Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #2,371 of 9,173
  Damn now I REALLY need a PreProduction unit! As I like aggressive, forward lol 

Oh, you.

Honestly, the new pair sounds very very good out of a dark-ish source. I'm pushing the volume knob pretty hard, and I'm rubbing off against the upper limits of the amp.

Very very good ambience with this track. The atmosphere is awesome at higher volumes!

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #2,372 of 9,173
I'm pushing the volume knob pretty hard, and I'm rubbing off against the upper limits of the amp.

Careful with your ears!

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #2,373 of 9,173
Well, I never go over 75dB or so at the loudest.

I have had my listening level measured multiple times, and also by different people in different environment to confirm that.

But the more important point to me is that at that level, I'm expecting no spike in the treble range, because anything up there would stick out like a sore thumb at such high volume.

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #2,374 of 9,173
My wallet says nay too hearing that they're already being sold for 450 when I just paid 600 and others paid 700

Mine just shipped via fromjapan.co. They refused to cancel my order and are not the easiest to deal with (wouldn't recommend anyone order from them) but I did get in on a 15% off deal. Z7s came to 487 after shipping and nickel/dime fees. Hope no issues with delivery or function.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #2,376 of 9,173
Mine just shipped via fromjapan.co. They refused to cancel my order and are not the easiest to deal with (wouldn't recommend anyone order from them) but I did get in on a 15% off deal. Z7s came to 487 after shipping and nickel/dime fees. Hope no issues with delivery or function.
Let me know if you don't like them. We might be able to work out a win-win deal :wink:

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #2,377 of 9,173
Well, I relented and placed an order to see how these compare to my CD3000's. Not expecting to keep them after the impressions posted here but I have to see for myself...

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,378 of 9,173
Can someone answer a basic knucklehead question for me? 

These come with two cables, one for a standard jack and one for balanced.  

The balanced cable has two mini plugs on it.   I always thought the 'balanced' option looked like an XLR plug?  

What am I missing here?

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,379 of 9,173

The balanced cable has two mini plugs on it.   I always thought the 'balanced' option looked like an XLR plug?  

What am I missing here?

There are different terminations into balanced. XLR probably is most popular and Sony's lest. Not knucklehead at all.

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #2,382 of 9,173
  Well, I relented and placed an order to see how these compare to my CD3000's. Not expecting to keep them after the impressions posted here but I have to see for myself...

That's exactly what I wanted! A CD3000 vs Z7 comparison... I used to love my CD3000s because of their awesome soundstage, beautiful crystalline highs, build quality, and comfort. Too bad they were a bit thin and bass-light for my tastes.

When do you expect yours to arrive? Did you order via PriceJapan or via Amazon?

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #2,383 of 9,173

That's exactly what I wanted! A CD3000 vs Z7 comparison... I used to love my CD3000s because of their awesome soundstage, beautiful crystalline highs, build quality, and comfort. Too bad they were a bit thin and bass-light for my tastes.

When do you expect yours to arrive? Did you order via PriceJapan or via Amazon?

Ordered from Amazon and they should be here tomorrow. Your recollection is spot-on and why the CD3000's retain such a high place in my collection. I don't tend to value bass as much as other attributes so they fit my taste well. It will be interesting to see how the Z7's compare!

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #2,384 of 9,173

What am I missing here?

The included balanced cable was made specifically made for Sony's new PHA-3 portable DAC/amp, which is dual 3.5mm plugs...

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,385 of 9,173
Yeah, time for an International Standard Plug for balanced. TRRS 4-pole ftw. Except for studio gear and Über-High End stuff maybe.
XKCD has some comment on that ... http://xkcd.com/927/

Bulls Eye :xf_eek: :wink:

In all seriousness, I just wanted to state my case here. I'm not really keen on forced standards.

However, I hope more and more companies will gear towards the balanced TRRS for the following reasons:

1) It's largely compatble with the normal 3-pole plug/socket. You can almost "sneak" it in without any major changes.

2) A 4-pole TRRS can easily work for non-balanced transmission (i.e. 3 poles, common ground), while the opposite isn't possible.

3) In the cases where an adapter is needed, these can be made maximally compact (think of that little cable Stumpf that comes in the box when you buy a headset).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back