Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Feb 13, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #5,191 of 5,805
Chiming in on the Z5 here: I’ve been listening to these for the last 3 hours out of an iFi Nano BL (285mW @ 32 ohms) and paired with Symbio W tips and a silver cable (Fiio LC-3.5D). Reading through this thread, I was led to believe that the Z5 were warm, dark, and lush; a bassy HD650, if you will. They are, quite unequivocally, anything but. The Z5 are far more similar to the Fostex TH-X00, which were my daily drivers for almost 2 years, but with more restrained bass. There is plenty of treble presence and extension too, and I say this having owned the Sony EX1000, Fearless S8 Freedom, and iBasso IT04.

There have been a number of comparisons made in recent pages with the BLON BL-03. Let’s be clear here as well: I’ve had the BLON’s for 2 months now, and really, really like them. I like them so much I recently ordered a second pair. The BLON have an incredibly rich and wonderful timbre and a huge soundstage. But, they are nowhere close at all the Z5 in terms of either tonality or technicalities. The BLON actually sound like an HD650 with an insane bass boost. The Z5 are far more open, leaner, and brighter, and miles ahead in clarity. It’s not even a 10, 20, or 30% difference. There is no comparison here. For context, I have the BLON paired with a silver cable too (Null Lune), and with four different sets of tips (SpinFit CP100, Spiral Dot, Symbio W, Acoustune AET07), they still required EQ in the bass region.
I might be mad... but I do believe that is what I am saying :)
I kind of agree with you that the Z5’s aren’t as dark sounding as the impressions on here lead us to believe. I was surprised by the decent amount of treble presence when I first got them. Pairing with a neutral/brighter source balances them out well too.

I still think they are slightly dark, but in a good way, in a relaxed way? Obviously this is all 100% subjective, because it’s in comparison to what? What we have as a small collection adds contrast, especially if you only listen to your own gear. But if anything I would guess the silver IEM cable would be a great add? I’ve also done some abstract cable changes like putting the IER-Z1R included cable on the N3. Putting the N3 cable on the BGVP DM6 as well as putting the IER-Z1R cable on the BGVP DM6. I could be crazy but I thought the N3 stock 4.4mm cable was trying to subdue bass. I thought the IER-Z1R cable was trying to excite the treble. The Kimber is a recommendation for the Z5, which I feel offers a smooth and detailed midrange as a basic personality. But if a silver cable is what it took for someone to dial in the Z5 above all else ever heard then that’s a success. As all of us who have the Z5 know; there is untapped potential there. If anything it can be made an enjoyable listen. Though again the strange issue is that few are going to buy a bad fitting $399 IEM that’s 6 years old, and try and put an outlandish amount of (more) expensive equipment in front. Those that do......and find it as a holy grail should be rewarded for taking such a risk. IMO

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #5,192 of 5,805
3707A249-E51B-4337-97D2-9D483740047B.jpeg

The Mee cable ends up too grainy. IMO

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #5,193 of 5,805
0A599410-1556-4B03-AC80-3B24D0EB2124.jpeg

All this talk had me bring them out again using the Kimber with Sony Hybrid Tips and the Walkman 1Z with 3.02 firmware upgrade. I will almost admit they are not sounding quite as dark as I remember. Though most of this is the very expanded out soundstage of 3.02 along with how bass curtailed 3.02 is naturally. The soundstage is absolutely amazing! This still in many ways holds up against the IER-Z1R, though in a different direction. Where the IER-Z1R can be boarder-line bright especially if your not used to it; the XBA-Z5 on the other hand.......,perfect.

The crazy part is how cohesive it ends up...especially for a triple driver hybrid?

It’s tightening up the bass as a route to success. As if by cable or source....once the bass is cleared up it’s fast, tight and firm. :)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #5,194 of 5,805
With regards to the treble, I do feel that's dependent on both cables and tips. Spiral Dots in my experience have the effect of smoothing high frequencies quite noticeably... The Symbio Peels, Symbio W, Acoustune AET07, and Azla Sedna all allow a fair amount more treble through compared to Spiral Dots, Final E, KZ Starline, and stock tips. I thought the FiiO LC-3.5D cable was much too thin and bright in combination with the Peels... Do give the Peels a try if you can :)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #5,195 of 5,805
With regards to the treble, I do feel that's dependent on both cables and tips. Spiral Dots in my experience have the effect of smoothing high frequencies quite noticeably... The Symbio Peels, Symbio W, Acoustune AET07, and Azla Sedna all allow a fair amount more treble through compared to Spiral Dots, Final E, KZ Starline, and stock tips. I thought the FiiO LC-3.5D cable were much too thin and bright in combination with the Peels... Do give the Peels a try if you can :)

I’m just curious as to the brand of silver cable your using?

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #5,197 of 5,805
Yes, it's a FiiO. I do have a 2-pin Null Lune MKVI lying around that I would like to try, but first! must obtain an adapter.

Brightness is just as subjective as bass quantity if not more? I mean people actually take the foam out of the IER-Z1R nozzles to make it brighter, then replace the foam with other foam or sock material. Also as people get older they lose treble hearing. Where some slightly bright treble could be simply too much for a kid. But I have to agree with the cable idea as dialing out the bass has been a key to my success with the Z5, that and adding power to it.

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #5,199 of 5,805
Definitely, and agreed on both subjective preferences and hearing ability. My own preferences have certainly shifted with time. For context, I can only hear up to 15kHz...
02D55EFD-3CB2-4E20-B715-3CD830AF60F2.jpeg

I’m sure I started to do my treble sensitivity in around the time Jimmy Carter was in office.

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #5,200 of 5,805
Listening to mine too after talking about them, and initially I was the opposite to @Redcarmoose and thought they sound darker than I remember (relative to CA Andromeda S which I’ve been using recently)

But now after about an hour, my ears have adjusted and the treble sounds clear, smooth and well extended. Its great how detailed they are without any harshness at all. It is airy but a different kind of air to the Andromeda. I feel like the Z5 gets its airiness from its immense distance between each sound in the stage.

Using the TA-ZH1ES in balanced with the M9 cable and stock L hybrid tips.

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #5,201 of 5,805
Listening to mine too after talking about them, and initially I was the opposite to @Redcarmoose and thought they sound darker than I remember (relative to CA Andromeda S which I’ve been using recently)

But now after about an hour, my ears have adjusted and the treble sounds clear, smooth and well extended. Its great how detailed they are without any harshness at all. It is airy but a different kind of air to the Andromeda. I feel like the Z5 gets its airiness from its immense distance between each sound in the stage.

Using the TA-ZH1ES in balanced with the M9 cable and stock L hybrid tips.

The Sony Hybrid Tips in L add bass to the IER-Z1R, adding low end in comparison to stock IER-Z1R tips. The TA is a great add making the soundstage seem even bigger and blacker than the Walkmans. Though with my use I find the TA slightly dark for the Z5?

In my use now.... 1Z with 3.02 firmware is brighter where the TA is darker with the Z5.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #5,202 of 5,805
I wonder how an all Sony chain of WM1A -> Kimber/Sony balanced cable -> Z5 would compare? Sony stuff with Sony is really great!

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #5,203 of 5,805
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #5,204 of 5,805
A little workaround for those of us who are worried about cable swapping on the Z5:

IMG_2553 2.jpg

Music Sanctuary in Singapore stock straight and angled 2-pin to MMCX adapters, as well as angled MMCX to MMCX adapters. They ship to the US, from what I glean from their website.

The adapters are a perfect with the Z5, with no wiggle whatsoever.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #5,205 of 5,805
1ADF3C03-909A-415D-9E2C-8A83C7A371F0.jpeg
After spending a bit more time with my Z5 this weekend and trying it again with different amp and dap combinations, the PHA-2A still stands as my favourite match (and also for the N3, but the Z5 is better with it’s soundstage and clarity) :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back