Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #226 of 9,173

The earcups could be some sort of lightweight metal alloy as well.

Indeed. But for a speaker or top of the bill headphone, would you prefer metal or wood?
IMO, my top headphones are the TH-900, R10 (talks only, never owned one). L3000, W3000, D7000 and Lawton variants thereof.
All woodies.
I owned many B&W speakers (most but not anyones cup of tea) and all were woodies except then XT-8 which I didn't like.
I lust for a new R10 but fear it's not going to happen from what I see now.

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #230 of 9,173
  I wouldn't care about being metal, wood or even plastic, it just needs to be done right. 

I agree to some extent,

But when you're buying a flagship, you're buying a certain idea of a brand.

You buy a craftmanship, pretty and noble materials, and the whole idea that what you have in your hands is not just another mass produced inanimate object.

It has to make you feel special. It has to make you feel good in every possible way, it has to tickle your senses even before you actually use it.

I, for one, wouldn't buy a very expensive pair of cans if they were not made that way.

I could be weird, though.

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #231 of 9,173

I agree to some extent,

You buy a craftmanship, pretty and noble materials, and the whole idea that what you have in your hands is not just another mass produced inanimate object.

It has to make you feel special. It has to make you feel good in every possible way, it has to tickle your senses even before you actually use it.

I, for one, wouldn't buy a very expensive pair of cans if they were not made that way.

I agree with having a nicer experience with more expensive gadgets but I think that it's fine if it makes a compromise to make another area way better than the competition. I just don't need fancy unboxing and lots of accessories, just a nice headphone, one that I can wear without problems (like too much clamping pressure) and sounds good.

I haven't seen many closed top-tiers (at least ones that are worth their high price), so I'm hoping this will be at least a great one. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #232 of 9,173

I agree to some extent,

Some people buy a watch because of craftmanship and that each individual part of the watch was sung a lullaby by the watchmaker. Other people buy a watch because they need to tell the time.

I buy headphones for sound not craftmanship and I don't care what materials the headphone is made of. Whether they were churned out of a factory at hundreds of units per hour or took weeks to assemble by a single person is irrelevant to me. Though you could argue that presentation and materials will affect you psychoacoustically i.e. something that feels premium will be perceived to sound better than something that doesn't feel premium.

Besides, I'd rather have mass-produced flagship headphones that are cheaper to make and cheaper to buy. People that want to spend more to be in some kind of exclusive club make it worse for everyone else.

Sep 1, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #233 of 9,173
Yes I do care how a headphone is made. It is has to be conformable and made with durable materials that will not  break down in a year or two, like headband cracking.

Sep 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #234 of 9,173
If you don't take care of your headphone, it won't last you.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #236 of 9,173
I can feel the zennnnnnn in this...
Understated presence, from outside;
Once u get cosy with it under the leather..
U get a ....... { to be continued} :)

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #237 of 9,173
Sure, but all depends on how much you've got spend.

I own a few watches, and my collection includes a very simple Casio.

I love that watch, it's cheap, durable, the battery lasts forever and it tells the time certainly more precisely than any mechanical watch. It's quite the bargain at 20 bucks.

I don't care that much about how it's made. When I spend 2K on a watch though, I tend to care.

With that said, you could argue that, since it's not functionally better than my 20$ Casio, the 2K watch has to justify its cost by some more subjective aspects, and you'd be right.

2K watch are Veblein goods, made to satisfy their owner with something else than logic and objectivity. Is that crap ? It's up to you to decide, I won't try to argue on that.

What I don't understand though, is your very last statement.

The law that fixes price on a niche-of-a-niche market like ours, is how bad the customer wants something. Not how much it costs to produce.

Take Grado for example. Look a their high-end line, the GS/PS1000i/e/x/y/z's. Do they look like they're expensive to build ? Not to me, yet they cost a fortune. Why ? People are willing to buy them at that price.

Another example : the mighty HD800. Their drivers might cost a lot to produce (and they have to cut the R&D costs, too) but what's around does not. Yet, again, they're very expensive.

Should we boycott them ? "Come on, sennheiser, stop the ******** and bring us some good and cheap cans "! ... "But, Sir, we have the HD650 ?".

My point is : most hi-fi brands will not price their products based only on what they cost to build, but on how much their customers are willing to shell out for them.

Those customers won't change anything the lower-end products. Grado still makes SR60's and Senn still makes HD650's.

The problem in this hobby of ours are not those guys. The problem comes from the average summit-fi head-fi'ers who think 1K cans are cheap because they do 90% percent of what 2K cans do.

This state of mind caused the relentless increase in price we've seen over the last few years.

The problem also comes from the beats guys, who were convinced that 300$ were socially acceptable and screwed the whole market.

R10's and L3000's have nothing to do with it.

Some people buy a watch because of craftmanship and that each individual part of the watch was sung a lullaby by the watchmaker. Other people buy a watch because they need to tell the time.

I buy headphones for sound not craftmanship and I don't care what materials the headphone is made of. Whether they were churned out of a factory at hundreds of units per hour or took weeks to assemble by a single person is irrelevant to me. Though you could argue that presentation and materials will affect you psychoacoustically i.e. something that feels premium will be perceived to sound better than something that doesn't feel premium.

Besides, I'd rather have mass-produced flagship headphones that are cheaper to make and cheaper to buy. People that want to spend more to be in some kind of exclusive club make it worse for everyone else.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #238 of 9,173
^

Agree with everything you wrote. The sad truth is that there will be plenty of forum members who will dismiss a headphone announcement if it is less than four figures.

To "casual" consumers parting with 300 (insert currency) for headphones is expensive and a heck of a lot of money.
If you don't take care of your headphone, it won't last you.

Exactly. My Nov 2008 HD600 still looks new.

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #239 of 9,173
It looks a lot like a full size can upgrade from Sony 1R....

Housing material is same-same I think.... 1R has vent on the top, this is at bottom.

Is Sony "improve" 1R and makes a big can for home music ? In that case, I think the street price will be under 1000$...um like from 600$ to 800$ (double the price of 1R)

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #240 of 9,173
  It looks a lot like a full size can upgrade from Sony 1R

Is Sony "improve" 1R and makes a big can for home music ?

I hope so. That would be the cat's meow. The 1R has so much potential.....the fit/comfort is perfect, sound is detailed and musical...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back