Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Mar 12, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #4,471 of 5,804
I am assuming that you are referring to the standard Sony Upgrade Cable MUC-M12SM1 and not the Kimber Kable (which is 3 times the price of MUC-M12SM1)?

You probably can't find a brand new MUC-M12SM1 as it has been discontinued. The new version (MUC-M12SM2) is just as good with same built quality but with a more generic MMCX connector (without the Sony locking notch) and I am using it with my SE846. The first version will not fit other IEM well with the Sony locking notch.

Cost is subjective though as I have seen customised cables from Plussound/Toxic/Wagnus costing double to 10 times more for those exotic materials.

You should check out EX1000. Not saying that it is better than Z5 or worse off - I believe all the TOTL IEMs all sound good, but if anyone is buying 2 IEMs of the same, it is probably worth having a Z5 and a EX1000. Some users swear by EX1000 as the best dynamic IEM ever made.

Heard both, they are both good yet different. Sold my Z5 after having a few different IEMs, and if I were to go back to Sony, it will probably be either EX1000 or if Sony introduce a Z5 Mk2.

The Sony cable is way too expensive unless you buy used and even that is almost as much as it was new a few years ago. They must be really scarce right now.

A friend might pick up the ex1000 so I'm hoping he does so I can borrow it for the weekend and check it out for myself.

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #4,472 of 5,804
I think that the Sony cable when compared to other brands (excluding Aliexpress etc) is reasonably priced. It is well made, doesn't fray easily, and gives nice sound improvements over the stock cables.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #4,474 of 5,804
Well. I just got this cable from Lunashops. Oh man I gotta say fellas this cable is a steal of a deal considering how much Sonys Kimber cables are. I am gonna go out on a limb and say I am willing to bet these cables make the Z5 sing just as good. I am listening to my Z5 using this cable and it sounds spectacular. It is exactly the cable I was looking for... And it didn't cost me $250.

16-31214mh-x-2.jpg
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5465 According to Lunashops. They are using pure silver wire with high purity copper wire for this cable. Very transparent and perfect for the Z5

Highly recommended. No housing movement either due to the proper slotted connectors.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #4,475 of 5,804
Well. I just got this cable from Lunashops. Oh man I gotta say fellas this cable is a steal of a deal considering how much Sonys Kimber cables are. I am gonna go out on a limb and say I am willing to bet these cables make the Z5 sing just as good. I am listening to my Z5 using this cable and it sounds spectacular. It is exactly the cable I was looking for... And it didn't cost me $250.

16-31214mh-x-2.jpg
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5465 According to Lunashops. They are using pure silver wire with high purity copper wire for this cable. Very transparent and perfect for the Z5

Highly recommended. No housing movement either due to the proper slotted connectors.
The floodgates have opened on them!
https://m.ebay.com/itm/4-4mm-Upgrad...Shure-MMCX-Connectors-Universal-/182918214990

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B2Q5J9D/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SKV2YZ/ref=sspa_mw_detail_4?psc=1

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #4,476 of 5,804
Im about to get a ZX-300 player. Ive narrowed down some IEM's to the Z5's or the Earsonics ES2 or ES3. They sound like they have a close signature (warm, good bass etc). Has anyone done a simlar deliberation between these 2 scenarios and formed an opinion?

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #4,477 of 5,804
It is probably better if you are able to find a store to do your own audition.

While you may be reading different reviews, the difference between IEMs is very subtle (if it is even audible to some) and even more difficult to differentiate in sound for DAP.

I have a colleague who feels the iPhone earphone sounds better than the Z5, while another found the B&O H3 sounds better (he is using the noise cancelling function). Not indicating that these IEMs sounds better than Z5 or the other way round, but we all have different hearing preference. Only you can decide which is better to your ears.

Im about to get a ZX-300 player. Ive narrowed down some IEM's to the Z5's or the Earsonics ES2 or ES3. They sound like they have a close signature (warm, good bass etc). Has anyone done a simlar deliberation between these 2 scenarios and formed an opinion?

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #4,478 of 5,804
It is probably better if you are able to find a store to do your own audition.

While you may be reading different reviews, the difference between IEMs is very subtle (if it is even audible to some) and even more difficult to differentiate in sound for DAP.

I have a colleague who feels the iPhone earphone sounds better than the Z5, while another found the B&O H3 sounds better (he is using the noise cancelling function). Not indicating that these IEMs sounds better than Z5 or the other way round, but we all have different hearing preference. Only you can decide which is better to your ears.
Very true. Unfortunate for people in a country with very few options that you can't even try.

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #4,483 of 5,804
Can anyone whos used their Z5s for a long time post some pictures? Im having a paint chipping problem. not on the actual metal plates, but on the plastic section between the plates where the nozzle comes out of. Time is not being kind to my beloved Z5s..
It seems really common, I was looking for a secondhand pair and almost every pair I've seen have paint peeling - not really good enough for the price you pay for them new, it kind of takes the polish off your premium earphones (excuse the pun). This quality issue and the awkward fit/design have me considering other options. Surely Sony are due for a mark ii model that will address these details

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #4,484 of 5,804
Can anyone whos used their Z5s for a long time post some pictures? Im having a paint chipping problem. not on the actual metal plates, but on the plastic section between the plates where the nozzle comes out of. Time is not being kind to my beloved Z5s..
Same for mine on the actual metal part but just a tiny bit

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #4,485 of 5,804
It seems really common, I was looking for a secondhand pair and almost every pair I've seen have paint peeling - not really good enough for the price you pay for them new, it kind of takes the polish off your premium earphones (excuse the pun). This quality issue and the awkward fit/design have me considering other options. Surely Sony are due for a mark ii model that will address these details
If sony releases a MK II i would buy them too and keep the Z5s as well, perhaps get a 2nd pair of Z5 as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back