Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 15, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #8,297 of 9,173
I am using my Jotunheim and Modi 2 Uber, with a balanced cable from Amplifier Surgery, and dubstep is freaking amazing! I actually think this setup is a match made in heaven, for electronic music. Very fast and punchy, with good extension down low, and just the right amount of warmth up top.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #8,298 of 9,173
Those are perfect for classical music, love heir smooth signature, don0t like "typical headphones for classical muisc" e.g too little to no bass

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #8,300 of 9,173
Anyone done the Peterek mod with the inputs replaced with the 3 pin mini XLR, going to do the micropore and internal wire mod and seeing as the 3.5mm females are coming out to re terminate just wondered if the XLR fit in flush or do I need to dremmel mod cups or connectors.
What is the purpose changing the 3.5 mm connectors with mini xlr ?

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #8,302 of 9,173
Already got a mini XLR balanced cable and in the process of modding the Z7's internals with the micropore and silver wire internals, other than that no reason it's just another form of connection I guess.
I had the Z7 with me at work today. Even though I have the Z1r, this one never fails to satisfy me in it's stock form. The only change that makes sense to me is to run them balanced with the Z1r balanced cable from my WM1A. Before you ruin the Z7, you'd be better off buying a fitting cable and keep the Z7 intact.

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #8,303 of 9,173
I had the Z7 with me at work today. Even though I have the Z1r, this one never fails to satisfy me in it's stock form. The only change that makes sense to me is to run them balanced with the Z1r balanced cable from my WM1A. Before you ruin the Z7, you'd be better off buying a fitting cable and keep the Z7 intact.
A cable of any sort cannot control that bass as I like it, plus it's a reversible mod anyway.

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #8,304 of 9,173
A cable of any sort cannot control that bass as I like it, plus it's a reversible mod anyway.
Why do you buy a headphone like the Z7 if you don't like it's sound? There are other alternatives enough. Like Audeze, ZMF, Hifiman or Mr Speaker.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #8,305 of 9,173
Why do you buy a headphone like the Z7 if you don't like it's sound? There are other alternatives enough.
Probably same reason you've plugged in a cable from a different set of cans into it , change it to more to your own taste. The T50RP to ZMF or Mr Speakers is a classic example of what can be achieved with a bit of modding.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #8,307 of 9,173
I note a sound quality change when using the Z1R cable vs the stock dual 3.6, there is less congestion, more detail retrieval

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #8,308 of 9,173
I note a sound quality change when using the Z1R cable vs the stock dual 3.6, there is less congestion, more detail retrieval
£400 cable in the UK and I've seen one spliced open, basic spc with a damping core nothing special, cans now modded with a £1 of micropore tape and about £10 in pure silver cable for the internals. Sounds exactly what I'd hope for, separation and a good punchy bass. Now to start on the custom balanced cables.

Mar 31, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #8,310 of 9,173
You can use this one:
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/catalog/product/view/id/3902/s/audiophiles-anschlusskabel-1-40-m/ 99 €
It does not screw on the headphone side, but it sits very good on the headphone side. a bit stubborn though.
It should be available in the US too. It is a Beyer T1/2. generation accessory.

I see on their site that they also have a 2,5mm balanced 140cm cable
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/audiophiles-anschlusskabel-symmetrisch-1-40-m.html

I'm too stupid to understand all the technicalities about what balanced cables work with what headphones, but would it be safe to buy this cable for my Z7?
Or slightly rephrased, do all cables that work with Beyerdynamic T1 (2. Gen), T5p (2. Gen) and Amiron also work with the Z7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back