Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 7, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #556 of 9,173
Do you guys thinl the mdr 1a is just an updated 1r (by this i mean in name only)?
At first look they seem exactly the sa!e as the 1r. If the plastic build was replaced by metal and it the sound reached closer to the senn momentums i would buy them in a heartbeat. The 1r was too colored and muffled sounding to me, lacked bass impact and had some severe creakimg issues..,.

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #557 of 9,173
Do you guys thinl the mdr 1a is just an updated 1r (by this i mean in name only)?
At first look they seem exactly the sa!e as the 1r. If the plastic build was replaced by metal and it the sound reached closer to the senn momentums i would buy them in a heartbeat. The 1r was too colored and muffled sounding to me, lacked bass impact and had some severe creakimg issues..,.

1A uses Aluminium coated Liquid Crystal Polymer (ALCP) Drivers and the 1R uses Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP) Drivers. Nobody knows how that will affect the sound but i doubt build materials will change.

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #558 of 9,173
1A uses Aluminium coated Liquid Crystal Polymer (ALCP) Drivers and the 1R uses Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP) Drivers. Nobody knows how that will affect the sound but i doubt build materials will change.

If the build is exactly the same it is a bit disapointing.... At least by looking at photos and videos the 1r and 1a look exactly the same. If they are well treated they will last but plastic is always plastic and if the creaking issues are still present it is even more disapointing.... The creaking should have already been gone on the 1r mk2...

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #559 of 9,173

From my speaker experience of using metal alloys over the drivers resulted in a much faster and punchier sound, Raidho speakers even use diamond coating over the drivers to produce the fastest sound I ever heard, it is also the punchiest.

I predict the same fate for MDR-1A and MDR-Z7.
I think MDR-1A will sound faster and tighter with better sub-bass compared to MDR-1R.
I have high hopes for new Sony headphones, maybe the future flagship (Z7 successor) will use even harder coating (titanium, diamond, etc).
Will live and will see...

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #560 of 9,173
From my speaker experience of using metal alloys over the drivers resulted in a much faster and punchier sound, Raidho speakers even use diamond coating over the drivers to produce the fastest sound I ever heard, it is also the punchiest.
Sony did that 20 or so years ago, with sapphire and diamond evaporated diaphragms... For their time, the units in question (MDR-E482 / MDR-E484 / MDR-E747 and some others such as the MDR-A22L) had very good sound quality...

Can live in hope :)

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #561 of 9,173
Cant wait.... I love the looks of the 1r.... Now i could even buy a 1r for 99 euros here in portugal but to be honest the sound is not that great. Hope the new 1a is a bit punchier, less colored and more transparent. If they have that i am in. Vocals on the 1r sound like if the singers were burried and mostly because of that i ended up not keeping a pair...

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #562 of 9,173
the 1R did have a nice warmth to it, but the mid bass was too slow and loose, and everything else did not have much crispness or definition. Over here in Singapore, it retails at SGD 399, which puts it at the exact same price as the NAD viso HP50 and PSB M4U1. needless to say i bought both
the nad and PSB.

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #563 of 9,173
If these turn out to be anything like the DR-Z7 from 1978, they're gonna be on my skull the moment they're available in the US. Really excited.

Are those cups plastic, magnesium, aluminum, or what?

Dear Lord!

I'd be devastated if the Z7 weren't better than a headphone released 36 years ago :basshead:

Blame my expectation bias :p

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #564 of 9,173
all aboard the expectation bias and hype train!

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #565 of 9,173
all aboard the expectation bias and hype train!

Ah, a man who hasn't totally lost his sanity yet.
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #566 of 9,173
As for the MDR-1R - I find them comparable to the Sennheiser Momentum over ears in SQ, the build less so as the 1-R's are a very plasticky affair,but extremely comfortable and light weight, a very nice can indeed, but I paid a lot less than the MSRP off Amazon UK - they must have had a temp deal on them as they were back up in price last time I saw them listed there.

VISO HP50's nice but need amp and squared off headband is quirky (IMO of course)

I hope the Z7 can be bass EQ'd as hard as the TH600 & TH900 as if they do - those 70mm drivers are going to turn it into a true bass cannon - FIRE! :cool:

(Bass test track played shows driver SPL impact reacting with half sheet of A4 copier paper)​

SONY MDR-XB1000 70mm Drivers In Action!

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/0Um3Oqao8PM[/VIDEO]​
Cut in half sheet of fresh out the pack A4 printer paper used

No tape used - paper placed over left earcup with right ear cup holding/sealing

Test Conditions

Source:Cowon DAP ,Flat eq, BBE+8 MACH3BASS +9 playing
Test tracks: Bass Mekanik - "Night Bass"

Amp: FiioE12 with bass boost switch on, gain: 16dB
Recommend:
Play video on full screen to check paper vibrations with fullest detail

70mm drivers on the XB1000 = so much win! let's hope the Z7's are even better :)

Video courtesy of Extreme Bass Club Thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #567 of 9,173
I could only enjou the m!dr 1r while using the rock eq on my 4th gen ipod touch. They sounded nicer and clearer that way but even still nowhere near the impact, resolution and refinment that the over ear momentums provide. With a flat eq they were just too !uddy, too colored and lacked bass impact. Although plastic, in terms of beauty the mdr 1r is maybe even more beautifull than the momentums. Its like a mdr v6 2013. The mdr 1a is now like a mdr v6 2014.... :-D

Still 99 euros is not a bad price.... Its the same price as a regular ath m50.... As a lifestyle headphone they are amazing, probably the best over ear headphone in terms of looks and conforto for home and outsidr use. The mdr 1a retail price is 199 euros right?

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #569 of 9,173
None of these here are bluetooth. u are kinda wayy off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back