Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Apr 2, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #4,486 of 5,804
It seems really common, I was looking for a secondhand pair and almost every pair I've seen have paint peeling - not really good enough for the price you pay for them new, it kind of takes the polish off your premium earphones (excuse the pun). This quality issue and the awkward fit/design have me considering other options. Surely Sony are due for a mark ii model that will address these details
Can anyone whos used their Z5s for a long time post some pictures? Im having a paint chipping problem. not on the actual metal plates, but on the plastic section between the plates where the nozzle comes out of. Time is not being kind to my beloved Z5s..
I’ve had mine for 3 years + and mine don’t show signs of chipping paint. The white parts are starting to rub away though.
EDC95F25-B115-42E9-8495-F140CDEA69C9.jpeg

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #4,488 of 5,804
I’ve had mine for 3 years + and mine don’t show signs of chipping paint. The white parts are starting to rub away though.

You seem to have a very well-painted z5. :)

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #4,489 of 5,804
You seem to have a very well-painted z5. :)
I've always used the case that Sony gave, with these. Not that I'm so precious about them. Maybe it's because I'm the only one who loves those rubbery ear guides! Maybe it's those rubbery parts that have kept them from scraping against each other! Who knows. I reterminated the included balanced cable to a 2.5mm and it sounds great. In my opinion, not really a need to upgrade there.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #4,490 of 5,804
I've always used the case that Sony gave, with these. Not that I'm so precious about them. Maybe it's because I'm the only one who loves those rubbery ear guides! Maybe it's those rubbery parts that have kept them from scraping against each other! Who knows. I reterminated the included balanced cable to a 2.5mm and it sounds great. In my opinion, not really a need to upgrade there.

I used to care so much for my z5 until I found a paint chip. Realized it wass inevitable so I decided not to care with it and just use them when I want to enjoy music. Sadly, I have to sell it after a year of owning them to try other iems.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #4,491 of 5,804
I'm wondering what Sony is up to in the earphone department recently.
2-3 years ago when I was in Japan they had the XBA-A1/A2/A3/300/Z5, then the following year the N1/N3 came out, and recently they have only added the balanced cable to the N3. Sure they have the high end custom, Japan only iems, and the Z5 can still be found in the electronic stores over there, but I feel there is a big gap.Usually companies are proudly announcing new ranges every 6 months to a year - no rumours, nothing.

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #4,496 of 5,804
The carry case that Sony provided with the Z5. It is a bit bulky but carrying the Z5 inside the case with one IEM in each pocket will protect the paint.

https://imgur.com/a/shnoZ
shnoZ
Thank you for the photo, now I know what it is talking.
Could you show in the picture? in what condition do you still have the headphones.:)

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #4,499 of 5,804
in the first photo I see a defect in the corners, perhaps I am mistaken.

I would not be surprised if you can find some small scratches as While I do try to put them back in the carrying case after use, at times I may just have them in my pocket if I was just taking them off for a short time. All I'm saying is that with proper care, your Z5 should still look much better than gerelmx1986's.

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #4,500 of 5,804
I would not be surprised if you can find some small scratches as While I do try to put them back in the carrying case after use, at times I may just have them in my pocket if I was just taking them off for a short time. All I'm saying is that with proper care, your Z5 should still look much better than gerelmx1986's.
Yes, they look much better in 2 years of use, and I see you have the paint well-preserved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back