Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #541 of 9,173
I'm not sure if this has been posted, these are available for pre-order on Amazon.com for $699.99 USD.

Sony MDRZ7 Hi-Res Stereo Headphones : http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZ7-Hi-Res-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00NBMHT7Q/?tag=hpg33k-20

Sony XBAZ5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphonehttp://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBAZ5-Ultimate-Hi-Res-Headphone/dp/B00NBMHTH6/?tag=hpg33k-20

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #543 of 9,173
  how come no one cares about the new XB950?

http://store.sony.com/extra-bass-bluetooth-headset-zid27-MDRXB950BT/B/cat-27-catid-All-Headphones-Earbuds?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

For me it's because it's bluetooth + "extra bass"

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #544 of 9,173
Sep 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #546 of 9,173
I've had great success with good quality higher end closed backs.
I've owned the T5p (awful), the TH900 (amazing) and W3000anv (extremely unique)

The TH900 had a very airy sound too it. I wouldn't say matching the HD800 paired with a good amp but hats off to Fostex because it didn't have that closed in feeling at all.
The W3000anv is in between of a closed in and open feeling (but the way it was designed wasn't really meant to have an open feeling anyway)

I don't think you should dismiss high end closed backs based off experience with lower end closed backs (if that is indeed what you're doing).
The vented designs of the TH900 gave it airiness and hopefully Sony captured the same thing with the Z7.

I agree though, avoid the hype. Don't take what people are saying as fact.

I'm really not dismissing closed - or open - designs.
Haven't listened to TH900 and, to be honest, at the asking price, I don't think I'll be grabbing one soon. The ATs are too colored to my taste.

I'm secretly crossing my fingers that Sony hits a home run with 7Z 
tongue.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #547 of 9,173
I've had great success with good quality higher end closed backs.

I've owned the T5p (awful), the TH900 (amazing) and W3000anv (extremely unique)

The TH900 had a very airy sound too it. I wouldn't say matching the HD800 paired with a good amp but hats off to Fostex because it didn't have that closed in feeling at all.

The W3000anv is in between of a closed in and open feeling (but the way it was designed wasn't really meant to have an open feeling anyway)

I don't think you should dismiss high end closed backs based off experience with lower end closed backs (if that is indeed what you're doing).

The vented designs of the TH900 gave it airiness and hopefully Sony captured the same thing with the Z7.

I agree though, avoid the hype. Don't take what people are saying as fact.

I'm really not dismissing closed - or open - designs.
Haven't listened to TH900 and, to be honest, at the asking price, I don't think I'll be grabbing one soon. The ATs are too colored to my taste.

I'm secretly crossing my fingers that Sony hits a home run with 7Z :p  .

The W3000anv is definitely colored but they weren't trying to make it neutral either

Th900 is a bit pricey but all things considered it's a very nice closed back can.

I do hope sony does well with this Z7 design and that they put work in instead of just marketing gimmicks.

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #549 of 9,173
Yeah.

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #550 of 9,173
Originally Posted by xaval /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Airy sound like HD600 from a closed pair of cans? I wish 
tongue_smile.gif

Definitely not happening in this day and age. 35 years ago, maybe, though I'd call it more expansive than airy.

But I would love it if Sony proves me wrong.

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #552 of 9,173
I think I'll pass until the hype train has passed through the station and dropped off its passengers further down the line, and I'll wait for this speaker 'technology' from Sony to reach down into their headphones...

Magnetic Fluid speaker

Enjoy more complex musicality with crisper mids and highs. This revolutionary design delivers 60% more sound and minimal distortion, so you experience every sound at its most pure and powerful.

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #553 of 9,173
saving my coins for the woodcupversion....i can smell it. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #555 of 9,173
  Definitely not happening in this day and age. 35 years ago, maybe, though I'd call it more expansive than airy.

But I would love it if Sony proves me wrong.

I would have to say its impossible for a closed headphone to sound "airy", but that doesn't determine actual sound stage size, "airyness" only affects one aspect of sound stage, which is how large the room or venue you are in sounds. Sound stage is made of two elements, how close to you the band/music is playing, and how large the room your are in is or sounds.

A closed headphone will never have a sound stage that sounds "airy" meaning that at the edges of the sound stage it has a "wall" where the sound stops, in comparison an open headphone has no walls at the edge of the sound stage and its more like the sound just trails off into the "air", They may both have the same technical sound stage size but the open headphone will give the impression of a larger room due to the edges of the sound stage ending in open airiness.  This only gives the open headphone an advantage, [size=12.8000001907349px]believe it or not but a closed headphone can beat an open headphone in sound stage size[/size]Also the "airy" presentation of open phones is not better, its just different, the closed presentation also has its own romantic intimacy which an open headphone can't replicate.

The open headphone has the inherent advantage in sound stage size when all things are equal, but things are never equal, and the 70mm drivers in for example the XB1000 give it an advantage over smaller drivers, [size=12.8000001907349px]the Sony XB1000 is actually one of the best closed head phone I've ever tested in regards to an expansive large sound stage. Those large 70mm drivers help considerably, and its obvious to me that a well tuned 70mm closed headphone like XB1000 has a much larger sound stage than a well tuned 40-50mm closed headphone as I've experienced. The XB1000 even beats out the TH900 and Beyer T5P from my testing, (in sound stage size, but not in anything else, lol) The 70mm drivers really do make quite the difference. T[/size][size=12.8000001907349px]he XB1000 does even beat quite a number of open headphones, obviously it doesn't compete with HD800, K701 type headphones with HUGE sound stages, but it has a ridiculously big sound stage for a closed phone and does beat out the HD650 for example, all that's really needed is a more refined detailed sound, and I am betting the Z7 is it, it will probably push sound stage even bigger too. [/size][size=12.8000001907349px]I can't wait for the Z7 [/size]
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back