Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #4,591 of 5,804
kkkklo.jpg

The regular Sony large hybrids are still my thing with the Encore IEMs, though they do need adjustment, a little at times?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #4,592 of 5,804
Although the triple comfort tips in medium is slightly too small and the large is slightly too large, it's still more comfortable than the jvc spiral dots which I was using. I ordered the comply tips in the variety size pack to see if any of those fit better. I might just stick to the the sony triple comfort tips in large.

Do any of you remove the filter from the Z5? I was wondering if removing it would give me better sound.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #4,593 of 5,804
So my second hand pair with the Sony Kimber balanced cable arrived from US today as did 2 sets of tripple comforts from Japan. Sound is more or less what I expected and hoped, sort of an iem version of the Z1R. Fit and comfort will take some work and tip swapping. The large tripple comfort gives fine fit and seal in the right ear but seems to be slightly too small for propper seal in the left ear.

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #4,594 of 5,804
So my second hand pair with the Sony Kimber balanced cable arrived from US today as did 2 sets of tripple comforts from Japan. Sound is more or less what I expected and hoped, sort of an iem version of the Z1R. Fit and comfort will take some work and tip swapping. The large tripple comfort gives fine fit and seal in the right ear but seems to be slightly too small for propper seal in the left ear.

You may have to use two different size tips to adjust for each ear?

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #4,595 of 5,804
You may have to use two different size tips to adjust for each ear?

Quit possible but I need to find something that is bigger than large tripple comfort

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #4,596 of 5,804
Those Symbio Mandarine tips sound good and different on the Z5. I’ve had these IEMs for a couple of years and either used the Sony tips or a bi-flange tip which I liked. The Symbio tips bring the mids a bit forward and provide a bump up in clarity. I like them a lot with these.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #4,597 of 5,804
Quit possible but I need to find something that is bigger than large tripple comfort

The pure build wall strength of the Triple Comforts should be pushing the wall of the IEM tip against the inside of your ear canal? Though as a last ditch effort you can pack foam into the tip on that side to make it effectively larger after inserting? Try cutting some memory foam tips apart and making a circular ring which will fit inside of the Triple Comfort. In this way your actually making a Foam Interior/Triple Comfort hybrid.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #4,598 of 5,804
Been experimenting and the best way for me seems to be with the tripple comfort tips and the cable over ear and under chin. Normally I run cable over ear and meet at the back of my head and then down, but with these I can’t get the cable to stay behind the ears that way. Sound is lovely, full, warm but detailed and with great non bleeding bass when it is called for. It really is the same Sony sound sig as the Z1R, made for immersing in the music and listening to it, not analyzing it or the upstream gear. They require the same volume setting as Z1R so considerably more than the JH13 or qJays

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #4,599 of 5,804
Been experimenting and the best way for me seems to be with the tripple comfort tips and the cable over ear and under chin. Normally I run cable over ear and meet at the back of my head and then down, but with these I can’t get the cable to stay behind the ears that way. Sound is lovely, full, warm but detailed and with great non bleeding bass when it is called for. It really is the same Sony sound sig as the Z1R, made for immersing in the music and listening to it, not analyzing it or the upstream gear. They require the same volume setting as Z1R so considerably more than the JH13 or qJays
Are you using the stock cable?

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #4,600 of 5,804
Jul 16, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #4,601 of 5,804
I have the Sony non-Kimber balanced upgrade cable, has anyone tried those cheap silicon ear guide/earhooks? I was wondering if they could assist in giving a more stable fit as opposed to relying on tips.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #4,602 of 5,804
I am using the comply foam Comfort tips at M size and they stay well in place. I've got the technique of inserting them.
First roll the tips and compress them as you'll do with ear plugs.
Then insert the z5 and hold the bud in place to let the foam expand. Do the same for the other ear bud

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #4,603 of 5,804
I am using the comply foam Comfort tips at M size and they stay well in place. I've got the technique of inserting them.
First roll the tips and compress them as you'll do with ear plugs.
Then insert the z5 and hold the bud in place to let the foam expand. Do the same for the other ear bud

Not even large complys are big enough. My outer ear canal is fairly large so I used to use large comply even with the ER4 that goes DEEP into the ear.

Running the cable over ear and under chin gives me an angle where the large tripple comfort are just big enough to give me a seal

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #4,604 of 5,804
Not even large complys are big enough. My outer ear canal is fairly large so I used to use large comply even with the ER4 that goes DEEP into the ear.

Running the cable over ear and under chin gives me an angle where the large tripple comfort are just big enough to give me a seal
I used to have same problem with the sony silicone tips one ear used M size and the right ear L size

Jul 24, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #4,605 of 5,804
So I’ve been using the Z5 with my home rig a lot since I got them since the weather is too hot for the Z1R and the Z5 are clearly keepers, I love that I get so much of the Z1R feeling in an iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back