Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Apr 23, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #5,221 of 5,804
Thanks - I tried the M7 and M9 in Japan when they came out and now I remember the stock cable being of much better design and quality. My upgrade cable wasn't the Kimber so I assume it would be of similar quality to the standard upgrade cable. It took a few years, but the design, fit and cables of the new iems are leap years ahead of the XBA range.

Yeah I agree. The IER range cables are significantly better than the XBA cables. Even the N3 stock balanced cable is quite underwhelming.

It would be great if they brought out a kimber cable with the IER ear hooks. I love the look of the kimber cable and the 4.4mm plug is very nice on it :)

Apr 24, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #5,222 of 5,804
Yeah I agree. The IER range cables are significantly better than the XBA cables. Even the N3 stock balanced cable is quite underwhelming.

It would be great if they brought out a kimber cable with the IER ear hooks. I love the look of the kimber cable and the 4.4mm plug is very nice on it :)
The Sony IER cable you are using at the moment for your Z5 is there any wiggle or looseness at the connection or is it a tight fit? Just want to be sure before I get it.

Apr 24, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #5,223 of 5,804
The Sony IER cable you are using at the moment for your Z5 is there any wiggle or looseness at the connection or is it a tight fit? Just want to be sure before I get it.

No wiggle. It’s tight :)

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #5,224 of 5,804
Hey guys,

Sold my Z5 and ended up keeping the Blon 03, but now I miss the z5. Thinking about rebuying them, but wondering if I should try something else. I know @redrol loves the A8, but I can't imagine the bass impact comes close. I know some folks really love the Tapes. Currently running on my G8, but plan to purchase M11 again. The Blons are pretty good, but don't have the same bass impact or detail as Z5, and the fit is still weird. I tried the m7, and Bravado. Bravado wasn't right for me and too open. M7 has that little tab at the bottom that rubbed my ears. N3 is good, but not as good as Z5, so feels fairly parallel to Blon as far as sound, but for $300 more. Thoughts?

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #5,225 of 5,804
Hey guys,

Sold my Z5 and ended up keeping the Blon 03, but now I miss the z5. Thinking about rebuying them, but wondering if I should try something else. I know @redrol loves the A8, but I can't imagine the bass impact comes close. I know some folks really love the Tapes. Currently running on my G8, but plan to purchase M11 again. The Blons are pretty good, but don't have the same bass impact or detail as Z5, and the fit is still weird. I tried the m7, and Bravado. Bravado wasn't right for me and too open. M7 has that little tab at the bottom that rubbed my ears. N3 is good, but not as good as Z5, so feels fairly parallel to Blon as far as sound, but for $300 more. Thoughts?

Your comments in this thread over the last few months were very helpful for my journey into Sony IEMs, so the least I could do is offer my take...

1) I owned the N3 for about a week, but ended up returning them. They didn't have the Z5 tuning at all. While I wanted some variety, their tuning didn't appeaI to me, and no amount of EQing fixed that.

2) I would give the M7 a hard look. We are all of course built differently, but if you could live with that tab, I think you would be impressed. (the tab is the solution to vacuum issue - once inserted in place, just lift up on the tab to equalize pressure)

The M7 is the perfect compliment to the Z5 that I hoped it would be. On some songs and in some situations, I now prefer it to the Z5 (gasp!).

3) You may want to give the Final E5000 a listen. It is very comfortable. It's bass is similar to the M7's bass (ie, solid and impactfull, but not Z5 bass). With SpiralDots, the soundstaging and midrange texturing are also similar to the M7. (Note that although I generally like Final tips, they make the E5000 way too thick and reduce the soundstaging substantially).

Ultimately it is still a bit warmer than the M7 though. (the E4000 might be a closer match to the M7, but I have not heard it). I view the E5000 as a bit of a cross between the Z5 and M7 - it has many of those IEM's strengths, but simply isn't as good as either of them in any area. For its $300-ish price, it is a solid value...

I started comparing the M7 and Z5 over in the M7/M9/Z1 thread.

I hope that helps as a start...

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #5,226 of 5,804
Apr 29, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #5,227 of 5,804
Thanks, man. I had the 800's. Really prefer the z5. They just had a bit more ... idk. 800 were dry, so maybe z5 is... wet? Still nothing compares to the Z5 for me. I'm sure the Z1R would work, but I can't (and won't) spend that much. I tried the final E5000. Didn't do it for me. I like big bass and big stage. z5 was what I fell in love with. I have a commission coming up that I think will go toward Z5 and M11 repurchase. If anyone is parting with their Z5, hit me up.

Apr 29, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #5,228 of 5,804
Thanks, man. I had the 800's. Really prefer the z5. They just had a bit more ... idk. 800 were dry, so maybe z5 is... wet? Still nothing compares to the Z5 for me. I'm sure the Z1R would work, but I can't (and won't) spend that much. I tried the final E5000. Didn't do it for me. I like big bass and big stage. z5 was what I fell in love with. I have a commission coming up that I think will go toward Z5 and M11 repurchase. If anyone is parting with their Z5, hit me up.

Ha! Of course I understand - I am still dumbfounded by how much I love the Z5.

Worse comes to worse, Amazon still has the Z5, new, for $399.

You have to appreciate those few moments of clarity in an otherwise complicated life - get the Z5/M11 and be happy! 😁

Apr 29, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #5,229 of 5,804
Hey guys,

That’s the funny part of this hobby; that hindsight is 20/20. You never really know what you like at times. The best we can hope for is to settle down with an IEM. I actually have no advice other than just get the XBA-Z5 again. I’m not really experienced with all the IEMs out there but in my experience the Z5 is unique. To me it’s way way better than the N3. But......I had to buy the N3 to figure that out. I go through phases where I like other IEMs but when I do come back to the Z5 it’s reminds me how special it is.

The Z5 seems to be passed by in ways by all the multi-BA Chi-Fi IEMs in the Z5 past and present price range......still it has something over them in my experience? I think much of the historic confusion with the Z5 was people just didn’t drive them right in the past. In 2014 there really wasn’t hard to drive IEMs around? To me the XBA-Z5 is not that special from a low power source.........but get them juice and the soundstage goes out, imaging becomes clear and the bass and lower midrange clear up.

One interesting IEM could be the $389 Fearless S6Rui? Still you would need an aftermarket cable as the cable the S6Rui has a bad included cable. Also..........the S6Rui is probably for a very different listener. It may have some special qualities and is a great deal for the price, but nothing comes close to the Z5 bass impact and cohesive imaging. IMO

https://penonaudio.com/fearless-aud..._JByUGhU79a2L2kncuICnH7IdawtzjllhvIOZc5AN3sxQ

The Fearless S6Rui does rule the $400 price range, but most likely some who loves the XBA-Z5 sound profile will not like it. Really the XBA-Z5 and Fearless S6Rui are opposites. They may actually work as complementary IEMs together in a collection?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #5,230 of 5,804
I parted ways with mine a year ago due to frustrating design/fit issues (believe me I tried to make it work - I would have happily retired with them). My replacement is satisfactory, but I still often remember how the sound was so perfect for my tastes. As a secondary knock-around pair I got the N3, which gives me a taste of what the Z5 were, but I miss that smooth sound with glorious bass. You could really crank them up and they never harmed you.

Apr 29, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #5,231 of 5,804
I parted ways with mine a year ago due to frustrating design/fit issues (believe me I tried to make it work - I would have happily retired with them). My replacement is satisfactory, but I still often remember how the sound was so perfect for my tastes. As a secondary knock-around pair I got the N3, which gives me a taste of what the Z5 were, but I miss that smooth sound with glorious bass. You could really crank them up and they never harmed you.

Only the Z5 and the Sennheiser HD650 can do that in my experience - I can crank them louder and louder, hearing more and more deeply into the music.

Apr 29, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #5,232 of 5,804
Guess what. The Shuoer EJ07 has surpassed all of my iems. INSANE good iem. And spendy.

Apr 29, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #5,234 of 5,804
Cool. Mail them to me.

Apr 29, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #5,235 of 5,804
I hoped the MDR-Z7 might be the Z5 in overhead form but was totally disappointed, I dreamed the new M7 and M9 might cater for my Z5 tuned ears but nothing compares to that dynamic bass (Z1R is about as far as the moon for me price wise)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back