Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jun 20, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,982 of 5,810
Did anyone hear both Sennheiser IE80 and Z5? How do they compare:

-Does Z5 have bigger soundstage (IE80 has massive)?
-Does it have more lower sub bass (that feel more than punch)?
-How is mid bass (IE80 are a bit bloated and veiled, at ~150 Hz)?
-How does highs compare since from what I understood both are somewhat bright but not sibilant?

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #1,983 of 5,810
  Well, I got the SONY MUC-M1BT1 Bluetooth cable today for my A3. I too was concern if they will have enough power to drive the A3 with on-board power alone. I'm quite surprised by the result. This unit can get pretty loud. I'm playing at half volume on the iPhone 6 with the BT unit at Max or I can run the BT unit at half volume and the iPhone 6 at max. Compare to a off-board DAC/AMP, the BT unit was able to drive the A3 at about the same volume as 2/3 max (2 o'clock position) on a Teac HA-P50 at low gain (which is louder than that I can listen to for long period as I usually listen at about the 10-11 o'clock position). I'll write about if there is a noticeable quality difference later as I need to spend some time with the unit between corded to phone, corded to Teac and the BT cable.

Could you describe your experience with this bluetooth cable in terms sound quality, ease of use and comfort, as well as your personal impression of whether it is worth almost $200. Thanks.

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #1,984 of 5,810
How myc
  The ear hooks/connectors is my only complaint about the Z5's...  I am actually pleasantly surprised.  I totally expected the Z5 to be purely temporary while I spent a couple months auditioning other IEMs (I have a good friend who loves Sony products religiously, and he would've bought the Z5's from me at my cost if I decided to move on).  I was a bit confused by the Z5 at first, but after a month & probably 100 hours on them, I am surprisingly going to stay w/ the Z5.

My expectation was that I'd spend a great deal more money for something like the K10-U (I'm not interested in getting customs).  My portable rig is expensive enough.  I'm more than fine with not feeling the need to pay double the MSRP of the Z5 for new IEMs.

How this is uncomfortable, are they uncomfortable to the point that i should buy the little downgraded A2 version so i could have a near Quality without ear hooks?? Do they need a lot of adjustments? Does the Ear hooks don't allow good fitting?, I'm sorry but i'm really worried about the fitting cause i have no options to try them on and i'm going to buy and ship it overseas so if they are not comfortable i have no option to return it!

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,985 of 5,810
  I'm caught in between FiiO E12A and Cayin C5 for quite a while still don't know which one is better i would like an amp that can bringout more details/vocals and tighten the bass in my A3.

You better consider the E18 to have best of the two worlds, AMP+DAC, i'm considering it seriously but i didn't purhcase the A3 yet! still worried about those earhooks, Do you think they are comfortable on the go for outdoors, you know when you are putting them on and off every while?

Jun 22, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,986 of 5,810
Now that I am used to the ear hook design I find them at least as secure as most IEM and much more comfortable. I also can flip them in and out at will with no effort or concentration. I should state I pop my Z5 out of my ears but leave them dangling on my ears by the hook. I sacrifice looking silly to be able to quickly adapt to different needs.

Jun 22, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #1,988 of 5,810
By the way there is almost no cable noise with H3 and Z5 but there us some with A2.
+2 almost zero cable noise best I have ever used.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #1,989 of 5,810
A few minutes ago I was jammin' to some Black Crowes Remedy and noticed my poor ol' 535's sitting there all lonely and thought what the hell. It's the first time they have been in my ears since the Z5 arrived.  I guess that old saying is true and you can't ever go back.  The destruction was worse than I first thought.  To my new ears the Shure's, a $500 retail IEM, were just god awful.  The front to back transparency of the Z5 with the PHA 3 is astonishing.  With the Shure's the center of the soundstage is just a muddled mess.  When I put in the Shure's it's like the top and bottom of the music just went missing.  I guess sometimes that you really don't know what you have until it's gone.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #1,990 of 5,810
  A few minutes ago I was jammin' to some Black Crowes Remedy and noticed my poor ol' 535's sitting there all lonely and thought what the hell. It's the first time they have been in my ears since the Z5 arrived.  I guess that old saying is true and you can't ever go back.  The destruction was worse than I first thought.  To my new ears the Shure's, a $500 retail IEM, were just god awful.  The front to back transparency of the Z5 with the PHA 3 is astonishing.  With the Shure's the center of the soundstage is just a muddled mess.  When I put in the Shure's it's like the top and bottom of the music just went missing.  I guess sometimes that you really don't know what you have until it's gone.

Back in 2006 the 530 was the IEM. All the other earphones were well not even close. In 2006 the 530 has great low end and clear smooth Treble with a beautiful Mid. Things have changed since then and yes going from the Z5 to the 530 or 535 is a huge step down. Even going from the Z5 to almost all Balance Armature IEMs is now a step down.

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #1,991 of 5,810
Walking to the train on a windy day in rush hour traffic and I still prefer the Z5 over my more isolating and less wind affected IEM's. Even on the train I still prefer the Z5.

Particularly haunting song Timbuktu by Holly Cole made the walk memorable. Jazz though the Z5 is specially good.

For fun have a listen to Zombie by Nelly McKay. The back ground vocals and the classic jazz Drum kit work is a blast and shows off what makes the Z5 so special.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #1,992 of 5,810
Just bought one for $528.99 on amazon. Gonna compare it to the velvets. I might at the A3s too.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #1,993 of 5,810
  Just bought one for $528.99 on amazon. Gonna compare it to the velvets. I might at the A3s too.

I'm interested in your thoughts/opinion on Velvets vs Z5.
What dap or gear will you be using for this comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back