Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jul 24, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #4,607 of 5,804
So I’ve been using the Z5 with my home rig a lot since I got them since the weather is too hot for the Z1R and the Z5 are clearly keepers, I love that I get so much of the Z1R feeling in an iem.

Yea, That's why I did not get the Z1R even though I really like the sound. Over the ear phone makes me sweat even in cool weather.

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #4,609 of 5,804
So I’ve been using the Z5 with my home rig a lot since I got them since the weather is too hot for the Z1R and the Z5 are clearly keepers, I love that I get so much of the Z1R feeling in an iem.

Glad to hear the Triples worked out in the end.

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #4,610 of 5,804
Aug 4, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #4,612 of 5,804
Bass is always a matter of preference. To one member the amount would be considered giant, where another member the bass would be just big.

But it’s safe to say the Z5 running off enough juice is a gift from God with Trance.

Still just remember it will have bass off a phone, just not tight, pure or controlled bass.

The whole Z1R, Z7 and Z5 just love Trance, like they were made for it.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #4,613 of 5,804
Bass is always a matter of preference. To one member the amount would be considered giant, where another member the bass would be just big.

But it’s safe to say the Z5 running off enough juice is a gift from God with Trance.

Still just remember it will have bass off a phone, just not tight, pure or controlled bass.

The whole Z1R, Z7 and Z5 just love Trance, like they were made for it.
And why the phone? What Z5 bass is smeared no control no punch?

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #4,614 of 5,804
And why the phone? What Z5 bass is smeared no control no punch?

I think he means that if you feed the Z5 from a weak source like a phone you will not get what the Z5 is really capable off, it actually needs a fair bit of power to shine

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #4,616 of 5,804
71AA9742-E359-44AD-8614-D32C45E40CFE.jpeg
58524627-AAD3-4DB3-BBCE-3CBCDA6FD8F1.jpeg
To buy headphones for US $ 500 to the phone would be ridiculous and silly, for this there is a player.

Truly there are few rules. I never take my nice stuff out of the house. But for walks I did find a China made 3 BA IEM which uses a custom huge BA to get the same bass as the Z5. It’s not quite as clear as the Z5 and the Z5 could be looked at as really a more advanced IEM. Still this 3BA IEM works insanely good directly out of a six generation iPod. Also besides needing power, the Z5 has a few issues. Because it’s extending out out the center of your ear, and the IEM is vented, it offers very little sound blockage from outside. The other issue surrounds the cables it comes with; they don’t really work well but flop around and go out of place to further how the Z5 gets dislodged from placement to increase sound leakage in.

Don’t get me wrong I love the Z5 but it’s an at home IEM, for me. A lot of Sony fans use the Sony XBA-N3BP as they stay in place, offer the 4.4mm cable stock and block noise better.

http://musicen.qdc.com/Product/37.html
The qdc Anole V3 is a $500-$600 IEM, which I figure has been designed for phone use. It gets almost 80% of it’s quality from a phone, is made for outdoor noise suppression and stays in your ear.

It’s still not at the level of the Z5......but the bass it produces is.

The Z5 is nice from a phone, and could work, but it’s power hungry and does not open-up it’s soundstage or lowest bass without power. It loves the 4.4mm TRRRS output of the 1A and 1Z.

Mind you the Z5 is still a $700 IEM in certain parts of the world, of course they can be found on Amazon at times for $500.

If you read this thread you will find many who have researched different tips, purchased a powerful DAP and purchased aftermarket cables to bring the most out of their beloved Z5.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #4,618 of 5,804

Truly there are few rules. I never take my nice stuff out of the house. But for walks I did find a China made 3 BA IEM which uses a custom huge BA to get the same bass as the Z5. It’s not quite as clear as the Z5 and the Z5 could be looked at as really a more advanced IEM. Still this 3BA IEM works insanely good directly out of a six generation iPod. Also besides needing power, the Z5 has a few issues. Because it’s extending out out the center of your ear, and the IEM is vented, it offers very little sound blockage from outside. The other issue surrounds the cables it comes with; they don’t really work well but flop around and go out of place to further how the Z5 gets dislodged from placement to increase sound leakage in.

Don’t get me wrong I love the Z5 but it’s an at home IEM, for me. A lot of Sony fans use the Sony XBA-N3BP as they stay in place, offer the 4.4mm cable stock and block noise better.

http://musicen.qdc.com/Product/37.html
The qdc Anole V3 is a $500-$600 IEM, which I figure has been designed for phone use. It gets almost 80% of it’s quality from a phone, is made for outdoor noise suppression and stays in your ear.

It’s still not at the level of the Z5......but the bass it produces is.

The Z5 is nice from a phone, and could work, but it’s power hungry and does not open-up it’s soundstage or lowest bass without power. It loves the 4.4mm TRRRS output of the 1A and 1Z.

Mind you the Z5 is still a $700 IEM in certain parts of the world, of course they can be found on Amazon at times for $500.

If you read this thread you will find many who have researched different tips, purchased a powerful DAP and purchased aftermarket cables to bring the most out of their beloved Z5.
I use the Z5 with the balanced Sony upgrade cale out of my ZX300 and it is totally satisfying..... except for the design, which is a constant hassle for fit. If I could have the sound of the Z5 with the design/fit of my iBasso IT01 I'd have found perfection.
As 95% of my listening is at home I can tolerate it.

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #4,619 of 5,804
This is an authentic unboxing.

Plastic film on the outside of the box? I don’t remember. But I’m pretty sure Sony wraps all their stuff in clear wrap. My Z7s has clear wrap but only the top was opened as they were open-box.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #4,620 of 5,804
I use the Z5 with the balanced Sony upgrade cale out of my ZX300 and it is totally satisfying..... except for the design, which is a constant hassle for fit. If I could have the sound of the Z5 with the design/fit of my iBasso IT01 I'd have found perfection.
As 95% of my listening is at home I can tolerate it.

I’m pretty happy with Z5 using the MUC-M12NB1 cable and Sony Triple Comfort Tips. Love them for home use.

https://www.sony.com.tw/en/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-m12nb1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-EP-TC...-Tips-for-XBA-Z5-Headphones-etc-/391746924234

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back