Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jun 17, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #4,561 of 5,804
Using the MUC-M12NB1 with the Z5 I noticed there is alot of movement with the connection - which is just the design, not wear and tear.
Has anyone found a simple mod to prevent the movement? Perhaps tape around the black part of the cable connectors maybe?
The original upgrade Sony cable I had used the connectors with the locks, and it looks like the Kimber cable uses the locking connectors.
+1 for the Kimber cable.

Jun 17, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #4,562 of 5,804
Using the MUC-M12NB1 with the Z5 I noticed there is alot of movement with the connection - which is just the design, not wear and tear.
Has anyone found a simple mod to prevent the movement? Perhaps tape around the black part of the cable connectors maybe?
The original upgrade Sony cable I had used the connectors with the locks, and it looks like the Kimber cable uses the locking connectors.
+1 for the Kimber cable.

my kimber is a bait actually haha. i reterminated it immediately after i got the cable yesterday. the original connector is the same as the connector on the nb1. sorryy

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #4,563 of 5,804
VrM4lc9.jpg

all done. not sure to go on high gain or not though

After all the bad talk about high gain, how it introduces grain and decreased sound stage, I can never listen to it the same way again. You know what they say about naivety being bliss.

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #4,564 of 5,804
Jun 17, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #4,565 of 5,804
After all the bad talk about high gain, how it introduces grain and decreased sound stage, I can never listen to it the same way again. You know what they say about naivety being bliss.
Most of the impressions of high gain on the ZX300 thread are thumbs up.
I use it as I seem to require a bit of volume to enjoy my music, especially now with the Z5.

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #4,566 of 5,804
A Japanese cookie box, with cookies.

28C6FBDC-489F-4871-97AA-701ED62C6121.jpeg

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #4,567 of 5,804
@Redcarmoose ,where did you get the Pentaconn-to-Z5 cable? Thanks!!

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #4,568 of 5,804

Sony MUC-M12NB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn-MMCX

“The MUC-M12NB1 audio cable delivers high quality sound, reproducing the atmosphere of the original recording thanks to its Star Quad structure. Silver coated OFC is used, resulting in smooth high frequencies. Separate left and right ground conductors give a feeling of acoustic space and ensure tight bass sound.”

Went for it as it just looked better built than the Kimber next to it at Sony Flagship store Japan. Made in China though! Only $129.

My humble opinion:
Perfect length, sounds good.

http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-muc-m12nb1-balanced-standard-1-2m-headphone-cable-black.html
They sell em on EBay.
https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-m12nb1

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #4,569 of 5,804
Sony MUC-M12NB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn-MMCX

“The MUC-M12NB1 audio cable delivers high quality sound, reproducing the atmosphere of the original recording thanks to its Star Quad structure. Silver coated OFC is used, resulting in smooth high frequencies. Separate left and right ground conductors give a feeling of acoustic space and ensure tight bass sound.”

Went for it as it just looked better built than the Kimber next to it at Sony Flagship store Japan. Made in China though! Only $129.

My humble opinion:
Perfect length, sounds good.

http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-muc-m12nb1-balanced-standard-1-2m-headphone-cable-black.html
They sell em on EBay.
https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-m12nb1
I understand that they don't have the lock design of the original cable (and unbalanced upgrade cable), but don't you find the fit quite loose? There is quite a lot of sideways movement with mine

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #4,570 of 5,804
I understand that they don't have the lock design of the original cable (and unbalanced upgrade cable), but don't you find the fit quite loose? There is quite a lot of sideways movement with mine

Mine fits fine, no wiggle.

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #4,571 of 5,804

Sony does not make a Pentaconn balance cable or a 4.4mm balance cable with lock for the A3/Z5 line. I made one myself using a MUCM20BL1 with a Pentaconn 4.4mm jack. That said. I also have a Sony Kimber 4.4mm balance cable without lock and I have no problem using it on my Z5 which is what I'm doing now and I use the MUCM20BL1/pentacoon on my A3 at the office.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #4,573 of 5,804
I bought the triple comfort tips and sadly I had to buy a different size because of fitment issues. I first bought the medium as that is what I use for the hybrid tips, but most times I use the jvc spiral dots in ML and the triple comforts are a bit too small. So I bought and am awaiting triple comfort tips in large which should arrive early next week. I hope that they are not too big. I usually have problems with tips that come in S, M, and L. They are really expensive and if both don't fit right, I guess I'll give them to a friend. I normally wouldn't blow so much on tips, but I've read how good they are here on head fi and on other sites so I really hope the large will work for me.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #4,574 of 5,804
I bought the triple comfort tips and sadly I had to buy a different size because of fitment issues. I first bought the medium as that is what I use for the hybrid tips, but most times I use the jvc spiral dots in ML and the triple comforts are a bit too small. So I bought and am awaiting triple comfort tips in large which should arrive early next week. I hope that they are not too big. I usually have problems with tips that come in S, M, and L. They are really expensive and if both don't fit right, I guess I'll give them to a friend. I normally wouldn't blow so much on tips, but I've read how good they are here on head fi and on other sites so I really hope the large will work for me.
I ended buying comply foam tips the comfort series TS200, and got a free pack because the promo of 4th July with a free pack of the same tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back