Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Apr 11, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #1,113 of 1,485
Me too wanna see a Z5 vs M7

I would be happy to fill you in, gerelmx. That is the least I could do, considering that you were influential in my z5 purchase AND m7 purchase (thank you! )...

Apr 11, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #1,114 of 1,485
Redcarmoose, you also get credit; I've been a Sennheiser HD650 fanboy for years, but read the entire z5 thread and then bought a pair of z5's (and the Kimber 4.4mm upgrade cable - much based on your insights). The z5 redefined my sonic preferences - and that's after 3 decades of being a rabid audiophile. I am still a bit dumbfounded about that...

I am not expecting a sonic clone of the z5, but rather I am hoping for the same general Sony tuning with a few changes to make things interesting. I love a layered, dimensional midrange, and hope the m7 delivers in that regard. If it can also deliver a Soundstage anywhere near the z5, that would just be bonus.

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #1,115 of 1,485
I am not expecting a sonic clone of the z5, but rather I am hoping for the same general Sony tuning with a few changes to make things interesting. I love a layered, dimensional midrange, and hope the m7 delivers in that regard. If it can also deliver a Soundstage anywhere near the z5, that would just be bonus.

The Z5 soundstage is huge and beats the M9, especially in width. But the imaging on the M9 is super precise and beats the Z5 in that regard. If you’re keeping the Z5, I reckon your M7 will compliment it nicely :)

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #1,116 of 1,485
The Z5 soundstage is huge and beats the M9, especially in width. But the imaging on the M9 is super precise and beats the Z5 in that regard. If you’re keeping the Z5, I reckon your M7 will compliment it nicely :)
Yes - that is my hope for the M7 vs my Z5; tuning = similar, attributes = complimentary.

I will end ditching my Final E5000 and EX800ST if the M7 performs to expectations.

I briefly had an XBA-N3, but it just wasn't quite my taste. I respect its capabilities, but at the end of the day, I just liked the E5000's voicing better.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #1,117 of 1,485
But IER-Z1R beats the Z5 :wink:

Apr 12, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #1,119 of 1,485
Yes - that is my hope for the M7 vs my Z5; tuning = similar, attributes = complimentary.

I will end ditching my Final E5000 and EX800ST if the M7 performs to expectations.

I briefly had an XBA-N3, but it just wasn't quite my taste. I respect its capabilities, but at the end of the day, I just liked the E5000's voicing better.
would like to hear comparison to EX800ST as well, knowing both the 800st and M7 is the more subdued little brother of EX1000 and M9

Apr 17, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #1,120 of 1,485
I don't have time for a full review right now, nor do I have enough hours on my M7s for them to be broken in. I will do a full write up, but in the meantime I do have some initial comments:
  • I had a W-T-F moment, followed by "OMG what have I done???" when first listening to them. They were harsh and shrill, with minimal bass. But that changed over the first few hours of break in - and dramatically so after leaving them playing over night.
  • I agree they do have the best designed cable I have ever used. But I am not going to use it since it doesn't fit my use cases. I am instead using a 2.5mm balanced DD Audio ~$40 short silver plated cable out of my ES100 (I think DD is a new company founded by former Fiio employees). I love that cable - it is the next best cable IMHO. To avoid having to continuously unsnap the MMCX connectors, I then use a generic 2.5mm extension cable when running the M7 balanced from my Hugo/Cavalli Liquid Carbon desk rig (does no one make a fxxxing audiophile quality 2.5mm extension cable???). Admittedly, it sounded best when I borrowed the Kimber MUC-M12SB1 from my Z5 - but it is too bulky for portable use (more details on that to be discussed another day).
  • I am relatively new to portable audio, coming from decades of stereo and then home theater. So classic stereo gear is my point of reference.
    • In terms of imaging, the M7s sound like the Quad ESL989s that I used to own; ie., crazy good imaging. They sound like a dark room, with instruments and singers lit with spot lights - starkly standing out from the dark background, with every detail easily focused upon.
    • The Z5 in contrast sounds like my Magnepans; ie., crazy good soundstaging. The Z5s sound like a dimly lit room where you easily see the instruments and singers relative to each other, with a smidge less detail, but you also see their position within the room - perhaps even "hearing" the dimensions of room.
    • In terms of bass, the M7 sounds like a mini-tower speaker with dual 6 inch drivers; ie., it covers most of the bass you will need for most music, and it delivers it nimbly. The Z5 sounds like a full tower with twin 12 inch woofers and an outboard subwoofer. The bass isn't as tight or fast as what you get with the M7, but it delivers soooo much depth, scale, and presence. The M7 was just not able to match the sub bass that the Z5 easily delivered - in that regard the M7 sounds like my Magnepan 2.5Rs, whereas the Z5 sounds like my Magnepans run with my twin SVS SB-2000 subwoofers.
    • Bonus food for thought: it is an audio truism that sub bass opens up soundstaging and contributes to its spaciousness. I wonder if some of that is going on with the Z5...
More to come over the coming days as I get more time and I get another 150 hours on the M7s...

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #1,121 of 1,485
The Ear Tip MMCX Mod

For something totally different, I rigged a way to protect the M7's MMCX connectors.

I was originally set on just using the stock Sony cable on M7, but it was way to cumbersome with its 1.2m length into a 4.4m-to-2.5mm converter for use in my ES100.

I was inspired by what I did for my Z5: I wrapped a layer of electrical tape around the MMCX barrels of my Kimber MUC-M12SB1 to protect my Z5's connectors. The DD Audio cable has smaller diameter silver barrels that would allow free spinning and a lot of play between the barrel and the earphone body. And, it would look like like crap if wrapped with multiple layers of electrical tape.

After a trip to the hardware store to find O-rings, I realized there didn't seem to be small enough O-rings. But then I realized I already had dozens of silicone tubes that I could cut to use as spacers...the barrels from my spare ear tips. Thus, the Ear Tip MMCX Mod was born.

I found a size Small ear tip, since I will never use that size. Ironically, it was an extra Sony ear tip that I had from some older earphone. I simply cut off a ~3mm ring from the bottom of the eartip barrel, and then slid it around the cable's MMCX connector barrel. The whole thing then fit snugly into the M7's recessed connector. Now, it takes a lot of effort to turn the cable, and there is ZERO lateral levering movement between the male and female connectors (which is the risk, more so than spinning). Best of all, it actually improves on the aesthetics, since there is no longer any visible gap between the cable and IEM.

When I get more time, I will see if I can get something similar rigged for my Z5.

See the following pics, and let me know if you have any questions...

Apr 17, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #1,122 of 1,485
DSC_0221.JPG

Apr 17, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #1,123 of 1,485
DSC_0220.JPG

Apr 25, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #1,124 of 1,485
I realize where I’m posting this question, but I’m looking for a very high resolution and detail oriented IEM. Can anyone comment on the M9 vs M7 vs Fearless S8z vs ThieAudio V14 vs Z1R?

Also, I’m wondering how the M7 specifically compares to the se846. I know the highs are a lot better, since that’s the big weakness of the se846, but how’s the micro detail and quantity of bass in comparison.

Any input regarding these IEMs is appreciated.

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #1,125 of 1,485
I don't have time for a full review right now, nor do I have enough hours on my M7s for them to be broken in. I will do a full write up, but in the meantime I do have some initial comments:
  • I had a W-T-F moment, followed by "OMG what have I done???" when first listening to them. They were harsh and shrill, with minimal bass. But that changed over the first few hours of break in - and dramatically so after leaving them playing over night.
  • I agree they do have the best designed cable I have ever used. But I am not going to use it since it doesn't fit my use cases. I am instead using a 2.5mm balanced DD Audio ~$40 short silver plated cable out of my ES100 (I think DD is a new company founded by former Fiio employees). I love that cable - it is the next best cable IMHO. To avoid having to continuously unsnap the MMCX connectors, I then use a generic 2.5mm extension cable when running the M7 balanced from my Hugo/Cavalli Liquid Carbon desk rig (does no one make a fxxxing audiophile quality 2.5mm extension cable???). Admittedly, it sounded best when I borrowed the Kimber MUC-M12SB1 from my Z5 - but it is too bulky for portable use (more details on that to be discussed another day).
  • I am relatively new to portable audio, coming from decades of stereo and then home theater. So classic stereo gear is my point of reference.
    • In terms of imaging, the M7s sound like the Quad ESL989s that I used to own; ie., crazy good imaging. They sound like a dark room, with instruments and singers lit with spot lights - starkly standing out from the dark background, with every detail easily focused upon.
    • The Z5 in contrast sounds like my Magnepans; ie., crazy good soundstaging. The Z5s sound like a dimly lit room where you easily see the instruments and singers relative to each other, with a smidge less detail, but you also see their position within the room - perhaps even "hearing" the dimensions of room.
    • In terms of bass, the M7 sounds like a mini-tower speaker with dual 6 inch drivers; ie., it covers most of the bass you will need for most music, and it delivers it nimbly. The Z5 sounds like a full tower with twin 12 inch woofers and an outboard subwoofer. The bass isn't as tight or fast as what you get with the M7, but it delivers soooo much depth, scale, and presence. The M7 was just not able to match the sub bass that the Z5 easily delivered - in that regard the M7 sounds like my Magnepan 2.5Rs, whereas the Z5 sounds like my Magnepans run with my twin SVS SB-2000 subwoofers.
    • Bonus food for thought: it is an audio truism that sub bass opens up soundstaging and contributes to its spaciousness. I wonder if some of that is going on with the Z5...
More to come over the coming days as I get more time and I get another 150 hours on the M7s...

Don't forget to tip-roll!! The best fit for me is different than what I'd normally use with other IEMs. Too large a fit = shriller treble/upper midrange and boomy bass, too small a fit = weak bass! It should fit comfortably without sticking out but also not pushed in that the shell rubs against your ear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back