Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 11, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #7,576 of 9,645
NC8000, How's that iBasso DC04 holding up over time? I am interested in this device to pair with my Z1R for portable use. Altho, online reviews have casted a bit of doubt in me when it comes to the Hardware QC.
I haven’t used it enough to have an opinion about that, I mostly use my dap’s and only have this in case I don’t want a dap with me

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #7,577 of 9,645
Wanted to ask, in terms of Amp/dac pairing, does the Z1R benefit from a complete neutral amp/dac since the Z1R has a distinct sound signature, what would be the best choice for amp/dac for this headphone? neutral? or warm? I am still looking for a portable solution for this cans, I would like a dongle/dac of some kind, or even the hipdac or Q3.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #7,579 of 9,645
I have an Kimber Axios cable coming for my Z1R's today. I'm super excited to pair the two.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #7,580 of 9,645
Wanted to ask, in terms of Amp/dac pairing, does the Z1R benefit from a complete neutral amp/dac since the Z1R has a distinct sound signature, what would be the best choice for amp/dac for this headphone? neutral? or warm? I am still looking for a portable solution for this cans, I would like a dongle/dac of some kind, or even the hipdac or Q3.

IME is neutral, the Z1R can be really bassy at times, hiding details in a bass mist. I pair them with the Sony WM1A.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #7,581 of 9,645
My favorite with the Z1r is the ZH1ES. Absolutely sublime. I have also compared the WM1A and WM1Z with it and like the 1Z more even though it is the warmer sounding of the two.
ZH1ES beats the WM1Z, same type of sound, just a tad more dynamic out of the big one.

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #7,582 of 9,645
Oct 12, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #7,583 of 9,645
Just tossed a grenade you way :D

I’ve seen this review and my hearing tells me differently. In my setup, I can hear audible differences in cables. Especially between silver and copper ones. Head-fi is probably the only hobby where measurements don’t hold a ton of weight in my decison making. My ears hold the majority rule in determining whether something sounds good or not. I put little value in measurements, but that’s just me.

The Sony stock cable is horrible. To me, it makes the treble region sound unnatural and strident. A good all copper or all silver cable fixes this.

Oct 12, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #7,584 of 9,645
Hey guys,

So, I just joined the club today.. And my first thought is simply “wow…” As a part-time basshead, it has been difficult to find headphones that really punch and pound the way a sub would when the music calls for it. I’ve made my way to the top of the line with all the big names, and to be sure, I definitely found some big winners that I love, but I was astonished when i heard the immense, visceral bass response the Z1R is capable of. At a retail price of $1999, sale price of $1799, and used price of $1100-1400, I personally think that this headphone is not to be missed, especially if you value your bass or listen to music that depends on it.

:beerchug:

Special thanks to @Slim1970 for the suggestion!

Oct 12, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #7,585 of 9,645
I’ve seen this review and my hearing tells me differently. In my setup, I can hear audible differences in cables. Especially between silver and copper ones. Head-fi is probably the only hobby where measurements don’t hold a ton of weight in my decison making. My ears hold the majority rule in determining whether something sounds good or not. I put little value in measurements, but that’s just me.

The Sony stock cable is horrible. To me, it makes the treble region sound unnatural and strident. A good all copper or all silver cable fixes this.
If a tree falls over in a forest and he's not able to measure it....

I find it peculiar that they seem to listen mostly with their eyes almost shutting off their ears. I believe that technology cannot match the complexity of the human ear and that at times, in some situations we can perceive more than a machine. Personally I have experienced improvements with cables, and that was coming from being in Japan and having the upgrade cable available to demo and not wanting to spend more money than trying to justify a purchase. In a recent post I mentioned about focus and attention magnifying minor 'diminishing return' improvements, I guess their focus is on those graphs. My issue is that they then absolutely deny any possibility of any change/improvement and happily add their point to discussions knocking people with different experiences.

I'm not knocking their choice of beliefs as people with a deep understanding and love of tech may enjoy measuring gear but it seems to deny them a beauty of music or choice of gear. The WM1A apparently measures poorly and was written off by that site, Redcarmoose was rather meanly shot down making his point. Look how many pages and posts on the old and current thread for the WM1A(1Z).

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #7,586 of 9,645
If a tree falls over in a forest and he's not able to measure it....

I find it peculiar that they seem to listen mostly with their eyes almost shutting off their ears. I believe that technology cannot match the complexity of the human ear and that at times in some situations we can perceive more than a machine.

I'm not knocking their choice of beliefs but it may deny them a beauty of music. The WM1A apparently measures poorly and was written off by that site, Redcarmoose was sadly shot down in its defence. Look how many pages and posts on the old and current thread for the WM1A(1Z). How many have been put off by their thread?
Excellent point, God I cant wait for the next WM1A, I would really like a Good streaming/DAP. Hence why I keep knocking this thread for USB-Dongle Dacs recommendations for the Z1R.

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #7,587 of 9,645
Has anyone committed the ultimate cardinal sin of trying Dolby Atmos via PC on the Z1R? lol

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #7,588 of 9,645
Has anyone committed the ultimate cardinal sin of trying Dolby Atmos via PC on the Z1R? lol
No, but I wouldn't mind trying it out to see what effect it has on the Z1R's.

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #7,589 of 9,645
listen mostly with their eyes

AUDITONing headphones and gear with the eyes... all this numbers and graphs at the end of the day doesn't really matters that much as the reviewer will base their like or dislike of the product on their own personal tastes. You can maybe buy some products this way but is there anyone that keeps audio gear because it measures excellent but the tuning is awful to them?. I've often see this pattern with some reviewers, they tend to focus mostly on the good qualities about products from brands they like the house sound and forgive, downplay or even excuse the issues (fit, weight, materials, construction or price), and when they review other products from a different brand that is not of their personal preference, they don't seem so forgiving about the product flaws or excited about the highlights, even if the product is well received by many. Of course this is not an absolute and there is also the possibility that the review is favoring the gear by external factors too, but that's another topic. With enough time, we can see the tendencies of the reviewers we read or watch.

Before i bought the Z1R i read and watch as many reviews as i could about it, both positives and negatives. I even bought it after watching the infamous "i prefer the M50" review and been aware of the occasional treble peaks, because i liked the general consensus of the sound profile that people were telling about the Z1R, good fit and detail retrieval, excellent bass and soundstage for a close back. It fitted my preferences.

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #7,590 of 9,645

Attachments

• hohoho.jpg
    hohoho.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back