Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 19, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #8,267 of 9,173
Office rig :)
IMG_4400.JPG

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #8,269 of 9,173
I just listened to the new Eminem album. Unbalanced from the WM1A high gain active. Was too lazy to unscrew the balanced cable from the Z1r. In the second song, there is some bass, very deep and not overly loud. The feeling was physically as the outer ear and the earlobes can feel deep frequencies. And to me it felt like my stomach also received the bass somehow. I played not too loud, it is magic, what the big drivers of the Sony flagships can do. Puts me very much into the music.

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #8,273 of 9,173
Has anyone tried these balanced from the ZX300? Does it have enough power to drive them adequately?

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #8,274 of 9,173
Has anyone tried these balanced from the ZX300? Does it have enough power to drive them adequately?
I use them with WM1A on balanced with a set of MDR-Z1R Cable 4.4mm and they drive just fine, perfect and organic ound, huge stage

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #8,275 of 9,173
I use them with WM1A on balanced with a set of MDR-Z1R Cable 4.4mm and they drive just fine, perfect and organic ound, huge stage
I think the balanced output specs of the ZX300 are lower than the WM1A, I heard the Z7 demand a fair amount of power

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #8,276 of 9,173
I think the balanced output specs of the ZX300 are lower than the WM1A, I heard the Z7 demand a fair amount of power
Obviously the ZX300has enough power, alr adzaon SE its more than enough. The ZX300 can also power more hungry stuff like the Sennheiser HD600 fine on balanced. Also the Z7 is pretty efficient you can power it even on phones to full potential.

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #8,277 of 9,173
I asked because sometimes even if the specs are adequate some headphones still may require more power before they sound good eg. XBA-Z5 require alot of power before they sound their best

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #8,278 of 9,173
I asked because sometimes even if the specs are adequate some headphones still may require more power before they sound good eg. XBA-Z5 require alot of power before they sound their best
I never understand the physics behind this? If the headphone specifications are clearly stated, what additional hidden factors would require additional power to fully drive the headphone? Sorry if I seem like I'm picking on you, not really my intent at all so apology if it comes across as harsh or mean spirited.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #8,279 of 9,173
I never understand the physics behind this? If the headphone specifications are clearly stated, what additional hidden factors would require additional power to fully drive the headphone? Sorry if I seem like I'm picking on you, not really my intent at all so apology if it comes across as harsh or mean spirited.
Some people say it does some say no. I think on some headphones it clearly happens (HD600 on a phone) and on some others it doesnt.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #8,280 of 9,173
Like I said, sometimes on paper the specs would appear to be appropriate, but when you read a thread on some headphones people say they require a device with more power for it to sound it's best. Also with full size headphones is it not unreasonable to think that a portable device may not be ideal?
I don't mean to sound stupid - I have a very basic understanding of the specs and what goes on under the hood. When you follow threads and the general feedback from longtime owners of high status members are saying even with X device (with adequate specs) they still sound dark or the bass is a bit muddy, Y device (higher specs) is required to 'make them shine' etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back