Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 8, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #7,561 of 9,645
It’s not hard to remove the ring from the stock pads (it is not glued in) and you can put if back in again.
Thanks for the reply, good to know you can put the stock pads back, i was wondering about this.

Positioning the new pads is trial and error but based on other phones the thicker pert of the pad should be at the back.

Sorry, i did not specify my question. I was refering to the "eveness" of the thicker part of the pads, do the move after locking the ring?

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #7,562 of 9,645
There are 4 different kind of Dekoni ear pads, which one are people recommending? I am in Canada, not much option other than amazon.com or some overpriced website.

Here is the detailed gerelmx1986 review if you wanna read it completely: DEKONI ELITE Pads for MDR-Z1R

but basically his conclusions are:

From left to right the pads I prefer the most

VELOUR >= HYBRID > SHEEPSKIN > FENESTRATED SHEEPSKIN > STOCK

TL;DR

The working of all the pads, the craftsmanship is superb on all of the pads, also this applies to wearing comfort. Packaging is nice, could be more stylish, f.e the Boxes in black and a bit of gold for the Elite series IMHO.

The pads all clean the prominent bass that the stock sony pads have, but there are some caveats, the fenestrated sheepskin pads kills the bass entirely making the Z1R harsh sounding. The best balance of bass/mid/high detail clarity are the velour and Hybrid. And the Non-fenestrated sheepskin pads give a reference tonality without the harsh character of the fenestrated pads.

It would be interesting to have all the pads, an use them as a way to tune the Z1R.

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #7,563 of 9,645
Thanks for the reply, good to know you can put the stock pads back, i was wondering about this.

Sorry, i did not specify my question. I was refering to the "eveness" of the thicker part of the pads, do the move after locking the ring?
No they stay in place. There is a small locator peg on the rings that go into a hole on the stock pads. These replacement pads dont have the hole but friction keeps them in place

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #7,564 of 9,645

They stay in place, there’s a peg that fixates the assy to the Headphone body.
IMO i like this as opissed to the MDR-Z7 1st Gen that used a screw to fix the pads in place

Oct 8, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #7,565 of 9,645
No they stay in place. There is a small locator peg on the rings that go into a hole on the stock pads. These replacement pads dont have the hole but friction keeps them in place

They stay in place, there’s a peg that fixates the assy to the Headphone body.
IMO i like this as opissed to the MDR-Z7 1st Gen that used a screw to fix the pads in place

Thanks!

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #7,566 of 9,645
I wanted to ask, is anyone listening to their Z1R via a phone Dongle Dac/amp? Is this a viable option for the Z1R on mobile? If so which is a good one.

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #7,567 of 9,645
I wanted to ask, is anyone listening to their Z1R via a phone Dongle Dac/amp? Is this a viable option for the Z1R on mobile? If so which is a good one.
I’ve tried with the iBasso DC04 and that works ok

Oct 9, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #7,568 of 9,645
I’ve tried with the iBasso DC04 and that works ok
Perfect, wonder which would suit best, the DC04 or the Astell & Kern dongle Dac, in terms of power and whatnot.

Oct 11, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #7,570 of 9,645
Oct 11, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #7,572 of 9,645
MDR-Z1R are semi-open backs right?
They are vented closed back so do leak a little but not enough that my wife have complained which she did on the Dennon D2000

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #7,573 of 9,645
They are vented closed back so do leak a little but not enough that my wife have complained which she did on the Dennon D2000
Yes they do leak also from outside (same with the IER-Z1R) i can heard a bit of the TV sound if loud enough, outside noises when windows are open

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #7,574 of 9,645
Yes they do leak also from outside (same with the IER-Z1R) i can heard a bit of the TV sound if loud enough, outside noises when windows are open
When I talk about leaking it is more leaking out so the world can hear what you play

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #7,575 of 9,645
When I talk about leaking it is more leaking out so the world can hear what you play
NC8000, How's that iBasso DC04 holding up over time? I am interested in this device to pair with my Z1R for portable use. Altho, online reviews have casted a bit of doubt in me when it comes to the Hardware QC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back