Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Jan 6, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #1,066 of 1,487
Nice comparison! Although if the Z1R's were a little bright for you, I suspect that it may be from not getting the right fit in your demo. It took me a few weeks with plenty of tip rolling to get them to sound correct. I also normally use M size silicon tips but with Z1R I have to use LL.

Fit IS everything all the time; 7 days a week; all year long.......once more. :)

Still I think folks have a brightness threshold which like bass amount is subjective. When you get older you can stand even more brightness. IMO

Though I think DAPs like the 1A or 1Z are actually slightly laid back in comparison to some phones with the IER-Z1R.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #1,067 of 1,487
Anyone compare the M9 and/or the Z1R with A64's U12t and/or CF Solaris?

I understand there are some way too detailed comparisons (for me anyway) on here but I'd be interested to hear from or link to someone who's tried them while owning one or the other.

Essentially would either the CF or A64 complement the Sony line or are they entirely different species? I love what I have so I'm not even sure why I'm asking. Nevertheless, I'll ask anyway.
'
- Bobby

Jan 9, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #1,068 of 1,487
Maybe! I admit I did not get to try with LL sized tips. If ever I get to demo them again, I'll update my impressions.
Just to note the triple comfort tips add a bit more mid-bass warmth than the silicons. This ameliorates the treble a bit.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #1,069 of 1,487
Anyone compare the M9 and/or the Z1R with A64's U12t and/or CF Solaris?

I understand there are some way too detailed comparisons (for me anyway) on here but I'd be interested to hear from or link to someone who's tried them while owning one or the other.

Essentially would either the CF or A64 complement the Sony line or are they entirely different species? I love what I have so I'm not even sure why I'm asking. Nevertheless, I'll ask anyway.
'
- Bobby

I have an OG (B-stock) Solaris and the IER-Z1R. I'd say the two IEMs are different enough that it's worth keeping both. The Z1R feels like it's a little more V-shaped than the Solaris: the bass has more impact and quality and the treble is a bit hotter. Works really well for modern pop and EDM, but at the moment I prefer the Solaris for busy tracks with a lot of double bass (i.e, black and death metal).

However, I've only owned both IEMs for a week, so consider this anecdote a first impression.

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #1,070 of 1,487
I have an OG (B-stock) Solaris and the IER-Z1R. I'd say the two IEMs are different enough that it's worth keeping both. The Z1R feels like it's a little more V-shaped than the Solaris: the bass has more impact and quality and the treble is a bit hotter. Works really well for modern pop and EDM, but at the moment I prefer the Solaris for busy tracks with a lot of double bass (i.e, black and death metal).

However, I've only owned both IEMs for a week, so consider this anecdote a first impression.

Thanks for the info and my apologies for the delayed response. I appreciate the comparison and your effort in responding.

Still looking for a U12t vs Z1R and/or M9 comparison. Although, at these prices, it may be wishful thinking.

Bah, can't justify owning both anyway unless the u12t is THAT stellar.

I think perhaps I need a girlfriend.

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #1,071 of 1,487
Thanks for the info and my apologies for the delayed response. I appreciate the comparison and your effort in responding.

Still looking for a U12t vs Z1R and/or M9 comparison. Although, at these prices, it may be wishful thinking.

Bah, can't justify owning both anyway unless the u12t is THAT stellar.

I think perhaps I need a girlfriend.
A rich one or a Sugar mommy :D

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #1,072 of 1,487
Have any of you tried upgrade cables with the Z1R/M9/M7?

Feb 2, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #1,073 of 1,487
Have any of you tried upgrade cables with the Z1R/M9/M7?
Yes, I've tried a pure silver and AE Eros II 8 wire (generally my favorite all around cable), and still preferred the overall (very slightly) warmer tone of the stock cable. Also tried the PW no.5 8 wire, and found it a bit too warm, with a little bit too much smoothing of the treble. Stock cable still seems to provide the best balance, top to bottom, to my taste. IMO

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #1,077 of 1,487

Users who are viewing this thread

Back