Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Feb 16, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #5,206 of 5,804
I've ordered ier 1zr for my new wm1z and intending to use my wm1a for work. Are these iems a good match for it? I love the Sony n3

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #5,207 of 5,804
Can anyone compare the upgrade 4.4 balance kimber cable (MUC-M12SB1) to the 4.4 balanced cable you get with M9 using the XBA Z5?

Which one is higher quality and are there sound differences between these two cables? I think they are similarly priced. The kimber cable certainly looks like higher quality in appearance. Cant seem to find much about these two cables on the internet.

Mar 16, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #5,208 of 5,804
A bit old at this point, but, just as a note I went back and forth with Sony for a month and it seems that post the 1 year warranty, you're basically screwed if any Sony buds break (this includes the newest flagships).

Unless its in warranty, there are 0 repair options on its IEMs as Sony does not provide the parts to its distributors and repair shops.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #5,209 of 5,804
Someone had their XBA-N3 reshelled (last 2 pages of the thread - pics and graph), I wonder if this would work for the Z5.

Apr 23, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #5,211 of 5,804
Someone had their XBA-N3 reshelled (last 2 pages of the thread - pics and graph), I wonder if this would work for the Z5.
E830BC50-A2DB-46F7-8A7A-44B11D64C868.jpeg
0879ED3D-6C93-4766-A8C1-F4CB140330A5.jpeg

https://m.facebook.com/Art-Ear-custom-in-ear-monitors-916284495199200/

If you look on the builders page he actually took pictures of his creation. Though not to be negative but the magnesium housing of the XBA-Z5 maybe has a lot to do with the bass resonance? Though who knows?

Before I found the post you told us about I was thinking that the only way someone would do that would be if they broke their N3 changing cables and sure enough that was what happened here. Note too......he now has also gone back to his stock XBA-N3 cable on the original post.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #5,213 of 5,804
I'm forever fantasising of how I could get my ears and the Z5 back together again.

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #5,214 of 5,804
I'm forever fantasising of how I could get my ears and the Z5 back together again.

I’ve considered selling mine a few times, but I’ve come to the conclusion that they offer something unique enough from the IER-Z1R that makes them worth keeping in my collection.

I really can’t recommend the PHA-2A + Z5 combo enough. There’s just something special about it. The PHA-2A brightens them up just enough to make the treble beautifully sparkly and airy, but still maintains that epic low end, and actually cleans up the mid bass really well.

To buy this whole combo would still be significantly cheaper than buying just the IER-Z1R’s on their own, and the sound quality is right up there with a Z1R + WM1Z pairing in my opinion.

EEA4916D-A7E8-4A0F-B7D9-B25BE42A191B.jpeg

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #5,215 of 5,804
I’ve considered selling mine a few times, but I’ve come to the conclusion that they offer something unique enough from the IER-Z1R that makes them worth keeping in my collection.

I really can’t recommend the PHA-2A + Z5 combo enough. There’s just something special about it. The PHA-2A brightens them up just enough to make the treble beautifully sparkly and airy, but still maintains that epic low end, and actually cleans up the mid bass really well.

To buy this whole combo would still be significantly cheaper than buying just the IER-Z1R’s on their own, and the sound quality is right up there with a Z1R + WM1Z pairing in my opinion.

EEA4916D-A7E8-4A0F-B7D9-B25BE42A191B.jpeg
Are you using the cable supplied with the IER-M7 and M9 on your Z5? If so do you know the part number or where I could purchase this cable? It looks like a good fit.

I bought the MUC-M12NB1 upgrade cable for the Z5 and it's awful. I can't believe Sony specifically recommends this cable for the Z5. It doesn't come with ear hooks or guides so it can't be worn over ear. If you try to the cable just falls off the ear and hangs in front of my face. More importantly the connectors on the cable are not a good fit for Z5. They sit loose in the Z5 socket and theres a lot off movement. Long term it would probably cause damage. Can't believe I spent $90 for this trash imported from Japan.

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #5,216 of 5,804
Are you using the cable supplied with the IER-M7 and M9 on your Z5? If so do you know the part number or where I could purchase this cable? It looks like a good fit.

I bought the MUC-M12NB1 upgrade cable for the Z5 and it's awful. I can't believe Sony specifically recommends this cable for the Z5. It doesn't come with ear hooks or guides so it can't be worn over ear. If you try to the cable just falls off the ear and hangs in front of my face. More importantly the connectors on the cable are not a good fit for Z5. They sit loose in the Z5 socket and theres a lot off movement. Long term it would probably cause damage. Can't believe I spent $90 for this trash imported from Japan.

Yeah it’s the M9 cable. I really like it with the Z5 as the ear hooks are more comfortable than the stock cable. I tried the Sony kimber cable but the lack of ear hooks didn’t work for me either.

Not sure of the part number, but I bought it from here:

https://www.speedyspares.com/shop/sony/3861-sony-ier-m9-balanced-headphone-cable-s0191270411.html

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #5,217 of 5,804

I totally agree, I bought that cable when I had my A3 before upgrading to the Z5. There was a definite sound improvement from the thin stock cables and I like the solid L shaped connector, but otherwise it is horrid for the Z5 - the MMCX connectors are really loose causing connection issues and the lack of ear guides for such a heavy iem is pointless. Perhaps they were catering for the N3 as well, but they could have included ear guides for the A3/Z5. Fortunately I bought mine in Japan so it wasn't as expensive as an import.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #5,218 of 5,804
Yeah it’s the M9 cable. I really like it with the Z5 as the ear hooks are more comfortable than the stock cable. I tried the Sony kimber cable but the lack of ear hooks didn’t work for me either.

Not sure of the part number, but I bought it from here:

https://www.speedyspares.com/shop/sony/3861-sony-ier-m9-balanced-headphone-cable-s0191270411.html
I don't see the price on the link, how much please? The XBA series original stock cables were thin and pretty average, how do the stock M7/M9 cables compare to the MUC upgrade cables? On par or better quality?

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #5,219 of 5,804
I don't see the price on the link, how much please? The XBA series original stock cables were thin and pretty average, how do the stock M7/M9 cables compare to the MUC upgrade cables? On par or better quality?

I paid AU$99

I haven’t tried the MUC cables other than the kimber. It’s thinner than the kimber, but sonically I can’t hear a significant difference between the two. In terms of general build quality, I’d say it’s great. The cable is soft yet durable, doesn’t kink, and zero microphonics. The ear hooks are comfortable.

if you want something similar but thicker like the kimber cable and with ear hooks, go with the Z1R cable.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #5,220 of 5,804
I paid AU$99

I haven’t tried the MUC cables other than the kimber. It’s thinner than the kimber, but sonically I can’t hear a significant difference between the two. In terms of general build quality, I’d say it’s great. The cable is soft yet durable, doesn’t kink, and zero microphonics. The ear hooks are comfortable.

if you want something similar but thicker like the kimber cable and with ear hooks, go with the Z1R cable.
Thanks - I tried the M7 and M9 in Japan when they came out and now I remember the stock cable being of much better design and quality. My upgrade cable wasn't the Kimber so I assume it would be of similar quality to the standard upgrade cable. It took a few years, but the design, fit and cables of the new iems are leap years ahead of the XBA range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back