Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Apr 21, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #4,501 of 5,804
Just to share, my paint also peeled after about a year of use even though I kept it back into its carrying case everytime after use. I am not sure what causes this, maybe my ear was that acidic?:beyersmile:

Anyway, my local Sony was nice enough to exchange it with a new pair. Ever since then I use it rarely yet it still starting to show sign of paint peel after one year inside it's own case...maybe it's the humidity?

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #4,503 of 5,804
It's a pity about the cosmetic damage, I know the magnesium body adds to the sound benefits, but my metallic plastic A3 have barely a scratch after 2+ years

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #4,504 of 5,804
8714C3C1-5DAA-429F-9C8D-01E1A5285574.png
Anyway.......anyone interested in new MMCX stock cable change-outs.

Sony MUC-M12NB1 4.4mm Pentaconn-MMCX
https://www.amazon.co.jp/ソニー-SONY-ヘッドホンケーブル-バランス接続対応-MUC-M12NB1/dp/B071WWFG1K

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #4,505 of 5,804
Mine are always in their case but not like one in each pocket, so both n the same pocket, never been dropped or anything, but yeah i use them for 8 to 10 h straight at the job

May 4, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #4,506 of 5,804
May 5, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #4,508 of 5,804
May 5, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #4,509 of 5,804
https://www.sony.co.jp/Products/justear/x
Very cool to see, also they added the new Just-Ear to the compatible earphones! Would be cool to see if they changed the wire a little. Also nice dock! :p

Yes, I could see the Just-Ear in the case, but the price and six week turn around....didn't fit my visit schedule. They have been shown a little in show reports at Head-Fi, but no reviews?

The cable was a nice change from the stock Z5 cable in ergonomics. I had heard people complaining a little about the Kimber Z5 cable build quality that came before. Though the MUC-M12MB1 is pretty nice, not that expensive, a really nice feel and bend-ability! As far as sound goes, I'm not one to judge yet, as I have been listening to other stuff which has screwed up my ability to judge the cable sound quality in comparison to the Mee adapter cable I used before? But I guess generally it sounds pretty good.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #4,510 of 5,804
I have the MUC-M12NB1 cable and was considering a new cable, partly because everything in my kit is BLACK, I thought a sexy twisted copper/silver number might break it up a bit.
My budget would be about US$150ish - I was wondering if I could get an improvement in cable quality going for something from Effect Audio or PW Audio or..... I'm open to suggestions please.
I know the Sony upgrade cables are an improvement over the stock, but was wondering how much the name 'Sony' adds to the price and for similar money I could get a better grade cable.

May 8, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #4,511 of 5,804
Though the MUC-M12MB1 says made in China, it’s pretty sexy. Though I have no experience with other choices other than the Mee adapter cable. Strangely too, you don’t see Sony offering the MUC-M12MB1 anywhere for sale outside of Japan? Did you order yours from Japan?

One reason I chose it was in retaliation to the negativity about the Kimber cable build quality in contrast to the price they charge for it.

But I have to say I’m pretty happy with the build and sound so far. The MUC-M12MB1 is the perfect size and works great ergonomically.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #4,512 of 5,804
Though the MUC-M12MB1 says made in China, it’s pretty sexy. Though I have no experience with other choices other than the Mee adapter cable. Strangely too, you don’t see Sony offering the MUC-M12MB1 anywhere for sale outside of Japan? Did you order yours from Japan?

One reason I chose it was in retaliation to the negativity about the Kimber cable build quality in contrast to the price they charge for it.
I bought mine when I was in Japan, the Kimber one was way over my budget, but I have also heard some negative things against it anyway.
I don't have any experience with cables other than this one - I am happy with the step up from stock and with the quality of the build, but because of the nylon cable cover I was concerned of wear over time, and as I said I wondered if I could squeeze a bit of extra quality out for similar money and introduce a visually appealing non-black cable to my kit. Flog me for wanting some pretty.

May 19, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #4,513 of 5,804
So after lurking here for a while and gleaning as much info and thoughts as I could I decided to grab some Z5's off Accessoryjack for my new ZX300. I also bought the Null Audio Arete cable.

The early playing of this combo was quite 'dry' and pretty unexciting to be honest. I only had a few hours on the ZX300 so I left the combo playing continuously for a few charges and Im now up to around 150 hours on the device. Im very happy with the change! My ear canals are obviously quite small so it did take quite a while to find good comfort and fit but I finally got a good seal with the SS size hybrids. They are seated quite deep so I dont look too strange with them sticking out on me. In this position they sound fantastic and after a minute or two I cant feel any discomfort from them.

The Z5's have a full sound and nice tight and full bass. On some tracks the vocals can sound a little recessed so I have a mid range equalizer dialled in. i listen to everything from DSF to Flac to 320kps and they all sound terrific. Im a bit fussy with sound so I sometimes utilize the ZX's inbuilt sound enhancers and I always get a good sound eventually. Its a shame some great albums are recorded so poorly.

The sound and space is just superb. Ive read some consider the Z5's as good as full sized phones and Id agree if you consider price. If you go up much higher in price you can obviously get better still in overheads though.

I still have a little way to go to get to Sonys recommended 200 hours so Im looking forward to seeing how this combo ends up. Im already very happy though. Also the Null Audio cable is very nice. A lovely weight etc and generally well built. My only gripe is the cable comes out crooked from the 4.4mm balanced plug. Wouldnt have taken much to fix the sleeving for me when produced.

Anyway, all components are highly recommended :smile_phones:

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #4,514 of 5,804
I’m looking for IEMs that let me hear my surroundings. Since these are vented, would they allow me to hear what’s going on around me similar to an open headphone like the HD650? This is the main reason I don’t use the XBA-N3 when walking my dog!

May 20, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #4,515 of 5,804
I’m looking for IEMs that let me hear my surroundings. Since these are vented, would they allow me to hear what’s going on around me similar to an open headphone like the HD650? This is the main reason I don’t use the XBA-N3 when walking my dog!
Yes they will let hear your surroundings. F.e I can hear my neighbor's dog barking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back