Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Mar 19, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #1,096 of 1,485
For M9, now using cheapo large tip with medium bore, thick hard stem, I cut 2mm from the stem.. feels and prolly sound like custom IEM, wide contact area & shallow insert but tip is very near the canal.
Tried it on EX1000 also, worked well also. It's now my 2nd best for this IEM. The ML-size Sony hybrid still sound best, but take effort to push far in.

Apr 4, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #1,098 of 1,485

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #1,099 of 1,485

Apr 4, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #1,100 of 1,485
Can anyone please advise, M7 or M9 for Hiby R5? I’m sensitive to harsh / sibilance treble.
Loved the M9 if you get a good deal on it is a no brainer. Never tried the M7.

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #1,101 of 1,485
Only the Hiby R3. Don't really own any high-end IEMs at the moment. (My most expensive iem is the M7)

Demoed the Z1R a few months ago, and I can't forget the bass performance they had!

Apologies for answering in a different way than you asked for, but here goes, my 5 cents...

With the HiBy R3 as a source you'll not hear the M7 at their full potential, and I'd rather consider investing in a good source than another IEM.
I am pairing the R3 with the Chord Mojo and they form a perfect little "Sound Brick".
Let me put it this way - I have bought the Mojo 2 years ago and have since spent about 2000 on IEMs but have not ever looked back at getting a different source...
And I just placed an order for the M9. Listened to it a year ago, and with the current price I finally pulled the trigger.

PS: I listen to a lot of live recordings of acoustic and orchestral music, and that's IMO where the Mojo is simply stunning in it's reconstruction of the soundstage, dynamics, details, separation, natural sound and yet it is very smooth and "analog" sounding, rather than "digitally detailed" (kind of like an over sharpened photo)
For computer generated or heavily processed music it makes a little less difference, there it becomes more of a preference of sound signatures.

PPS: The case and transport box are my own 3D printed design :wink:
4CDED17D-DF26-4112-9343-E5E66A6D4852.jpeg
17CF8E96-AF70-4287-AC59-A9C4591927DE.jpeg
Mojo-Hiby Transport Case Black-4.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #1,102 of 1,485
Fit and Isolation:
  • as suspected, the z1r provides superior isolation (to the M9), most likely due to the fit

You are correct in attributing this to fit... Since the Z1R utilizes a dynamic driver, it features a pinhole vent port on the body. This is needed to allow the driver to move. A small amount of ambient noise will enter through this hole... This will makes the Z1R significantly less isolating than the M9, assuming one is able to achieve a good fit with the M9.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #1,103 of 1,485
Is anybody beating the crap out of their M7's, either with hard daily use or running/exercise/the gym etc? How has that fared?

I like my M9s so much I'm considering retiring my trusty SE215s from my workout regimen in favor of the M7. Durability is paramount... Don't want to feel like I need to be precious with them. The SE215s take everything I throw at them... being dropped, sweat, heat, the whole deal. And obviously the cost to replace them would be far less than the M7s. And honestly, they sound fine for the gym or running or whatever.

Maybe I'm just going stir-crazy.

Apr 10, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #1,104 of 1,485
Is anybody beating the crap out of their M7's, either with hard daily use or running/exercise/the gym etc? How has that fared?

I like my M9s so much I'm considering retiring my trusty SE215s from my workout regimen in favor of the M7. Durability is paramount... Don't want to feel like I need to be precious with them. The SE215s take everything I throw at them... being dropped, sweat, heat, the whole deal. And obviously the cost to replace them would be far less than the M7s. And honestly, they sound fine for the gym or running or whatever.

Maybe I'm just going stir-crazy.

I own a pair of M7s and while I use them daily, I baby them a bit. I've read of cases of the cables oxidising though which may be exacerbated with sweat. The M7's shell is plastic though which is relatively easy to clean with a dot of alcohol. Sony's MMCX implementation seems sturdy enough.

Apr 10, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #1,105 of 1,485
Can anyone please advise, M7 or M9 for Hiby R5? I’m sensitive to harsh / sibilance treble.

Neither are harsh or sibilant. The M9 has very slightly more emphasis on upper mids and higher frequencies but nothing exaggerated. The M7 has more warmth and body in its bass and lower mids. I've never used an R5 though.

Apr 10, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,106 of 1,485
Loved the M9 if you get a good deal on it is a no brainer. Never tried the M7.

My first set of IEMs were Shure 846 with the FIIO Q5. Ran it off my iPhone and thought it was crazy good.

Then I pulled the trigger on the Sony WM1A and the IER-Z1Rs. I thought my head would explode from the incredible sound.

Eventually I bought the M9s for commuting purposes, but these things are so coherent with incredible bass and perfectly tuned highs that I find myself switching back and forth a couple times a day. Not to mention much more comfortable for my smaller ears.

It makes me wonder had I purchased the M9s first, would I get the Z1Rs?

(yeah, probably) Hey, post #200!!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #1,107 of 1,485
My first set of IEMs were Shure 846 with the FIIO Q5. Ran it off my iPhone and thought it was crazy good.

Then I pulled the trigger on the Sony WM1A and the IER-Z1Rs. I thought my head would explode from the incredible sound.

Eventually I bought the M9s for commuting purposes, but these things are so coherent with incredible bass and perfectly tuned highs that I find myself switching back and forth a couple times a day. Not to mention much more comfortable for my smaller ears.

It makes me wonder had I purchased the M9s first, would I get the Z1Rs?

(yeah, probably) Hey, post #200!!
I did the same. Had both the same time and liked both.

Apr 11, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #1,109 of 1,485
This is s a great thread and entertaining read. I appreciate everyone's insights on these 3 IEMs. I am pretty treble sensitive, and my budget doesn't allow the z1, so I went with the m7.

I ordered it and will get it in a few days - I can't wait to hear how it sounds compared to my beloved z5...

Apr 11, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,110 of 1,485
This is s a great thread and entertaining read. I appreciate everyone's insights on these 3 IEMs. I am pretty treble sensitive, and my budget doesn't allow the z1, so I went with the m7.

I ordered it and will get it in a few days - I can't wait to hear how it sounds compared to my beloved z5...

Nice! Congratulations :)

I’ll be keen to hear your thoughts on M7 compared to your Z5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back