Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Dec 31, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #1,051 of 1,485
Great lead for a better case for the M9/M7...

I was a little underwhelmed with the stock M9 carry case... Really dislike the rubber cable holder widget, and even if you remove it, there’s that little knob in the center of the case you kind of have to position the cable/IEMs around. Also, my case didn’t like to close very securely with the Sony-branded 4.4mm balanced Kimber Kable I use, which is a bit thicker than stock, and features a larger plug.

Anyway, if anyone else wants something nicer. I highly suggest picking up the Rigicase Super Hard Aluminum IEM Earbuds Case, available on Amazon for like $33. Perfect fit for the M9 (even with the Kimber), and much more secure and protective than the stock case.

For the money, the Rigicase product is actually really great... I’d read a review saying it was just as well made as the $100 JHA Audio aluminum case, and I didn’t believe it, but comparing it to my JHA Signature Round Case that came with my JH13v2, it actually is... Just as heavy and substantial as the JHA, and the fit and finish and machining is on par (the Rigicase is angular while the JHA is rounded). Also the threading appears equally well machined, and it screws open/closed just as smoothly.

One thing I like better about the Rigicase is that both lower and upper pieces are lined with soft material. There’s rubber lining on the bottom piece, and soft fabric on the upper. The JHA case just has soft fabric on the bottom piece, and bare aluminum on the inside of the upper piece. Not a huge deal, but still.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #1,052 of 1,485
I'm using a $15 case from Audio Technica, AT-HPP300. Not aluminum but I find the cable wrap useful and the separation between the cable and the IEMs themselves is nice. Also very sturdy and can't be squashed because of the central divider acting as support.
Looks like this:
m23533254617_3.jpg

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #1,053 of 1,485
I don't like the cases or the rubber holders either so thanks for the suggestions, friends.

For anyone considering the M9 over the Z1R, or any other IEM for that matter, I can't understate how comfortable they are. I use IEMS all day, every day at work. Approximately 5 hours a day, maybe more. At first, I used the Z1R's as my daily at work. After 2/3 hours they irritate my ears and tend to fall out some. I've since switched to the M9 now and I can listen all day with no discomfort whatsoever.

I always underestimated fit and comfort before. I wanted the best possible sound and nothing else in the equation mattered to me. I figured that if they at least stayed placed in my ears I'd manage. I now realize how important and practical fit and comfort is to the overall appeal, assessment, and day-to-day practicality of an IEM. Huge consideration when comparing the M9 to the Z1R.

Don't get me wrong, though. I love them both and won't be selling one because I have the other. My setup now is to use the M9 daily and save the Z1R for 'special' and/or shorter listening sessions. Essentially, when I flag a new song, album or band I like I make a playlist and then run the tunes through the Z1R. Works for me.

I hope this information helps anyone who is in the market for the M9 or Z1R. I also hear that the M7 is no slouch either. I have not ever heard or tried it and I certainly dont think I need it, but still, the sony trilogy has me wondering.

- Bobby

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #1,054 of 1,485
I don't like the cases or the rubber holders either so thanks for the suggestions, friends.

For anyone considering the M9 over the Z1R, or any other IEM for that matter, I can't understate how comfortable they are. I use IEMS all day, every day at work. Approximately 5 hours a day, maybe more. At first, I used the Z1R's as my daily at work. After 2/3 hours they irritate my ears and tend to fall out some. I've since switched to the M9 now and I can listen all day with no discomfort whatsoever.

I always underestimated fit and comfort before. I wanted the best possible sound and nothing else in the equation mattered to me. I figured that if they at least stayed placed in my ears I'd manage. I now realize how important and practical fit and comfort is to the overall appeal, assessment, and day-to-day practicality of an IEM. Huge consideration when comparing the M9 to the Z1R.

Don't get me wrong, though. I love them both and won't be selling one because I have the other. My setup now is to use the M9 daily and save the Z1R for 'special' and/or shorter listening sessions. Essentially, when I flag a new song, album or band I like I make a playlist and then run the tunes through the Z1R. Works for me.

I hope this information helps anyone who is in the market for the M9 or Z1R. I also hear that the M7 is no slouch either. I have not ever heard or tried it and I certainly dont think I need it, but still, the sony trilogy has me wondering.

- Bobby

The fit and comfort thing is a very personal and individual thing. I can use the Z1R for 6-8 hours straight without any discomfort at all

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #1,055 of 1,485

- Bobby
The Z1R sounds interesting in terms of pure sound, but what pushed me to the M9 was the isolation... Dynamic IEMs just don't isolate like BA models, and I needed the best isolation possible. M7/M9 isolate as well as the various Shure models.

Caveat 1: At least to my ears. YMMV.

Caveat 2: I'm using the M9 with Comply foam tips. The Shures with Shure foam tips isolate better than the M9 with either of the included Sony tips.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,057 of 1,485
The fit and comfort thing is a very personal and individual thing. I can use the Z1R for 6-8 hours straight without any discomfort at all

I can't say I totally agree that fit is a very personal and individual thing. Sound, yes. Fit, not so much. I understand what you are saying, though.

I'm super stoked that you can listen to the Z1R that long without any issues, I certainly can't. I think it's also safe to state that considering the z1R comfortable is a minority position. Well documented that the M9's are considered much more comfortable than the Z1R. Also well documented that the z1r has a lot going for it, fit not being one of the many highlights.

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #1,058 of 1,485
I can't say I totally agree that fit is a very personal and individual thing. Sound, yes. Fit, not so much. I understand what you are saying, though.

I'm super stoked that you can listen to the Z1R that long without any issues, I certainly can't. I think it's also safe to state that considering the z1R comfortable is a minority position. Well documented that the M9's are considered much more comfortable than the Z1R. Also well documented that the z1r has a lot going for it, fit not being one of the many highlights.

I will admit to having large ears. The shells of my custom JH13 are roughly the same size as the Z1R. I can even comfortably lie on my side on a pillow with the Z1R for hours.

I will however agree that some shapes are likely to fit more people than other shapes and the Z1R probably falls in the category that is likely to fit fewer people

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #1,059 of 1,485
I will admit to having large ears. The shells of my custom JH13 are roughly the same size as the Z1R. I can even comfortably lie on my side on a pillow with the Z1R for hours
i wear mine also for hours with no discomfort

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #1,060 of 1,485
Which Shure's Earbones? I've always wondered about how the se846's compare to the M9.
My direct isolation comparison is between the M9 and the SE215, as those are the only Shures I currently have (my gym IEMs)...

That said, I had the SE846 years ago, and found the isolation basically identical to that of the SE215, so I'd feel confident saying the M9's isolation is on par with the SE846's.

In terms of comparing the overall performance of the SE846 to the M9, it's been a while since I've listened to the SE846. That said, I've listened to a lot of evolutionary BA IEMs between my time with the SE846 and the M9, and there have been a lot of advancements made. The SE846 was a superb BA IEM in 2013, and is by no means a slouch today. But the M9 is (to my ears) perhaps the best of the modern BA IEMs, and it takes advantage of all the industry has learned in the seven (action-packed) years since the SE846 was released.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #1,061 of 1,485
2012-2014 era Sony Balanced Armature were so much inferior to the Knowles BAs like the ones found on Shures. Timbre and Tonality didn't sound right on the XBA-4 iems.

But Sony has improved so much now. I believe the current Sony Balanced Armature design now already exceeds the performance of the typical Knowles design.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #1,062 of 1,485
The SE846 was a superb BA IEM in 2013, and is by no means a slouch today. But the M9 is (to my ears) perhaps the best of the modern BA IEMs

Once I got the fit right on the 846s, the maze woofer really wow'ed me. I didn't take it off for hours. I had it for a couple of weeks and the Rumours album from Fleetwood Mac had never sounded better.

This was 8 months ago. They were never on my list, because I didn't imagine spending a grand on earphones as good as they (and the Pioneer SE5s that I also tried) were.

I was still deliberating on the XBA N3BPs, AKG N40s or the Senn. IE80s. (At this point I had the Senn. IE Momentums, the PXC 550s and I was content)

Till the Solaris came along, and then the IER-M9s. The high praise gave me sleepless nights; the thought that I wasn't getting the full potential off my ZX300 didnt help either.

From red-lining at $400, my intended budget is literally off the tachometer in 8 months.

More to the point, the Shure 846s with the right fit are quite something. Barring the Etymotics, I find they are the best in isolation with excellent sound quality.

Maybe someone who has both (them and the IER-M9s) can shed some light.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #1,063 of 1,485
I got to try out the M9 and Z1R yesterday. I currently own and use the M7 since I was able to get them for a pretty okay price of $478.

All sound impressions are with the store unit iFi Micro iDSD Black Label.

Sony IER-Z1R

The first thing you notice is how much larger the Z1R is compared to the M7 and M9 which are by no means small IEMs. The Z1Rs are absolutely massive, similar in size to the Campfire Audio Andromeda. I find the M7 and M9 to be extremely picky with the right eartip size and insertion depth. For example, I use M on other IEMs but M sized eartips on the M7, albeit nice sounding but slightly lacking bass, cause an insertion too deep that allows the body to rub against my concha, causing some discomfort after long listening periods. I eventually tried L which offered a better seal but bass became too boomy and treble became a bit harsh. I'm currently using the size ML tips which give me good comfort, a good seal, and the best sound balance.

If you think the M7 are M9 are bad with fit, the Z1R is absolutely horrendous. Due to its V shape signature, a poor fit could easily mean over exaggerated bass and extremely shrill treble. You also can't solve it just by inserting it deeper as the sheer size of the IEM causes most of the body to stick out quite a bit past your ears.

Once that was settled, I found the Z1R to have the best soundstage I've ever heard in an IEM. Both wide and deep, it sounded closer to listening to a small 2.0 bookshelf set-up. The Z1R has the best bass definition, depth, and impact I've ever listened to. I'd say it's the basshead's TOTL choice. Treble is very refined but too bright for modern Pop and some poorly produced Hip-Hop records. Bass can also almost overwhelm the lower midrange in volume at times for already bass heavy albums like D'Angelo's Black Messiah. Thankfully, the soundstage and thus stellar separation is able keep the vocals clear. I would say the Z1R is quite close to the PP8 in terms of technicalities such as detail retrieval and timbre, superior in soundstage, and equal in imaging. Tonality, however, I find to be very genre and recording quality specific where as the PP8 performed with whatever I threw at it.

I would suggest the Z1R if you like these genres: Acoustic, Jazz, Rock (if you like your rock with an edge in the sound), Electronic music (surprised by how good it sounded with the Z1R)
They are okay with these genres: R&B, better produced Hip-Hop records

Additionally, I tried the Z1R with the already thinner sounding iPhone 6s and Spotify… :) it's best left said that if you only had $2000 to spend, get a $500 portable DAC/amp then $1500 IEMs instead of Z1Rs and an old smartphone you may already have.

Sony IER-M9

The M9 is by no means a slouch in technicalities compared to the Z1R. In fact, for my music preferences and if I only could have one IEM, I'd pick the M9 over the Z1R. The M9 is definitely the better all-rounder between the two. What you lose is in soundstage width, height, speed, and bass if you like bass. I find the treble of the M9 preferable generally since I am quite a bit sensitive to treble.

Compared to the M7, the M9 is actually not too far in terms of sound signature. I would have to admit that while I don't find the M7s dark at all, the M9 just add that extra definition and clarity in the treble. The M9 never gets harsh, never gets sibilant, and in fact is more refined and smooth the treble than the M7. It just has that additional emphasis relatively. The M9 also betters the M7 in its layering in the upper mids as well as imaging in the treble. Furthermore, the M9 exhibits a bit more air, probably also due to its 5th driver.

Bass detail and texture I would say are equal between the M7 and M9 with the M7 having a bit more emphasis but not necessarily going deeper. The lower mids of the M7 also have slightly more warmth in them which I would like male vocals. I would prefer the M9 for female vocals though as they come off just a bit sweeter. I'd say fullness of notes between the two are equal. In terms of genres, I'd say they are both amazing at everything I listen to.

Overall, for anyone deciding between the M7 and M9, your deciding factor shouldn't be whether the treble increase in the M9 would be too much. It isn't. I find the deciding factor to be whether or not you value a bit more technicality and clarity or whether you prefer a warmer bass and lower mid performance. If I was always using my own OG Micro iDSD and had the budget, I'd go for the M9. I do use my smartphone as a source out of convenience and in that regard, the slightly warmer midrange and more forgiving treble helps with the thinner sounding iPhone and Spotify Premium.

Of course, YMMV. I've also listened to the Solaris, the A&K T9iE, og Andromeda, and RE2000 if anyone wants comparisons with these.

IMG_7634.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #1,064 of 1,485
Treble is very refined but too bright for modern Pop and some poorly produced Hip-Hop records.

Nice comparison! Although if the Z1R's were a little bright for you, I suspect that it may be from not getting the right fit in your demo. It took me a few weeks with plenty of tip rolling to get them to sound correct. I also normally use M size silicon tips but with Z1R I have to use LL.

Jan 6, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #1,065 of 1,485
Nice comparison! Although if the Z1R's were a little bright for you, I suspect that it may be from not getting the right fit in your demo. It took me a few weeks with plenty of tip rolling to get them to sound correct. I also normally use M size silicon tips but with Z1R I have to use LL.

Maybe! I admit I did not get to try with LL sized tips. If ever I get to demo them again, I'll update my impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back