Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #586 of 9,173
I'm sorry, of course I don't think Amazon is going to stiff me.  I'm just wondering if Amazon is confident it can fulfill a pre-order?  It seems odd Amazon shows a Sony product, but Sony doesn't...

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #587 of 9,173
  I heard them Friday at IFA where Sony had reserved quite some space (see first pic below). Of course it was a noisy, hectic space overall and people were waiting behind me, so I limited myself to a few minutes. I plugged my own iPhone into their new mobile amp PHA 3AC which accepts digital signal from iOS devices (besides USB and optical if I remember correctly), disengaged their upsampling (or whatever that reconstruction already mentioned here is supposed to do). Tuning reminded me a bit of the Fostex headphones, i.e. rather strong, but clear bass, bit pronounced 3-4kHz, quite good extension (i.e. not dark). Nice cable... which comes with a 200€ price tag they told me.

Handling was nice, I forgot to ask what the cups are made of. Feels light, but not cheap, with good comfort (as far as I can judge that within a few minutes).

They look great in the pics. How's them live?

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #588 of 9,173
  They look great in the pics. How's them live?

I like their looks, understated and nice. They have a good feel to them... but given my already quite extensive collection I think I'll pass on these. If they might offer some Z9 with wooden cups in the future... don't know if I could resist then :wink:

But however that may pan out I'm actually quite happy to see Sony offer this new model. They seem to take this serious, offering a complete solution (even catering to the cable freaks and lovers of balanced setups), turning away from pure plastic solutions (which the R1 is to me). Yes, this *is* a nice product and a thing worth considering.

Edit: @cb3723 I have to admit that the moment I read about the 70mm drivers I was thinking you might like them... They might be capable of kicking out some fun I guess. Still the driver seems to be more of a traditional design vs. the Fostex driver which more resembles a speaker driver (i.e. cone + seam instead of a diaphragm).

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #589 of 9,173

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #591 of 9,173
Here's a link to the full-size photo. Zoom in with your browser to see the text in greater detail.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/ce/ce54e3e3_DSC_5972.jpeg

The MDR-Z7 did not come with a carrying case. It came with two home-length cables, one of which is terminated in dual 3.5mm plugs, for use with the PHA-3's balanced output, and one terminated in single 3.5mm with a 1/4" adapter. It's a large headphone, and it doesn't fold, so I don't think Sony intended this to be toted around much.

(Thumb-typed while mobile--there may be errors.)

Thanks jude.

I'm comparing these two for possible purchase.

Only a slight diff in specs but anyone know why the z7s 70mm driver goes down to 4Hz while the 1As 40mm is listed at 3Hz?

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #593 of 9,173
  Only a slight diff in specs but anyone know why the z7s 70mm driver goes down to 4Hz while the 1As 40mm is listed at 3Hz?

Quite irrelevant I'd say... even if a 2Hz to 4Hz difference would technically be a whole octave I'd just forget those numbers: both are obviously technically able to produce frequencies well below what you're able to hear.

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #594 of 9,173

Is that the balanced cable that's included?

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #597 of 9,173
I like their looks, understated and nice. They have a good feel to them... but given my already quite extensive collection I think I'll pass on these. If they might offer some Z9 with wooden cups in the future... don't know if I could resist then :wink:

But however that may pan out I'm actually quite happy to see Sony offer this new model. They seem to take this serious, offering a complete solution (even catering to the cable freaks and lovers of balanced setups), turning away from pure plastic solutions (which the R1 is to me). Yes, this *is* a nice product and a thing worth considering.

Edit: @cb3723
 I have to admit that the moment I read about the 70mm drivers I was thinking you might like them... They might be capable of kicking out some fun I guess. Still the driver seems to be more of a traditional design vs. the Fostex driver which more resembles a speaker driver (i.e. cone + seam instead of a diaphragm).

Very cool you've checked these new cans out already - your brief impressions are the first I've read anywhere, maybe you're the first on head-fi?

Yeah, 70mm drivers...mmmmmm - they have the size to be potential weapons of mass distraction for sure and we've a Extreme Bass Club member already pre-ordered the Z7 off their UK site so we'll get an idea of hard it kicks via bass/paper test soon enough I guess :)

I'm pretty much in the same frame of mind with you on picking up new cans right now - I've too many already to start with and unless I can manage to grow another 10 heads or something, I'm not looking to pick up any more cans unless something exceptional comes along I guess.

But I am a big fan of SONY and just the promise of what 70mm drivers could offer with EQing is tempting....and fact I'm a headcan whore anyway - lol :D

Thanks for your pics and impressions - much kudos :cool:

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #599 of 9,173
I have to run to a family gathering now, but will say more about the Sony MDR-Z7 later. In the meantime, here are a few photos from a batch of photos I took of it when it arrived (along with the Sony MDR-1A). If you click through to the full-size, original versions of these photos, you can clearly read the boxes (if you're interested).

A comparison between the mdr 1r and the new mdr 1a would super duper cool dear jude.... I thank you from the bottom of my heart of you can do that... :wink:
I am also interested on the z7 of course but those are not for my pocket..... At least for now.... :)

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #600 of 9,173

Edit: @cb3723 I have to admit that the moment I read about the 70mm drivers I was thinking you might like them... They might be capable of kicking out some fun I guess. Still the driver seems to be more of a traditional design vs. the Fostex driver which more resembles a speaker driver (i.e. cone + seam instead of a diaphragm).

Knowing that you have the T5p's and the Sig DJs and Sig Pros, how do you think they performed in your bit of time? Does it at least produce a decent sound to be categorized with those mentioned? (in terms of enjoyment NOT technicalities).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back