Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 8, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #8,281 of 9,173
I never understand the physics behind this? If the headphone specifications are clearly stated, what additional hidden factors would require additional power to fully drive the headphone? Sorry if I seem like I'm picking on you, not really my intent at all so apology if it comes across as harsh or mean spirited.

Hello

I can explain the real parts, audiophiles can explain the rest

reason 1: Amps are rated at a power level with distortion. Most good quality amps (WELL DESIGNEDamps) that have big power sections, have low THD @ the rated power, and signal to noise ratio

here you go - Texas Instruments and their guidelines
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa068/sloa068.pdf

reason 2: impedance: just because a rated amp power is given at some impedance level, does not mean that it will always see that impedance - depending on music played, and the headphones - the impedance will change, and so will the power needed by the headphones. in turn this will impact how frequencies are produced. This is directly related to power and THD

so with power hungry headphones, you are able to get better dynamics with a powerful well built amp, because of lower THD/ noise.

this is some basic amplifier / speaker science (real science) - but I am sure people will give you some super duper unbelievable reasons for why it happens. Hoever someone with testing equipment should be able to measure the driver movement, and harmonic distortion / clipping using a low power poorly designed amp vs a well built high power amplifier

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #8,282 of 9,173
Hello

I can explain the real parts, audiophiles can explain the rest

reason 1: Amps are rated at a power level with distortion. Most good quality amps (WELL DESIGNEDamps) that have big power sections, have low THD @ the rated power, and signal to noise ratio

here you go - Texas Instruments and their guidelines
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa068/sloa068.pdf

reason 2: impedance: just because a rated amp power is given at some impedance level, does not mean that it will always see that impedance - depending on music played, and the headphones - the impedance will change, and so will the power needed by the headphones. in turn this will impact how frequencies are produced. This is directly related to power and THD

so with power hungry headphones, you are able to get better dynamics with a powerful well built amp, because of lower THD/ noise.

this is some basic amplifier / speaker science (real science) - but I am sure people will give you some super duper unbelievable reasons for why it happens. Hoever someone with testing equipment should be able to measure the driver movement, and harmonic distortion / clipping using a low power poorly designed amp vs a well built high power amplifier
Well, to avoid getting a sound science debate going on which may detract from the enjoyment of the thread, I shall say thank you for your input and say no more.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #8,283 of 9,173
I don't mean to sound stupid ....

I never thought or meant to suggest that you sounded stupid, believe me mate. You are well within your right to voice your opinion and that doesn't make you stupid. I'm not a stupid man and there are many common scientific principles that I interact with on a daily basis embedded in devices and I couldn't explain them.

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #8,284 of 9,173
I never thought or meant to suggest that you sounded stupid, believe me mate. You are well within your right to voice your opinion and that doesn't make you stupid. I'm not a stupid man and there are many common scientific principles that I interact with on a daily basis embedded in devices and I couldn't explain them.
All good Sonic Defender, I may have misinterpreted your post before and been a bit over-sensitive in my reply.
I had read a review on Amazon saying that the Z7 are 'power hungry' and wondered if what I had would satisfy their appetite.

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #8,285 of 9,173
All good Sonic Defender, I may have misinterpreted your post before and been a bit over-sensitive in my reply.
I had read a review on Amazon saying that the Z7 are 'power hungry' and wondered if what I had would satisfy their appetite.
Cool. I owned the Z7, but it was some time back and I used the PHA3 to power them balanced, but the PHA3 isn't a power monster and I thought the pairing was pretty amazing.

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #8,286 of 9,173
Cool. I owned the Z7, but it was some time back and I used the PHA3 to power them balanced, but the PHA3 isn't a power monster and I thought the pairing was pretty amazing.
Thank you, the PHA3 was a potential addition if I was to get the Z7

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #8,287 of 9,173
The Z7 has high sound output at low power and still sounds pretty good that way.

My speculator speculates, however, that more power makes the large diaphragm move more uniformly, thus optimal power is higher rather than lower. I would also speculate that this would be in the vicinity of 250mW or so. When I use the Z7 with the 1 watt Manley Neo 300b, it becomes almost stat like in sound. It is quite a marked improvement where the bass resonance seems to become smooth and unobtrusive, and even the high frequency wakes up a bit.

However, the Z7 still sounds quite good with low power, just perhaps not as optimal.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #8,288 of 9,173
The Z7 has high sound output at low power and still sounds pretty good that way.

My speculator speculates, however, that more power makes the large diaphragm move more uniformly, thus optimal power is higher rather than lower. I would also speculate that this would be in the vicinity of 250mW or so. When I use the Z7 with the 1 watt Manley Neo 300b, it becomes almost stat like in sound. It is quite a marked improvement where the bass resonance seems to become quite smooth and unobtrusive, and even the high frequency wakes up a bit.

However, the Z7 still sounds quite good with low power, just perhaps not as optimal.
That sums it up nicely

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #8,289 of 9,173
Well, to avoid getting a sound science debate going on which may detract from the enjoyment of the thread, I shall say thank you for your input and say no more.

no problem - anytime!

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #8,290 of 9,173
no problem - anytime!
The Z7 sounds wonderfully out of my Sony ZX1 player, even though it is EU volume capped. Out of the WM1A I use it balanced since I have the Z1R balanced cable available. I that application it sounds more controlled and refined. But not night and day.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #8,291 of 9,173
Any suggestions on a 4 foot single ended cable, preferably Sony brand but not the $200+ audiophile cable, to replace the much longer single ended cable? Hard to handle that long cable during portable use. Thanks!

Mar 6, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #8,292 of 9,173
Mar 7, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #8,293 of 9,173
You can use this one:
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/catalog/product/view/id/3902/s/audiophiles-anschlusskabel-1-40-m/ 99 €
It does not screw on the headphone side, but it sits very good on the headphone side. a bit stubborn though.
It should be available in the US too. It is a Beyer T1/2. generation accessory.

Thank you! The included cable is far too long, and though I've coiled it and secured it with velcro strips it often slips.

Here's the US page: https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/audiophile-connection-cable-1-40-m.html

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #8,294 of 9,173
These babies sing with Native DSD out of my WM1A Balanced connection (the only way to get native DSD)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back