Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 11, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #7,876 of 9,173
  What's the sound signature like compared to the TH-X00's variations? I keep reading that z7 is a bit dark. I'm sure the sub-bass is amazing though. Is the default cable really that bad?

I agree with what others have said that the th-x00 are brighter, by quite a lot compared to the Z7. I have the the Z7,  hd-650, the Nighthawks and then the x00's. In about that order is what I hear in brightness. The Z7, Nighthawks and hd-650 are all what I consider non-bright. The Nighthawks and the Z7 have great bass, I my opinion their bass is as good as the x00 without the extra treble. As always this is how I hear them and others my hear different and not agree.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #7,877 of 9,173
review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-z7/reviews/18014

balanced perhaps will come later

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #7,878 of 9,173
Just got mine, initial impressions are great.  A lot of bass, almost planar level. I hope that settles down just a bit after burn in.  The mids are very nice, and not piercing treble.  They are close but I can tell that will settle in nicely.
The soundstage is huge on these.  I thought the Nighthawks had a huge soundstage.
I tried the 3D sound on my Black Label, does that make it sound really huge, I was surprised.
I tried some Classical, played the Carmen Fantaisie and that was quite amazing.  These are way better than my EL-8s were.  Also the weight is nice, no more heavy weight on my head. I think that I am close to my temporary limit on headphone acquisition.  Until maybe some T1s. lol

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #7,879 of 9,173
After about 3 days of running them non-stop, they are sounding good.  I'm loving these, the mids still seem a bit recessed but seem to be better than when I first got them. I only have my iDSD so can't see what they are like with tubes.  Any recommendations on tube amps?  Something lower priced but gives good sound.  I know they have to be out there, but seems to be so many, not sure what is good.

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #7,880 of 9,173
I've wished to buy these HP since they were released, I hold this brand in a lifetime high esteem, but for one reason or other I've never made up my mind.
Nevertheless I always look for the best quality possible in a price range. So if anyone has had the chance to compare the TH610/THX00 or the SRH1540 with the Z7, it would be very helpful to me.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #7,881 of 9,173
  After about 3 days of running them non-stop, they are sounding good.  I'm loving these, the mids still seem a bit recessed but seem to be better than when I first got them. I only have my iDSD so can't see what they are like with tubes.  Any recommendations on tube amps?  Something lower priced but gives good sound.  I know they have to be out there, but seems to be so many, not sure what is good.

Over two years ago I wanted to move up to a tube amp for my Z7. Had been using a PHA-2 and PHA-3. My choice was the Woo Audio WA6. Reasonably affordable and great for tube rolling. Still use it regularly although I have since added a WA22. Woo has a good model assortment for various abilities to pay... Very active threads with many satisfied users on the full sized amplifier section. Give the Sony Kimber Kables a try if you can. Good luck.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #7,882 of 9,173
 compare TH610/THX00 or SRH1540 with the Z7 helpful

SRH-1540 - Similar mid bass, less sub extension, slightly scooped mids, while the Z7 has a resonance boost (especially unmodded). Highs are harsh compared to clear - though smoother Sony. Sound stage is accurate but not as wide as the Sony, as few cans are. Lighter, comfy but their sound drove me away from the Shure.

EMU Teak (Tyll's fav of Fostex / Denon cans) Equal sub level, but it extends a tiny bit lower than the already great low reaching (modded) Z7. Mid bass & low mids flatter, high mids that are realistic. Highs extend a bit more but are low sibilance, nearly smooth as Z7 forgiveness. Sound stage is nice but not quite as big as the Sony. More forward, stronger center image, than the Z7. While they are fun, the EMU seems more accurate.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #7,883 of 9,173

Over two years ago I wanted to move up to a tube amp for my Z7. Had been using a PHA-2 and PHA-3. My choice was the Woo Audio WA6. Reasonably affordable and great for tube rolling. Still use it regularly although I have since added a WA22. Woo has a good model assortment for various abilities to pay... Very active threads with many satisfied users on the full sized amplifier section. Give the Sony Kimber Kables a try if you can. Good luck.

I too was looking at the WA6, but not sure it is going to be what I am looking for. I read some reviews and it seems that everyone who has one ends up spending more to upgrade to a better model. lol
The WA6 isn't inexpensive at all either.  Any thoughts on the TEAC or Audeze amps?  What about Little Dot Mk3 or 4?
I know TEAC and Audeze are FETs but wondered about them too.  Especially the Dual Mono block TEAC.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #7,884 of 9,173
So I was going to see if anyone could help me out with this. So I really love the signature of the Z7's. I love the soundstage, bass, and clarity. But for me personally, they are still just a bit to forward for me in the mids/highs. I know, I know...most on here will think I am crazy for saying that, but rest assured, know that I have a unique condition that causes that. I had a tumor removed on my vestibular nerve that runs between the brain and the ear and has made my left ear very sensitive to certain pitches. Anyhow, I am seeing if anyone might know of any headphone that might be a good fit. Thanks for all your help!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #7,886 of 9,173
  SRH-1540 - Similar mid bass, less sub extension, slightly scooped mids, while the Z7 has a resonance boost (especially unmodded). Highs are harsh compared to clear - though smoother Sony. Sound stage is accurate but not as wide as the Sony, as few cans are. Lighter, comfy but their sound drove me away from the Shure.

EMU Teak (Tyll's fav of Fostex / Denon cans) Equal sub level, but it extends a tiny bit lower than the already great low reaching (modded) Z7. Mid bass & low mids flatter, high mids that are realistic. Highs extend a bit more but are low sibilance, nearly smooth as Z7 forgiveness. Sound stage is nice but not quite as big as the Sony. More forward, stronger center image, than the Z7. While they are fun, the EMU seems more accurate.

Thank you Mark Up for your detailed comparison. BTW on the second paragraph you refer to the TH610, THX00?

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #7,887 of 9,173
 they are still a bit too forward for me in mids/highs.

I'm hyper sensitive to highs also, not as bad as you. I'll get a bit of temporary tinnitus in one ear, after using the MDR-Z7 for more than a few minutes. Pretty much any other headphones, even Senn. HD-650, gives me more of that much sooner, so these cans are the best to avoid fatigue. You may want to just consider getting a thin black felt of some kind. Cut it into circles that tuck well under the inside of the earcups below the pads without bunching them up. Do layers, if one layer isn't enough, add another. You will lose detail of course but there is really no other way, without using an EQ to cut the highs, which might work better for you than felt.
 on the second paragraph you refer to the TH610, THX00?

I refer to the EMU Teak, which are very similar to the THX00 series. They have a smoother sound than most, except Ebony THX00, which has slightly less treble, I mean slightly. I'm ultimately selling them because they don't have quite that 3D width of the Sony and they also have a bit more treble than I prefer for longer term listening. The TH610 is brighter, by far, from what I hear. The TH600 and TH900 are nightmares in the treble.

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #7,889 of 9,173
  So I was going to see if anyone could help me out with this. So I really love the signature of the Z7's. I love the soundstage, bass, and clarity. But for me personally, they are still just a bit to forward for me in the mids/highs. I know, I know...most on here will think I am crazy for saying that, but rest assured, know that I have a unique condition that causes that. I had a tumor removed on my vestibular nerve that runs between the brain and the ear and has made my left ear very sensitive to certain pitches. Anyhow, I am seeing if anyone might know of any headphone that might be a good fit. Thanks for all your help!  
smily_headphones1.gif

The HD600 and AKG 7xx have very flat, mild kinda sound. You'll lose that bass tho, but maybe that will help ? 

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #7,890 of 9,173
@Land-O-The-Tree I'd recommend Phonon SMB-02, it's designed as a monitor headphone for long hours use (the creator himself exclaim he made it because many other monitoring headphone tire him out) that has neutral sound with good detail, soundstage, and still punchy bass.
It's wildly popular headphone in the professional scape, a great headphone if you can forgive it's cheap looking build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back