Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
May 18, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #8,341 of 9,173
Are you actually using the zx300 w/ the Z7? You think the zx300's max balanced output of 200mW / channel is enough to do the Z7 justice in this regard? Reading in this thread and also the reviews in the Head Gear section here, a lot of people claim the Z7 needs oodles of power to sound best. (The obvious response is that all headphones do, really) The pha-3 that Sony pushed alongside the Z7 when they both launched outputs 320mW / channel. The WM1 series does 250mW / channel. But, on the other hand I read a professional online review somewhere that said the Z7 was nicely driven by the WM1A on the SE jack, and that's only 60mW / channel. I've been planning on buying the zx300 but this foggy info has actually had me considering the WM1A recently, despite the considerable price and size/footprint difference. Not just for the Z7, but other headphones in the future.

The Z7 can be driven very easily out of any portable including the ZX1. To reach its true potential, you will need a good home amplifier but the ZX300 & W1A will do fine. Beside the power rating, system synergy is much more important. For instant, an already bassy headphones such as the Z7 will not do well in a warmish bassy amplifier. For instance, I gravitate to use the ZX300 with the Z7 more than the W1Z for instance. Many have said that the ZX300 is very very close to the W1A sound quality but it is whole lot more portable.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #8,342 of 9,173
The Z7 can be driven very easily out of any portable including the ZX1. To reach its true potential, you will need a good home amplifier but the ZX300 & W1A will do fine. Beside the power rating, system synergy is much more important. For instant, an already bassy headphones such as the Z7 will not do well in a warmish bassy amplifier. For instance, I gravitate to use the ZX300 with the Z7 more than the W1Z for instance. Many have said that the ZX300 is very very close to the W1A sound quality but it is whole lot more portable.
I completely agree they are source dependent! I was ready to turn my Z7's into strictly portable cans, that I did not really care for at home, but once I got my Schiit Lyr 3, things changed for the better. I now, would never take my Z7's out and about and they have become my number 1 headphones for my desktop rig and I am so happy with them, that they are my end game cans for the foreseeable future.

All of the negatives, I have heard about the Z7's, go out the door when they are paired with the right amp.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #8,343 of 9,173
I completely agree they are source dependent! I was ready to turn my Z7's into strictly portable cans, that I did not really care for at home, but once I got my Schiit Lyr 3, things changed for the better. I now, would never take my Z7's out and about and they have become my number 1 headphones for my desktop rig and I am so happy with them, that they are my end game cans for the foreseeable future.

All of the negatives, I have heard about the Z7's, go out the door when they are paired with the right amp.
That is all totally subjective. For me your your dream amp cold be a desater, as I like it from my WM1A. But that is ok, to each his own.

May 18, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #8,344 of 9,173
That is all totally subjective. For me your your dream amp cold be a desater, as I like it from my WM1A. But that is ok, to each his own.
Yep. I was not disagreeing with you, just sharing a positive experience.

May 18, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #8,345 of 9,173
Yes, everyone is different including their taste for music as well as their sonic preference. I do know that extra power does help with the Z7 & Z1R to tighten that bass notes. Still, at 250 mW/channel for the ZX300 you will get a very good results from the Z7 but yes my desktop system can drive them better.

May 18, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #8,346 of 9,173
I also have the same combo as @pietcux also i can say the same as him, the perf. is stellar. Bass while is not overpowered iy kicks deep when needed. The deepest bass i've heard are some organ pipes and recorded in DSD64. Mids and highs are Lush and airy and have nice detail retrieval. Soundstage is great too, for me, probably the biggest i've heard in a headphone

May 18, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #8,347 of 9,173
I also have the same combo as @pietcux also i can say the same as him, the perf. is stellar. Bass while is not overpowered iy kicks deep when needed. The deepest bass i've heard are some organ pipes and recorded in DSD64. Mids and highs are Lush and airy and have nice detail retrieval. Soundstage is great too, for me, probably the biggest i've heard in a headphone

The ZX300 and 1A are said to be most similar with the 1A being very slightly better. I think the design goal for the ZX300 design team was to shrink the 1A into smaller footprint and retain most if not all of the 1A's sound quality. I have the 1Z but always take the ZX300 due to the size factor. The ZX300 can also function as a DAC and take streaming from your phones. Hence my ZX300 recommendation over 1A. It is ashamed that Sony didn't implement a DAC feature on the 1Z & 1A.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #8,348 of 9,173
Does anyone know were I can find the replacement 1/4″ to 1/8″ Adapter that fully fits the plug?

May 30, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #8,349 of 9,173
Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #8,350 of 9,173

Thanks, I have many of those NewFantasia cables and I've grown to dislike them. Their cables are too stiff, I've grown to dislike braided cables.
I did find the original OEM plug on the former site you mentioned, I'd rather it from there. Its suprising you can't find this plug anywhere else.

May 31, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #8,351 of 9,173
These are the best headphones i've ever had and still love them:point_up_2:

15278076674661203282853.jpg

Vivaldi cello concertos, nice set of 4 CD represents the nice bass and miss and teebles character of the Z7, As well the holographic and instrument separations

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #8,352 of 9,173
A question for Z7 lover and haters:
What would be some good tracks to test out a pair with? I have lots of rock, some pop and some Jazz.
I have a guy dropping by my place tomorrow with a pair of these have never been opened. He bought them at some liquidation sale and was hoping to make a killing, but thst hasn't worked out for him. I can get a supposedly unused set of these for half price of retail.

Any ideas folks?

Shane D

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #8,353 of 9,173
duplicate.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #8,355 of 9,173
Look up an album called Fire and Ice by Samuel Jack.
Thanks for the reply, but I was thinking more about some bass stuff or any songs/albums/artists that might highlight the strengths and weaknesses of these 'phones.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back