Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 23, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #2,341 of 9,173
I'd like to know the mids sound thin compared to what? 

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #2,343 of 9,173
  I'd like to know the mids sound thin compared to what? 

He said the apparent rapid decay of the upper bass region  gives the transition to early mids a feeling of thinness ...I'm paraphrasing and maybe wrong but pretty sure that's what he said.

The whole summary would be 3 parts of the spectrum being good but somehow disjointed hence the car analogy.

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #2,345 of 9,173
The drop at 500 Hz (low mids) causes them to sound somewhat thin. Combine that with the booming mid-base and you end up with a sound where the base and mids sound distinctly separate, but somewhat at odds with each other.

I think if the bass is going to be strong, it should have impact. I actually like them better out of the Bakoon because the impedance curve results in stronger bass. The sound seems like they were trying to find a middle ground in everything.

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #2,346 of 9,173
Whatever you do, watch Currawong's video.  I listened to the Z7's all night, and I think he is absolutely correct when describing its sound.

I'd like to emphasize, though, that despite the slight discontinuities C. talks about, the headphones are enormously fun and enjoyable and could be a "main" or only can.  I am one of those folks Currawong talks about who is coming down from "better" headphones, which means the Z7's don't blow me away, but if this will be your best phone, you may fall in love. 

And yes, these have to have been designed with modding and cable-farting-around in mind!

I think I'll keep these rather than the Focal Classics, HD800, HD600, HD650, or LCD-2.  I find the HD800's treble too painful, the 600 and 650 (which I've had many times in the past) too boring, the LCD-2 kind of, uh, odd (and uncomfortable to wear), and the Focal too smooth.

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #2,347 of 9,173
I really enjoyed Curra's review vids of the Z7. Sounds like an excellent headphone for the price. Sony really knows how to properly price a headphone, and it seems like it can be a real contender after some modding. How long before MrSpeakers makes Z7 Dogs??! 
blink.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #2,348 of 9,173
  I really enjoyed Curra's review vids of the Z7. Sounds like an excellent headphone for the price. Sony really knows how to properly price a headphone, and it seems like it can be a real contender after some modding. How long before Mark Lawton makes LA MDR Z7??! 
blink.gif

Good question 

also How did I forget about Curra's accent, now everything I read from him is instantly more interesting! 

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #2,349 of 9,173
  Plugs! Cables! Sound! Mods! A unique car comparison analogy. Me ranting incessantly (because I wanted to get this done before going to Tokyo). And one lame joke as usual.

Great video.  You said you took the cup off, to see its hollow.  Could you cover how that's done?

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #2,350 of 9,173
Oct 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #2,351 of 9,173
It's in the video at the end from the 13 minute mark. Just remove the screws under the pads. The pads come off similar to how Denon/Fostex pads come off, but you have to remove a small screw at the bottom under the pads first.

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #2,353 of 9,173
The drop at 500 Hz (low mids) causes them to sound somewhat thin. Combine that with the booming mid-base and you end up with a sound where the base and mids sound distinctly separate, but somewhat at odds with each other.

I think if the bass is going to be strong, it should have impact. I actually like them better out of the Bakoon because the impedance curve results in stronger bass. The sound seems like they were trying to find a middle ground in everything.

Great job on the video, Amos.  Thank you..............you've now opened up a new world for us "tentative to screw around with a $700 headphone".  I'll be trying the Dynamat probably this weekend..............since I'm a Lawton mod fanboy, and have first hand heard the difference it made on a stock D7000, I can only think it will improve the bass.  And I don't think there's anything wrong with the bass performance to begin with. 

Thanks again.  When I do the mod I'll take photos.

Mark L has a new business opportunity................these cups in wood?  What say you, Mshenay? 

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #2,354 of 9,173
I can't really agree about the low bass distortion being irrelevant though.   Low bass distortion makes headphones like the D2000's bass sound insanely sloppy, while headphones like HD600 and 650 have more of it and are less articulate in the bass compared to the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back