Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 13, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #7,591 of 9,690
Oct 25, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #7,592 of 9,690
hey guys,

I have these running on a dx300 on high gain. It actually runs on lower volume than my Sundara... but I prefer the Sundara. Does this need more juice to open up? I found I preferred the Sundara over the He 6 Se as well, which I think is because they were under powered and lacked resolution as a result.

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #7,593 of 9,690
hey guys,

I have these running on a dx300 on high gain. It actually runs on lower volume than my Sundara... but I prefer the Sundara. Does this need more juice to open up? I found I preferred the Sundara over the He 6 Se as well, which I think is because they were under powered and lacked resolution as a result.
They require burn time of about 200 hours. They are easy to drive, butthey do scale well with more power. DMP drove thwm very well (store demo units)

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #7,594 of 9,690
What amp are You running?
I tested the Z1R with DX300 with AMP11/12 but that wasn't for me, there is not enough slam I think. Maybe You have to attach an external Amp per LINEOUT...
hey guys,

Oct 25, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #7,596 of 9,690
They require burn time of about 200 hours. They are easy to drive, butthey do scale well with more power. DMP drove thwm very well (store demo units)
Hmm. Got them used. Maybe it snecause I'm comparing them with my Sundaras, which are open back. Idk. I'll keep listening to them

Oct 25, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #7,597 of 9,690
I got the Kann Alpha yesterday and they power the Z1R perfectly, better than any other device that I have tried including the DX300, Never heard my Z1R sound this good.
20211025_171655.jpg
:)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #7,598 of 9,690
Got my dekoni velour pads a while back. Forgot to make a post about them.
Well, i don't really like them. The added thickness makes them uncomfortable.. too much clamping force and the increased distance from the drivers changes the sound signature. They also seem to be more narrow in the ear channels and the pads seem to cover up more of the the drivers, almost laying flat on top of the mesh over the fibonacci thingamabob on the forward facing portion wheras the stock pads flare out somewhat as to not do that. This obviously also affects the sound signature and maybe even more so than the couple of extra mm padding.
My issue to begin with is that my skin got irritated with the stock pads which in retrospect i think has to do with the tight seal combined with me buying a new shaver a while back (and maybe the humidity of the season).. i have rather smooth skin (humblebrag) so the seal is very tight which is why i looked into the dekoni velour pads and also because i didn't want to swap the inserts from the stock ones. Dekoni was the only company to satisfy this requirement and i can see why considering that these cans are very niche to begin with so not many are willing to fork over the extra funds to machine inserts.
Bottom line is that these pads, being advertised as premium products should atleast have the same dimensions as the stock pads and they could also have marked them with color codes on the inserts as with the stock pads to reduce confusion... this is a minor point though, but i can easily see someone breaking something in the confusion. They also did not feel as tacticle when attaching them as the stock ones.. they were more flimsy in that regard.
What i've learned from all of this is that Sony put a lot of thought into the pads.
Other information that might be relevant is that i have a narrow skull and my ears are medium to large.

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #7,599 of 9,690
Interesting. In general, not my jam. Mine are going up for sale. I think I'm too used to open back at this point. $1100 if anyone wants them.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #7,600 of 9,690
Interesting. In general, not my jam. Mine are going up for sale. I think I'm too used to open back at this point. $1100 if anyone wants them.
I'm experiencing the same thing where I'm finding my preference for open backs are reducing my time on the Z1Rs.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #7,601 of 9,690
I'm experiencing the same thing where I'm finding my preference for open backs are reducing my time on the Z1Rs.
ha! I'm the polar opposite, I've had some open backs and I find Dynamic closed (in this case hybrid) more fun to listen to. I always have to raise the volume much higher just to get the sound right, hence why I opted for this Gem.

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #7,602 of 9,690
My issue to begin with is that my skin got irritated with the stock pads which in retrospect i think has to do with the tight seal combined with me buying a new shaver a while back (and maybe the humidity of the season)..
He got the solution 😎

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-092313__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-092313__01.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 0
Oct 26, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #7,603 of 9,690
That's very normal - in fact, in the general sense, a predilection for open headphones is the customary conclusion for a majority of audiophiles. IMO, closed-back headphones are usually the better choice if your style of music (e.g. EDM) is heavily dependent on its inherent characteristics, or if your surrounding environment is not conducive toward enjoying music with open-back cans.

I've tried to enjoy open-back headphones, and I've given them a fair shake. However, as about 3/4 of my music library consists of EDM, an open headphone simply won't suffice for the task; in that regard, the MDR-Z1R functions brilliantly.

With that being said, enjoying your music in the best possible manner should always be the ultimate goal, I feel. Happy listening! :)

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #7,604 of 9,690
Greetings from Spain!!
I have "dived" for the thread but:
Which "desktop" amplifier (with USB DAC if possible) do you recommend for a Windows PC based equipment? With a budget of less than € 1000.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #7,605 of 9,690
Any fellow Sony Kimber cable users — could you let me know if the below marks/circle indentations are normal to see on the plug only after a couple weeks or use?
I am not noticing any adverse affects but was just wondering if the wear on the connector looks fine and is normal.
Photo below for reference.

77D7AA44-9007-462C-9924-4E2740FDA4EC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back