Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 22, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2,327 of 9,173
  It's drier. part of it is the slight lower mid suckout of the TH900. really helps clarity aspect and prevent its monster bass from intruding into the rest of the band. but at slight cost - being on the dry side. Probably explains why I prefer the TH900 on lusher tube amps like the Stratus.

So which one do you prefer? The TH900 or the Z7?

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #2,328 of 9,173
I don't know the technicalities of cables but maybe in this case it's as simple as a higher resistance than the other one. . Basically the same problem the Fidelio x1 has

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #2,330 of 9,173
I really wish I could hear these headphones soon. This thread has absolutely blown up.

So far every thread that is introducing a new closed back flagship headphone design is getting a lot of views. I think closed back headphones are proving to be "audiophile" headphones when in the past they weren't mentioned as much as costly open back models.

EDIT: I can vouch for cute though. These fancy shmancy cables really do "open" up closed back headphones. Not sure if it's the OCC copper or silver, but I'd imagine there is better cross talk and capacitance with an unimpeded signal going through. So let the cable modders rejoice, and the naysayers naysay. I am beyond a doubt that cables make a difference, it is just how much of a difference they make is what people argue over the most.

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #2,332 of 9,173
Well when your new closed headphone sounds more open than some open headphones, it's bound to attract attention.

I know that sound.. It's like hearing music as it should sound in a room. It's the ability for headphones to convey the sense that the voices in the song are of real people and they are travelling within the confines of where it was recorded. I especially like vocals recorded in a "chamber" like setting. Hearing that vocal echo decay into blackness is something that I find hard to replicate with most open headphones (compared to some of the TOTL closed cans)

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #2,333 of 9,173
Plugs! Cables! Sound! Mods! A unique car comparison analogy. Me ranting incessantly (because I wanted to get this done before going to Tokyo). And one lame joke as usual.

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #2,334 of 9,173
  Plugs! Cables! Sound! Mods! A unique car comparison analogy. Me ranting incessantly (because I wanted to get this done before going to Tokyo). And one lame joke as usual.

Wow. They look amazing. They exude this level of elegance the Fostex TH600 failed to achieve. Amazing.

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #2,337 of 9,173
Seeing the driver size against the cup makes me truly appreciate the sheer size of the driver.

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #2,338 of 9,173
So the sound `AL-most there` ? - then it`s going to be a modder`s delight.

Great review, Currawong.

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #2,339 of 9,173
I'm sure someone will comment that the RX8 doesn't look as bad as I think it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back