Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 9, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #7,862 of 9,173
  So, I've been taking my Z7 to the office the past few days, and I've enjoyed them so much!
I'm using them straight out of my phone and the sound isn't compromised at all

Yeah, that was what I was thinking, too, until I got home and connected them to the TA-ZH1ES. It's like the MDR-Z1Rs, you can connect them to a phone but they benefit a lot from a good amp.

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #7,863 of 9,173
  So, I've been taking my Z7 to the office the past few days, and I've enjoyed them so much!
I'm using them straight out of my phone and the sound isn't compromised at all

Wondering how these will scaleup with the balanced out from the WM1A

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #7,864 of 9,173

It's a custom made OFC cable from a not-so-reliable-with-electronics engineer

Yeah, that was what I was thinking, too, until I got home and connected them to the TA-ZH1ES. It's like the MDR-Z1Rs, you can connect them to a phone but they benefit a lot from a good amp.

Yes, they benefit from an amp, but to me one of the advantages of these cans is that they sound great from almost anywhere, and better from better equipment

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #7,866 of 9,173

Exactly ! Same as Z1R
biggrin.gif

Also a WM1A and 1Z drive them Good finger Licking good

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #7,867 of 9,173
 The Z7 does not isolate very good. The Z1r is much better in that regards.

At Can Jam NYC they had both and in that noisy space the Z1R seemed to let in more outside sound. I did a direct comparison of them. The Z1R had a bigger sound stage, and more bite in the treble (that wasn't always good). The bass was similar. They were better overall but not enough to justify my paying several times the price. My modded Z7 of course beat the stock Z7 model they had there in some ways. So the mods were a good investment, other than having the more enclosed sound, with less treble zing.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #7,868 of 9,173
At Can Jam NYC they had both and in that noisy space the Z1R seemed to let in more outside sound. I did a direct comparison of them. The Z1R had a bigger sound stage, and more bite in the treble (that wasn't always good). The bass was similar. They were better overall but not enough to justify my paying several times the price. My modded Z7 of course beat the stock Z7 model they had there in some ways. So the mods were a good investment, other than having the more enclosed sound, with less treble zing.

In the noisy environment of my office the Z1r is clearly better than the Z7. The college's voices completely disappear on the Z1r and on the Z7 not. With only music playing not very loud.
And I do not have any treble problems with my unit.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #7,870 of 9,173
In the noisy environment of my office the Z1r is clearly better than the Z7. The college's voices completely disappear on the Z1r and on the Z7 not. With only music playing not very loud.
And I do not have any treble problems with my unit.

what pietcux says about the Z7s is right , even with playing music, Windows closed i can hear my neighbor's 5 chihuahua dogs barking like crazy or even my mom calling my name from 6 meters away

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #7,874 of 9,173
  What's the sound signature like compared to the TH-X00's variations? I keep reading that z7 is a bit dark. I'm sure the sub-bass is amazing though. Is the default cable really that bad?

The TH-X00 PH are brighter than the Z7.  

The default cables are fine. There are a number of 3rd party cables which you can purchase.  They typically look nicer and the Z7's sound signature might be nuanced a bit by their use.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #7,875 of 9,173
Just my experience, I've not had both at home. I say "treble bite", that's actually a good thing for some, I don't mean it was problematic. I am hyper-sensitive to treble, I found the HD-650 slightly brighter and lacking low end thickness I prefer, to give you an idea of that. Hence I'm a Z7 fan (because the treble is perfect for me, which many find dark). 

As far as Foster comparisons, the EMU Teak intrigues me. Less bass, that still extends vs. TH-X00. So they seem "brighter" to some, though graphs show they actually have less treble. Tyll found them the most liquid and laid back of Fostex / EMU / Denon tested. Many still call them brighter, but it could be they're just more balanced without extra boom.

I tend to match his frequency views, he was right about the Oppo PM3 for example lacking lows that many here felt were not lacking, and a fewe called "boomy" (for God's sake, What). I did love those headphones, in so many ways. Just a little too much treble, lacking in mid / low bass amount (though their extension was good, it was just lower in level).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back