Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jun 3, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #4,531 of 5,804
balanced. i have a PlusSound Exo terminated with 4.4mm at home. but the normal mmcx is able to fit the z5 right? coz i heard that it does need a special mmcx with a lock or something.

I use the Sony Kimber without locking tap or bent and it works fine. I also have a Sony MUC-M20BL1 with locking taps that I re-terminated into a 4.4 pentaconn that I use but those are hard to find now.

Jun 3, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #4,532 of 5,804
YBnxguy.jpg

this is my cable. but that is a pre bend right?

Your cable should work for running the wire over your ear.

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #4,534 of 5,804
where did you got those? comfort tips

A full set comes with the Sony XBA-N3BP 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced IEM.

Though they are for sale separate. The Hybrids work for me super well, but at times with one or two IEMs the giant wall of the Triple’s gives an extra level of support due to the stiffness.

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #4,536 of 5,804
Unfortunately, they are extremely hard to get out of Japan. You either pay a premium on ebay or use a Japanese buying/shipping service like Buyee through Amazon Japan.

Hopefully they will become an item easy to purchase. Though Sony does have a habit of only releasing stuff at home. The cradle for the 1A/1Z and the remote are Japan Only. I would not make a big deal about these tips except that if a person takes the stock cables off, that even when wearing them with aftermarket cables down, they benefit from more structure in the IEM tip.

I probably really look like a Sony fan......but in the end, and after trying a bunch of tips the Triple Comfort and Hybrids are my favorite tips. The tips simply make my IEMs sound good.

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #4,537 of 5,804
Hopefully they will become an item easy to purchase. Though Sony does have a habit of only releasing stuff at home. The cradle for the 1A/1Z and the remote are Japan Only. I would not make a big deal about these tips except that if a person takes the stock cables off, that even when wearing them with aftermarket cables down, they benefit from more structure in the IEM tip.

I probably really look like a Sony fan......but in the end, and after trying a bunch of tips the Triple Comfort and Hybrids are my favorite tips. The tips simply make my IEMs sound good.

They were introduced with the N3 almost 2 years ago and I have yet to see it at retail out of Asia. Other than the the side that I got with my N3, All my others were either through ebay or Buyee.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #4,539 of 5,804
anyway, i have pull the ultimate trigger to get the z5 ytd. Waiting for the shipment now. hope i will like it though haha :wink:

The Z5 is an amazing IEM. Probably the fact that it is both exciting and reserved makes it soo charming. I listen to mostly EDM and Metal, so it does both in flying colors. Though maybe the best feature is they do all genres well. If you read a bunch of reviews, folks always call them well rounded. Enjoy!

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #4,540 of 5,804
The Z5 is an amazing IEM. Probably the fact that it is both exciting and reserved makes it soo charming. I listen to mostly EDM and Metal, so it does both in flying colors. Though maybe the best feature is they do all genres well. If you read a bunch of reviews, folks always call them well rounded. Enjoy!

Thanks. Im worried because many in the exk thread recommended exk over z5 and in this thread is z5 over exk.......

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #4,541 of 5,804
Well there is a lot of judgment on the Z5. I have not heard a ton of IEMs so I’m no expert. But for the price range it’s in and what it can be purchased for in 2018, my limited understanding tells me it’s still pretty good.

But I instantly liked it when I first tried it. I was playing the Z5 with stock cables from my phone and thought....yes, this is my preferred sound signature. It only became better with added stuff.

But, yes......laughable as it is, we still get members trolling this thread, trying to remind us they are not the best IEM in the world. Haha!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #4,542 of 5,804
Thanks. Im worried because many in the exk thread recommended exk over z5 and in this thread is z5 over exk.......
You will not regret it, I love mine (I listen to classics and i tought huge uncontrolled bass boom but it is not the case)

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #4,543 of 5,804
I love my Z5's and I seem to get the best sound for me from the Sony hybrid tips it came with. The foam filled ones just sounded bad to me. I bought a couple of sizes of JVC Spiral Dots in from Japan to try also but I wasn't particularly thrilled with them. They seemed to be too 'neutral' and lost a lot of the Z5's sound signature to me, everything just sort of flattened out and got a bit shouty.
Today I bought a pair, in my size, of the newer Triple Comfort tips off someone that wouldn't have used them. What a different sound they produce! They give the sound even more heft and fills out the bass and sub bass in a different way again. The sound is just more 'full' over the hybrids and I had to turn the ZX300 down somewhat when using them. As a bonus you get even more sound isolation too.... I went back to the hybrids and they sounded timid in comparison. I think Ill run the Triple's moving forward (for now anyway) :)

Jun 6, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #4,544 of 5,804
I love my Z5's and I seem to get the best sound for me from the Sony hybrid tips it came with. The foam filled ones just sounded bad to me. I bought a couple of sizes of JVC Spiral Dots in from Japan to try also but I wasn't particularly thrilled with them. They seemed to be too 'neutral' and lost a lot of the Z5's sound signature to me, everything just sort of flattened out and got a bit shouty.
Today I bought a pair, in my size, of the newer Triple Comfort tips off someone that wouldn't have used them. What a different sound they produce! They give the sound even more heft and fills out the bass and sub bass in a different way again. The sound is just more 'full' over the hybrids and I had to turn the ZX300 down somewhat when using them. As a bonus you get even more sound isolation too.... I went back to the hybrids and they sounded timid in comparison. I think Ill run the Triple's moving forward (for now anyway) :)

Yes! Well.......... that’s why I brought the Triple Comfort Tips to light in this thread. Call it coincidence or whatever..........maybe great Sony technology, but they really do sound good. They fit the Z5 perfect and enhance the sound signature. It’s a sound with more isolation (which was needed) and more heft! They have overcome a slight issue with the sides possibly being too thin with the hybrids? In ways they are the opposite of the hybrids. But they also hold the Z5 in place better. We have to come to terms with the fact that the Z5 is heavy and thick and sticks out from the center of your ear. The Z5 does not lay against your ear like some IEMs. So the Triple Comforts actually hold the Z5 in place center and firm. It’s doing what those original cables were trying to do. IMO

They are worth any amount of money (to a point) for the solution they bring.

The foam filled tips have never fit me either.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #4,545 of 5,804
Well there is a lot of judgment on the Z5. I have not heard a ton of IEMs so I’m no expert. But for the price range it’s in and what it can be purchased for in 2018, my limited understanding tells me it’s still pretty good.

But I instantly liked it when I first tried it. I was playing the Z5 with stock cables from my phone and thought....yes, this is my preferred sound signature. It only became better with added stuff.

But, yes......laughable as it is, we still get members trolling this thread, trying to remind us they are not the best IEM in the world. Haha!

You will not regret it, I love mine (I listen to classics and i tought huge uncontrolled bass boom but it is not the case)

my z5 just arrived today. i find the sound is fuller and cleaner when using the stock cable. the plussound cable made it too warm, while i have another spc cable made the bass not as tight, and it sounds weird. but anyway, it really sounds very balanced with zx300 on se. i alrdy loving it. ps. 2 usb in ear really looks damn weird

Users who are viewing this thread

Back