Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #3,436 of 9,173
Has anyone tried the Z7 with iDSD micro? I am trying not to buy the expensive PHA-3 considering iDSD has quite a lot more power compared to PHA-3 even in balance. But then, i dun know if they will pair as well, any impression will be greatly appreciated. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #3,438 of 9,173
I don't have a high end amp/DAC and am very happy with the sound I get from the Z7.

My current configurations are:

LG G3 by itself
LG G3 to Cayin C5 amp
Various portable computers direct from their sound card or through the Cayin C5 or through by Audioengine D1
Desktop computer using optical out to my Little Dot DAC1 and then to either my Bravo Ocean tube amp or my RW Audio Amp1, or my Audio Engine D1 by itself or coupled with one of the above amps. All combination work to varying degree's.

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #3,439 of 9,173

I'm starting to suspect that the Z7 and the HD650 amplify very differently.  Might be pure speculation, but I'm thinking an HD650 loves tubes more, and the Z7 likes a more analog style/solid state amp.  But more science might be needed....

I was thinking the same thing. Someone posted earlier that the Z7s didn't sound so great from their receiver. Perhaps, since the Z7s are easier to drive, they don't respond as well to a lot of power (compared to the HD650s which most everyone says the more power the better).

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #3,440 of 9,173
my ocean bravo is only a small tube amp so maybe not as powerful as some but it does sound very good at the moment coupled with my AudioEngine D1.

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #3,441 of 9,173
I was thinking the same thing. Someone posted earlier that the Z7s didn't sound so great from their receiver. Perhaps, since the Z7s are easier to drive, they don't respond as well to a lot of power (compared to the HD650s which most everyone says the more power the better).

The amplifier probably had a high output impedance. That would of effected the sound. HD650 is sensitive and easy to drive.

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #3,442 of 9,173
I am interested in the Z7 and I noticed you too have the Roxanne. How do they compare?

Only collected the Z7 on Friday evening and still burning-in the cans. No time yet to compare it directly witn my Roxanne.
Infact, have not listen to my Roxanne this past few days. Lol!
Will give it a week or so before I'll start some critical listening and compare it with my other gears

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #3,443 of 9,173
Hmm...once again... Is this real ? Only time will tell. But looks Nomax was right that 2015 is going to be interesting...

Yes my post was real unfortunately they are keeping tight lipped on specifics however when I asked if a flagship was coming person nodded.

That's all I got except info on Sony re-employing some of their engineers from 1970s & 1980's which is on the net somewhere.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #3,446 of 9,173

Sony re-employing some of their engineers from 1970s & 1980's

Holy ****. These are the people who worked on the DR-Z7, Qualia, and R10...

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #3,447 of 9,173
Wow that a Heck of a good price! Someone will be very happy I think.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #3,449 of 9,173
I spoke to someone at Sony Australia- they shall remain unamed - they would not give me specifics - however a new sony flagship is coming in 2015. The designer of the legendary R10 i think may be on board if I understood correctly. Also of interest Sony have been consulting some of their older engineers who were retired to assist with their latest flagship power amp a jfet powered one.

I also listened to the MDR-Z7 and thought it sounded good out of my walkman - I was unable to test it with other equipment.
A friend of mine thought it compared favourably with the Fostex TH600. I own the TH900 which in my opinion is a more refined headphone. The Sony Z7 isolates more effectively than the TH900 has similar levels of comfort. Unable to provide too many impressions as I only listened to a few tracks. I do think the Sony Z7 is a very nice headphone. It is not a flagship killer - which I think everyone was hoping for when the hype train pulled out of headfi city. Maybe the hype train will pull out in the new year...

I think that once the selling price entered this thread, it became clear that the Z7 was not a "flagship killer".

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #3,450 of 9,173
  I had some time to spend with XBA-Z7 and to my ears they did not sounded as I hoped it to be upon further listening. Its major problem to me is lack of clarity and extension on the treble. Comparing to the TH900 it could not simply match it. While it is true that TH900 is much more expensive one can find it for 1099 USD or so and frankly for home usage I think paying the extra 200-300 dollars on TH900 is a much better investment than XBA-Z7.

Maybe Z7 is to be paired with the PHA-3 in order to sounds its best but today out of Lotoo PAW Gold it sounded not so good. 

To my ears, it has beautiful resolution and detail.  The treble is wonderfully 'soft',
and not bright.

I think tends towards the sound of English mixing desks (sound boards) like SSL,
Allen & Heath, and Neve rather than those of similar quality made in the USA
and elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back