Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Nov 11, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #2,581 of 5,805

How about buying the A3 cable from Sony? I believe it is not as stiff and would have the locking design in the connector.

That Sony MUC-M12SM1 cable is nice, but it's like $100. I don't want to spend that much. May go with the cheap $20 Chinese one.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I picked mine from $80  up from amazon

Did you get it from one of the Japanese 3rd party sellers? This cable is basically the stock Z5 without the stiff portion right?

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #2,582 of 5,805

How about buying the A3 cable from Sony? I believe it is not as stiff and would have the locking design in the connector.

That Sony MUC-M12SM1 cable is nice, but it's like $100. I don't want to spend that much. May go with the cheap $20 Chinese one.

I picked mine from $80  up from amazon

Did you get it from one of the Japanese 3rd party sellers? This cable is basically the stock Z5 without the stiff portion right?

Nope, see my unboxing pics

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #2,583 of 5,805

Unless you want to destroy your connectors, I would go with an original sony cable.

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2,584 of 5,805

Thats the last thing you want to do, I recommend against using 3rd party cables for the Z5/A3, can damage the connector and if your model is imported, you're SOL

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #2,585 of 5,805
I know this is a little off topic but I just can't get over how good the Z5's sound. I have never dreamed that my portable set up can sound so incredible until I've come back to Sony. Something about Sony' sound signature and ( most of the time) built quality that makes me come back

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #2,586 of 5,805
I know this is a little off topic but I just can't get over how good the Z5's sound. I have never dreamed that my portable set up can sound so incredible until I've come back to Sony. Something about Sony' sound signature and ( most of the time) built quality that makes me come back
You using a dap with the z5? How about an amp? My Z5 scaled big time with an amp.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #2,587 of 5,805

Off topic, off topic!!! Heck your post is actually on topic! This is the Z5 thread after all :)

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #2,588 of 5,805
So I've had the Sony MUC-M12SM1 upgrade cable for a few days now. I've been going back and forth with the stock cable numerous times through my playlist on my iphone6.
It's really good looking and very well built ... but I can't bring myself to like it. For me, the only thing it has improved is the smoothness. 

I think the upgrade cable has lost it's clarity and it's big sound stage. I listen to mostly things with female vocals and the stock cable has a more clear and in front presentation. I also found background instruments just not as defined into it's own space..

The stock cable has more layering where things are separated really well with a sense of space ... I feel it's lost that crispness and airiness with the upgrade. 

Also I am finding the bass more pronounced which is drowning out the mids ..making everything just not as nice for my liking. 

however I will keep using it for a while as first impressions are usually a bit off but that's how I hear it at the moment.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #2,589 of 5,805
So I've had the Sony MUC-M12SM1 upgrade cable for a few days now. I've been going back and forth with the stock cable numerous times through my playlist on my iphone6.
It's really good looking and very well built ... but I can't bring myself to like it. For me, the only thing it has improved is the smoothness. 

I think the upgrade cable has lost it's clarity and it's big sound stage. I listen to mostly things with female vocals and the stock cable has a more clear and in front presentation. I also found background instruments just not as defined into it's own space..

The stock cable has more layering where things are separated really well with a sense of space ... I feel it's lost that crispness and airiness with the upgrade. 

Also I am finding the bass more pronounced which is drowning out the mids ..making everything just not as nice for my liking. 

however I will keep using it for a while as first impressions are usually a bit off but that's how I hear it at the moment.
Get a neutral amp and the Z5 mids and treble will open up !

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #2,591 of 5,805

Cheers to another Sony fanboy!

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #2,593 of 5,805
Got the complete suites for harpsichord of Jacquet de la Guerre, love my A3 more than the MDR-1R, A3 seems to be more full-bodied

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #2,594 of 5,805
hey guys.. i am about to put up my PHA3 and Z7 for sale. Been with me for around 5 months and decided to just stick to IEM, more specifically CIEM. Gonna sell both at 900 USD including shipping internationally. If you like the sony signature, PHA3 is the best bet. Best sounding combo as far as portable goes. Might sell off my HD800 with the valhalla AMP. Finally found my end game. so PM if anyone is interested. Oh ya keeping my Z5 in case you are wondering. still love the fun sounding nature of the z5. very forgiving when especially if you are streaming your music. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #2,595 of 5,805
hey guys.. i am about to put up my PHA3 and Z7 for sale. Been with me for around 5 months and decided to just stick to IEM, more specifically CIEM. Gonna sell both at 900 USD including shipping internationally. If you like the sony signature, PHA3 is the best bet. Best sounding combo as far as portable goes. Might sell off my HD800 with the valhalla AMP. Finally found my end game. so PM if anyone is interested. Oh ya keeping my Z5 in case you are wondering. still love the fun sounding nature of the z5. very forgiving when especially if you are streaming your music. 

Great, I'm happy for you. There's a reason why HF has a classifieds section. Thanks for polluting this thread (in fairness, you're not the only one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back