the 009, and, using your micrometer, how wide is the cable, and could Stevie Nicks use it as a fashion accessory belt next time she's on stage?

And can anyone tell me about the isolation? Is it an open ended can or closed? And what about leakage?...Wots SQ? does it relate to the length of the cable?

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,144 of 9,173
  And will it sail aloft on gossamer wings, gently nudging the falling comet that is the 009, and, using your micrometer, how wide is the cable, and could Stevie Nicks use it as a fashion accessory belt next time she's on stage?

And can anyone tell me about the isolation? Is it an open ended can or closed? And what about leakage?...Wots SQ? does it relate to the length of the cable?

This pair of headphones would be just right for Karajan while he conducts the Berlin Philharmonic, while the cable itself would make a great addition to Billy Idol's wardrobe.  Even Bob Seger wouldn't mind listening to something other than Old Time Rock n Roll with the MDR-Z9.  
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #1,145 of 9,173
I think Sony failed with the balance cable. It's 2 mini type connectors, non industry standard. This means it will be difficult to plug into virtually any balanced headphone amp available other than Sony's own.

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #1,148 of 9,173
Sep 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,153 of 9,173

Well you could add any Walkman, and the Kimber Kables to the "ecosystem" if you wish...

+1...especially their new Walkman.  Right now the high-res audio ecosystem is composed of:

*Music download network pooled together by Sony to serve as a high-res audio file distribution system   (2L, hifi track.com, etc.)

*Walkman players.

*Naturally, high-fi headphones/earphones.

*Amplifiers, etc.

*Home Speaker systems.

Link to system here.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #1,154 of 9,173
I'll definitely get these headphones. I love Sony, I'm sure these will be amazing. I was considering TH900 but I'll buy these instead.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #1,155 of 9,173

Well you could add any Walkman, and the Kimber Kables to the "ecosystem" if you wish...

+1...especially their new Walkman.  Right now the high-res audio ecosystem is composed of:

*Music download network pooled together by Sony to serve as a high-res audio file distribution system   (2L, hifi track.com, etc.)
  *Walkman players.
  *Naturally, high-fi headphones/earphones.
  *Amplifiers, etc.
  *Home Speaker systems.

Link to system here.

My comment was more directed at "ecosystems" than Sony.  I get name branding and I get the value of Sony's products (I am buying the headphones after all) but I consider most attempts to build 'eco-systems' suspect.  This is especially true in audio where interoperability is the norm, specs were defined long ago and there's almost zero value in re-inventing things that already exist. I usually read "ecosystem" as an attempt to tie consumers into buying multiple products from a single company instead of choosing the best pieces, regardless of manufacturer.

Sony hasn't gone down that path (yet 
wink.gif
) and I am betting that these cans will do as well with other equipment as with the PHA-3.  Mostly its sour grapes that I have to craft a balanced cable instead of using the one touted in the sales pitch.

I'll definitely get these headphones. I love Sony, I'm sure these will be amazing. I was considering TH900 but I'll buy these instead.

Get both ! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back