Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 4, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #7,891 of 9,173
  DragonFly Red and MDR-Z7 a perfect pair! 
happy_face1.gif

Hey, did you ever audition the Sony PHA-3 ? How does the dragonfly red compare ? I'm looking for something more portable now the TA-ZH1ES is my main stationary amp, and the PHA-3 while amazing, it's barely portable. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #7,893 of 9,173

Hey, did you ever audition the Sony PHA-3 ? How does the dragonfly red compare ? I'm looking for something more portable now the TA-ZH1ES is my main stationary amp, and the PHA-3 while amazing, it's barely portable. 

Get wm1A/Z, unless u need streaming services

​Agree with @Whitigir WM1A/Z is pretty damn realistic sounding and very powerful, me driving Z7 on vol. 70 L-gain or vol. 60 H-gain

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #7,894 of 9,173
No, no, the WH1A/Z are great but they are multi-thousand dollar devices and DAPs and all the music I use is streamed. (Tidal/iTunes). The dragonfly red is 200 and the PHA-3 is only 600 in some places. So yeah, that's not the market I'm looking at. Just bought a Sony TA-ZH1ES, so I don't know how much money you guys make but that's completely out of my budget to drop 5 grand in a span of a few weeks 
wink.gif

I know the DF Red has some limitations, but I'm looking for something decent for an ultraportable and that seems to fit the bill with a SABRE 9016 inside. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #7,895 of 9,173
  No, no, the WH1A/Z are great but they are multi-thousand dollar devices and DAPs and all the music I use is streamed. (Tidal/iTunes). The dragonfly red is 200 and the PHA-3 is only 600 in some places. So yeah, that's not the market I'm looking at. Just bought a Sony TA-ZH1ES, so I don't know how much money you guys make but that's completely out of my budget to drop 5 grand in a span of a few weeks 
wink.gif

I know the DF Red has some limitations, but I'm looking for something decent for an ultraportable and that seems to fit the bill with a SABRE 9016 inside. 

I use the Herus Plus as the DAC/AMP out of my iPhone and it pairs nicely with the Z7. The Herus is powerful and has great separation - too much for my IEM's, but works wonders with the Z7. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #7,896 of 9,173
Maybe Try PHA 2A? especially if your transport is an iPhone and doesnt care about Line In/ Out. You also get the new 4.4 mm Balanced output.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #7,899 of 9,173
For anyone who might be interested...I am going to be posting soon my MDR-Z7 + PHA-3 + Pure Silver Balanced Cable (Made by Mr. Whitigr himself) for sell. Looking to get 1K for the bundle or as close as possible. Looking to try something new these days. Everything is great condition and comes with accessories and original packaging. All comes from a clean non-smoking home...I'll try and get pictures and an official post up soon, but figured I'd throw this out there in case someone knew what they were looking for already. Thanks guys!

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #7,902 of 9,173
What would you say is a fair price for an original MDR-Z7 balanced cable (it's new)? I need a balanced cable, and currently have one available for $85 but think it's a tad high. Are there other options at that price that would be much better?

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #7,903 of 9,173
  What would you say is a fair price for an original MDR-Z7 balanced cable (it's new)? I need a balanced cable, and currently have one available for $85 but think it's a tad high. Are there other options at that price that would be much better?

which type of anced standard? TRRS 3.5/2.5mm or dual 3.5mm balanced?

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #7,904 of 9,173
Dual 3.5 at the moment is compatible with AFAIK the pono, PHA-3, TA-ZH1ES and not much else. XLR4 is a slightly more widely adopted standard. Sony's new 4.4mm TRRS standard is supported by the newest high end Sony gear and is compelling as a form factor but not widely adopted, although it makes more sense than anything else physically IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back