Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #4,201 of 9,634
Based on your requirement I recommend the hd800s, but If you can lose a little detail and soundstage please do consider the z1r.

The z1r has great detail and soundstage and the hd800s is only subtly better in these aspects in my opinion and with the z1r bass the music sound fuller and more impactful. I have both and I rarely pick up the hd800s these days.
I already own an HD800S, love the headphone but it can get fatiguing, especially on poorly recorded old hip hop tracks.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #4,202 of 9,634
Based on your requirement I recommend the hd800s, but If you can lose a little detail and soundstage please do consider the z1r.
The z1r has great detail and soundstage and the hd800s is only subtly better in these aspects in my opinion and with the z1r bass the music sound fuller and more impactful. I have both and I rarely pick up the hd800s these days.

One cannot recommend the Z1R over the HD800* or vice versa. It cannot be done.
That's the only reason I've kept these two annoying bastards this long. Both heavily flawed, both amazing. These two complement perfectly. I've been saying this since the Utopia rage days years ago. Juicy, luscious full body sound vs super precise, airy, sharp holographic positioned thin accuracy. How can you pick between a tasty juicy fat grass-fed ribeye and a delicate sashimi? [or whatever comparison suits your palate/ethics] - you cannot.

There's no one-in-all solution in earaudio. It's the only thing I've learned since I joined - which is a really bloody annoying conclusion for anyone looking for a conclusion... So the problem with this approach is that it requires the purchase of two units to use as one, which is considerably inconvenient, both in ergonomics and cost-wise.

I suppose that's why I'm still around looking for the perfect solution (many claimed to be it, but turned out to be flops). There's still hope... there's always something better just out there. Can't wait to hear the suggestions.

Capture.PNG

* meant the 800 and not 800S here. Bought both and prefer the 800 by far, with the bonus of being cheaper. 6 kHz is sweet to my ears - Not a popular opinion, so fine print.

Attachments

• 20170316_033143-01.jpeg
    20170316_033143-01.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #4,206 of 9,634
The Z1R is not listed anymore on any of the European Amazon sites. Also very few other EU based shops have any stock.

Is Sony discontinuing them or is it just a matter of temporary stock issues?

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #4,207 of 9,634
The Z1R is not listed anymore on any of the European Amazon sites. Also very few other EU based shops have any stock.

Is Sony discontinuing them or is it just a matter of temporary stock issues?

it is on Amazon UK with 15 in stock and more on the way

4E35E4B1-B9EA-43B1-8792-A704222879BB.png

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #4,208 of 9,634
it is on Amazon UK with 15 in stock and more on the way

Thanks! So weird... hagglezon didn't see them. And I only double-checked amazon.de which happens to indeed to list them.

upload_2020-1-18_13-31-3.png

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #4,209 of 9,634
have you compared ier z1r to mdr z1r?

with the feedback reporting pronounced bass response and how this works or may not work with various types of music can anyone give some detail how the sony mdr z1r handles classical/jazz? extra bass on jazz/classical feels strange.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #4,210 of 9,634
That's the only reason I've kept these two annoying bastards this long. Both heavily flawed, both amazing. These two complement perfectly. I've been saying this since the Utopia rage days years ago. Juicy, luscious full body sound vs super precise, airy, sharp holographic positioned thin accuracy. How can you pick between a tasty juicy fat grass-fed ribeye and a delicate sashimi? [or whatever comparison suits your palate/ethics] - you cannot.

There's no one-in-all solution in earaudio. It's the only thing I've learned since I joined - which is a really bloody annoying conclusion for anyone looking for a conclusion... So the problem with this approach is that it requires the purchase of two units to use as one, which is considerably inconvenient, both in ergonomics and cost-wise.

I suppose that's why I'm still around looking for the perfect solution (many claimed to be it, but turned out to be flops). There's still hope... there's always something better just out there. Can't wait to hear the suggestions.

* meant the 800 and not 800S here. Bought both and prefer the 800 by far, with the bonus of being cheaper. 6 kHz is sweet to my ears - Not a popular opinion, so fine print.
What headphone stand are you using?

Jan 24, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #4,211 of 9,634
Jan 24, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #4,212 of 9,634

If you forget about the out-of-box sound.

A modern ultra low distortion planar can play both roles after EQing back and forth.

The dynamic driver decay can also be added from a DAC chip's filter.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #4,214 of 9,634
Anyone successfully altered the clamping force on these?

I actually want to increase clamp, but image same method applies both ways. Don't want to be snappin' anything.
I would love to increase the clamp force, i squeezed the band shortly after buying as i cannot move without them slipping off my head, never had this issue with any other phones. I have Z7's and they are a perfect fit. Also the pads, whilst soo comfortable, are too soft, allowing my right ear to touch the driver!
Has anyone done a pad mod ?

Jan 29, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #4,215 of 9,634
I thought I read in this thread recently that you can bend the headband to get better clamping force. It’s a very “memory” headband, but I don’t think you can break it if you bend it tighter.
@ kefs: maybe make the balance of your headband a bit looser on your bad side and a click or two tighter on the better side. Won’t look balanced to a critic!, but might help for your use.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back