Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #8,371 of 9,173
You and I have VERY different definitions of music:ksc75smile:

It does certainly kick the bass though.

My headphones should be walking through the door in about 15 minutes. I am excited to hear how they sound.

Shane D

Why don't you like the album I mentioned? I think its perfect for testing headphones.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #8,372 of 9,173
Why don't you like the album I mentioned? I think its perfect for testing headphones.

Singer/songwriter is not really a category that I enjoy, much like electronica. I understand that both can be very good for testing equipment, I just don't have any of that kind of music.

Shane D

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #8,373 of 9,173
Singer/songwriter is not really a category that I enjoy, much like electronica. I understand that both can be very good for testing equipment, I just don't have any of that kind of music.

Shane D
You might like Hotel California fro the Hell Freezes Over album. The drums in the beginning sound very nice with the Z7.
Btw, being an old white German guy, not fat though, I enjoy Mr. Mathers works a lot. He walks on water, but only when it freezes....You might want to check that out some day, to me it is pure Rock'n Roll.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #8,374 of 9,173
You might like Hotel California fro the Hell Freezes Over album. The drums in the beginning sound very nice with the Z7.
I have the song, but not from that album.

I bought the headphones! They are AMAZING. Lots of bass, but the vocals sound great!

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #8,375 of 9,173
I do not doubt your points.
However, I am an old, fat, white guy so hip hop has never really been on my radar. :grin:

Also can't stand classical or country.

Just rock my whole life and in the last few years horn jazz (Miles Davis/John Coltrane - Trombone Shorty/Kamasi Washington).

Shane.

Then that's what you should listen to when you try the Z7. Music you like.

Edit: I see you bought them. That's great.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #8,376 of 9,173
I have the song, but not from that album.

I bought the headphones! They are AMAZING. Lots of bass, but the vocals sound great!
Glad that you like them like I do.

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #8,377 of 9,173
Then that's what you should listen to when you try the Z7. Music you like.

Edit: I see you bought them. That's great.

And that's what I did.
I was just hoping that I could get some recommendations that were in my collection. I have just shy of 6,000 song's in the collection.

Shane D

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #8,378 of 9,173
Very impressed with these headphones. The seller was kind enough to drop by my place and gave me about 40 minutes to listen to (parts of) 20 songs. The bass sounds really good to me, which I expected. The overall clarity really surprised me. The vocals sound Great.
These had the the same MSRP, $899.00 Cdn., as the Audioquest NightOwl Carbons (before their price crash) and blow them right out of the water, IMO.

Nice crisp presentation with noticeable bass. For the music I listen to, it is a good amount of bass. If there is any bass at all in a song it will accentuate it.

If you are a fan of Audeze LCD's or Sennheiser HD650's, you will probably not like these. These are not transparent, accurate, neutral type phones.
They are FUN 'phones that I think share a sound style or type with Grado.

Sunday morning will be dedicated to getting to know my new besty.

Shane D

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #8,379 of 9,173
Very impressed with these headphones. The seller was kind enough to drop by my place and gave me about 40 minutes to listen to (parts of) 20 songs. The bass sounds really good to me, which I expected. The overall clarity really surprised me. The vocals sound Great.
These had the the same MSRP, $899.00 Cdn., as the Audioquest NightOwl Carbons (before their price crash) and blow them right out of the water, IMO.

Nice crisp presentation with noticeable bass. For the music I listen to, it is a good amount of bass. If there is any bass at all in a song it will accentuate it.

If you are a fan of Audeze LCD's or Sennheiser HD650's, you will probably not like these. These are not transparent, accurate, neutral type phones.
They are FUN 'phones that I think share a sound style or type with Grado.

Sunday morning will be dedicated to getting to know my new besty.

Shane D

I've said it before, the frontpage of head-fi should include a screenshot of the Dude saying, "Yeah, well that's just like your opinion, man." I spent my first few years after joining here putting money into headphones and IEM's that were entry-level audiophile favs, i.e. purportedly transparent, neutral. For some genres perhaps they are ideal, but not for my ears and the music I like. I reached the conclusion along the way that I'm decidedly mid-fi and happy with it, and the SQ descriptor I look for in headphone reviews now is "fun."

Considering the type music you're into and that you've been delving into jazz, you should get some Charles Mingus for your Z7, pronto.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #8,380 of 9,173
I've said it before, the frontpage of head-fi should include a screenshot of the Dude saying, "Yeah, well that's just like your opinion, man." I spent my first few years after joining here putting money into headphones and IEM's that were entry-level audiophile favs, i.e. purportedly transparent, neutral. For some genres perhaps they are ideal, but not for my ears and the music I like. I reached the conclusion along the way that I'm decidedly mid-fi and happy with it, and the SQ descriptor I look for in headphone reviews now is "fun."

Considering the type music you're into and that you've been delving into jazz, you should get some Charles Mingus for your Z7, pronto.
I do already have some Mr. Mingus. I started off loading up on Miles Davis. Then I found some lists of greatest jazz albums and I started hunting.
So far I have; Sonny Rollins, Oliver Nelson, Horace Silver, Herbie Hancock, Hank Mobley, Freddie Hubbard, Dave Brubeck and Art Blakey & The Messengers.
Recently I bought an album from a new lady named Nubya Garcia.

Shane D

Jun 2, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #8,381 of 9,173
I do already have some Mr. Mingus. I started off loading up on Miles Davis. Then I found some lists of greatest jazz albums and I started hunting.
So far I have; Sonny Rollins, Oliver Nelson, Horace Silver, Herbie Hancock, Hank Mobley, Freddie Hubbard, Dave Brubeck and Art Blakey & The Messengers.
Recently I bought an album from a new lady named Nubya Garcia.

Shane D

Some other stuff to sample: Getz/Gilberto (and Astrud Gilberto), Fred Katz & His Jammers, Bud Shank, Wes Montgomery, Bill Evans Trio, Thelonius Monk, Chet Baker & Paul Desmond, Hugh Masakela, (The Electrifying) Eddie Harris.

And if you like some blues once in a while and haven't heard him before, Freddie King is without equal.

Jun 2, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #8,382 of 9,173
Some other stuff to sample: Getz/Gilberto (and Astrud Gilberto), Fred Katz & His Jammers, Bud Shank, Wes Montgomery, Bill Evans Trio, Thelonius Monk, Chet Baker & Paul Desmond, Hugh Masakela, (The Electrifying) Eddie Harris.

And if you like some blues once in a while and haven't heard him before, Freddie King is without equal.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried some Chet Baker and Mr. Monk, but haven't anything that moved me yet. I WILL look into the others.

I like Blues, but I have to be in the mood. I find Blues are a Great live medium, but can sound a little boring listening at home.

Shane D

PS: I could swear that I looked into Bill Evans, but I don't have any.

Jun 2, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #8,383 of 9,173
To get back on topic... 20180602_170016_HDR.jpg

Jun 2, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #8,384 of 9,173
I am hoping that I can cull my HP collection down to these two.
And the Meze 99 Classics for the road.:smile_phones:

Shane D20180602_170139.jpg

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #8,385 of 9,173
Never listened to Grados- yet...
But best of luck with the Z7.
Going home to get them for Saturday night on the yacht club upper deck. Nobody’s here and it a super night to hang out with the view, beer, and a nice cool breeze.
Enjoy yourself tonight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back