Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #1,111 of 9,173
Chaps, can we get off the pads and isolation topic, and get some further clarity on the treble? One says it's brilliant, the other muffled. And no one but no one has a word to say about the MDR-1A. It seems only 2-3 people in the World have spent any time on the Z-7, and there not answering questions on it. It appears Jude has burn in, have the others? Can we take it for granted or not? The price is likely to sky rocket so can we stop the teasing right now?

Sep 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #1,112 of 9,173
  Chaps, can we get off the pads and isolation topic, and get some further clarity on the treble? One says it's brilliant, the other muffled. And no one but no one has a word to say about the MDR-1A. It seems only 2-3 people in the World have spent any time on the Z-7, and there not answering questions on it. It appears Jude has burn in, have the others? Can we take it for granted or not? The price is likely to sky rocket so can we stop the teasing right now?

I just caught up with this thread and initial impressions is that Z7 basically sound similar to that of MA900 (open) but with convincing sub bass this time around (because closed design).  Those who owned MA900 will rave about not just its HUGE soundstage & imaging, but also its smooth, non-elevated & fast treble.

Sep 27, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #1,113 of 9,173
@hawaiibadboy already eased my insecurities about the bass calling it a holy grail for bassheads

I want to see comparisons of headphones in its price range but not too highly above it.

The following comparisons, though they will prob never happen would be freaking awesome.

Z7 mids vs Vibro

Z7 soundstage/imaging vs or th600 or AD or dx1000

Z7 transparency vs Pandora Hope VI

Z7 highs vs any of these

Z7 detail vs AD

Z7 bass vs th600,denon dxxxx

Unfortunately, timing wont allow me to do a "TH600 vs Z7", as my Fostex phones are being shipped to Mark Lawton.  So, it'll have to be done by memory.  And it might no be fair to do a "Level 2 Lawton mod TH600 vs stock Z7"......

....or is it?

It would be great to share firstly how the z7 sounds to you, then what improvements your th600's have sonically that bridge any gaps between the the two headphones or make the modded th600 better. I found the impact of the bass in the th600 to be just okay, while its bass quantity to be good, its bass quality to be ideal, its highs a little too much, and mids to be imbalanced or dry and a little thin yet not severely recessed. As it reads now the z7 will have better balance, but it would be verrry interesting to read bass and soundstaging comparisons.

oooh ooh oohh and the most important since the rest I am kinda cool on anyway, TRANSPARENCY, like @jackson 6 is stating. Thats the most important. The th600 is decent in transparency but nothing to write home about.

Sep 27, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,114 of 9,173
The sound tunning/Signature from ALPHA DOG its more for REAL AUDIOPHILES
SONY'S Z7 is more a FUNNY HP because it has much much more bass

I prefer the Z7 for mobile use because it LOOKS GREAT,light to wear(you can Fell the Air)and Isolation is perfekt
I must say it again the PADS are realy Amazing ,you can see it here in my Second Video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zxWE9-Tm56c

NOMAX

Thx, seems MDR Z7 may satisfy even "bassheads".  Looking forward to next impressions but even now MDR Z7  looks promising as a great value. Aside from audiophile sound quality, there is fine comfort,  good isolation, high efficiency, elegant design and balanced cable included in accessories. Not bad for a 600 euros i think...

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #1,117 of 9,173
Not sure if I am still interested in these if the bass heavy and rolled treble turns out to be true...

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,120 of 9,173
Not sure if I am still interested in these if the bass heavy and rolled treble turns out to be true...

Yep. If these have much more bass than the TH900 and sound muffled in comparison then I'm out

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,122 of 9,173
You need to know the method the headphone is measured in order to evaluate the frequency graph. Here is another graph by the same web site with the same headphone(MA900) S/N

In this graph it is much easier to see a bit of bass boost that is harder to see with the first graph. This is more in line with waterfall plot.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #1,124 of 9,173
Nobody rush....the price will come down.
tongue.gif

What makes you so sure?

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,125 of 9,173
Nobody rush....the price will come down.
tongue.gif

I concur. From my experience, I observed that SA5000, SA3000, MA900 declined in street price value as Sony were beginning to discontinue them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back